Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

I am thinking Kiwi can be applied so it isn't so rough..
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Bet you're getting satisfaction giving her such a right royal treat. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

The satisfaction is there because I can see the end product in my mind, but the work getting there is pure drudgery, and taking her apart is a little scary. But yes...a good project that was on the list of things to do for too long. The boats are my proudest construction achievements and Clara is the queen of the fleet (if 3 boats make a fleet).
I have found that after about 5 hours I have to stop. The sanding is so slow it just gets to me after a while. I'm thinking another week at least before I go to the next steps, which are playing in my head the entire time. It's hard not to stop sanding and deal with them, but I know the best course is to get everything prepped before moving on.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Great looking work cape man!

The picture of you looking closely at the little piece of sand paper is funny stuff! :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Looking good Capeman,
I used Kiwi grip on the sole of my OD18 and I'm always barefoot and I really like it. Maybe I didn't go too agressive when I applied it :doh: but it holds up so well because of the people who get into my boat with work boots on. One thing I'll say, don't go White on the sole, I did and it's way too bright. I did white on my pontoon also but redid it this last year with the light grey and that really helped. I'd like to do that with my OD but watching you I don't know if I have the stamina to do it? or maybe just do as I did on the pontoon and go over the white not remove it.
Clara is going to look just like a new boat, maybe I missed it, but what colors are you going with??
Looking forward to your finish.
Keep up the good work.
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Great work, Cape Man. Your lament is of course shared by all...which is why I built a much less ambitious boat. But I was kept on the job by knowing that if I got too lazy, I'd always have to be apologizing for this or that little thing, even when other people didn't see it. I wanted to put the work behind me with no regrets.
Tony

cape man

Post by cape man »

One thing I'll say, don't go White on the sole, I did and it's way too bright. I did white on my pontoon also but redid it this last year with the light grey and that really helped.
When you say way too bright, are you talking glare? Do you find the light grey gets hot in the sun? When I painted the decks the first time I added a hint of blue to the white paint to help with the glare. The downside was that I did it by eye, so trying to match the color later was impossible and as I started repairing dings, the new glass over the rub rails, and the issues on the transom I ended up with a marked contrast between the original color and the new paint. I am going to buy a standard EMC color this time and hopefully have left overs to store for any later repairs. I have ordered a color card from them but the plan is some form of white outside and in. They have 15 different whites! :roll: If anyone has used any of them I'd be glad to hear what you used and how it came out.

I used a System 3 anti skid additive to the paint the first time which held up great, but the Kiwi Grip has got my interest...

Does anyone know if you can tint Kiwi Grip?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cape Man, They say you can tint it. Also have heard that both Lowe's and Home Depot will tint it for you!! Jeff

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Well if nothing else...you proved the strength of your transom 8O :D . She's looking awesome. Gonna be a new boat again soon enough!

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

cape man

Post by cape man »

Not today...called a halt to work after a weird trip to the grocery store. Plus it is stinking hot!