Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:25 pm Not today...called a halt to work after a weird trip to the grocery store. Plus it is stinking hot!
you do know we need the rest of the story.
Got a problem with heat here too....................it hit 32 for a while :roll:

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Capeman,
The light grey is not hot on the feet. But being in Arizona that is the reason I went with white to keep the heat down. But the grey is just a tad grey, Enough to keep the glare at bay but not dark enough to make it hot.
Hope that helps.
I you want I can put some grey on some white and show you the difference???
Completed: FL14, OD18

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Is the color or the gloss? On my jeep it was the gloss. some 400g wet paper fixed it...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'm not going pure white on the paint, so a slightly darker/pigmented kiwi would be nice.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

20200418_162121.jpg
20200418_161930.jpg
Getting it a bite at a time...
Last edited by cape man on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Looks like you've putting in the hard yards to get an improved interior finish. She's going to look pretty. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Whoa you have been busy! Gonna look nice!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Well. I've sanded just enough to immediately start feeling aches and pains in my hands, back, and shoulders when I saw that pic. Impressive.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great work Cape Man!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

One last push after I relax a bit in the pool. Gave it a good 3 hours this morning until my shoulders started failing. There's some hand sanding where even the angle sander can't reach but I think I may finish this step today. Next is some epoxy in a few places where there wasn't glass below the paint and I went through the old epoxy, and along the bottom where the sanding roughed up the graphite. Then some fairing where I repaired the transom last year and the starboard bow where I tried to use the belt sander (actually, I did use it :help: ). Once satisfied, I plan to put new primer on everything, and then EMC topcoat. Hoping to NOT sand between primer and paint!