Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

I never was a motor head, but now take huge rewards from doing things like this myself. The water pump gave me a challenge as I didn't install the gear shifter sprocket properly the first time. Learned...always good to learn... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

20201106_111629.jpg
20201106_111810.jpg
20201106_111545.jpg
As we were crossing the bridge over Lake Harris I saw a flotilla of old boats that forced us off the road for a closer look. They were all together to spread the ashes of a common friend, and several asked Pattie and I to go for a ride with them...very tempting, but we headed north to our "rustic" cabin on the St. John's river in Astor. Ramp is 200 feet from where we are staying and they have a covered boat slip area.

We had enough time to complete the southern adventure planned this afternoon. South to lake Dexter then lake Woodruff then a winding, no wake trip through north dead river/Highland cutoof/Ziegler Dead river that runs through the middle of the Woodruff National Wildlife refuge. Then back up the St. John's to home. Saw 4 boats the entire way once we were south of Astor.
20201106_140310.jpg
20201106_155443.jpg
What a gorgeous way to spend a day!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It is too bad you did not have time to take them up on the offer. There were some great looking craft there.
That is a neat looking area you and Patti are in. Seems to be a great trip.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

cape man wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:22 pm
What a gorgeous way to spend a day!
That last picture is the kinda stuff I dearly miss about living in the south.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

cape man

Post by cape man »

20201107_075626.jpg
20201107_075639.jpg
20201107_105227.jpg
I said it was rustic... 8) But perfect for what we wanted.
Ran up into Lake George and Silver Glen Springs. As we got into the lake the wind was picking up and we were on the west side with winds ENE catching the full fetch of Florida's second largest lake. Pulled the plug on a further north trip to Salt Springs and headed home around 11 am. Good call! Wind was up to 15 and we pounded home through 2 to 3 foot "chop". Clara ran past several bigger boats like she owned it. I got wet, but put Pattie on the dry side. Let her run us home in the river, which put a smile on her birthday face.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Oh yeah! The fishing! Who knows? I haven't wet a line.😎

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I am sure it is nice to be able to get out and enjoy the nice weather.
So now that you have run the boat some what do you think of the splash rails?

cape man

Post by cape man »

Can't believe I ran it for 8+ years without them. Would have been soaked today running quarter into the waves with 15 knot winds. As it was the only time I got wet was when the bow dug in.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Cape man's dory build thread continues to report on a golden phase ...... enjoyment of a craft hand built then tweaked over the years.

It's my favourite Bateau2 build, then enjoy the years of tweaks, narrative. Thanks cape man! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Well shucks! :oops: Glad you like it, and am enjoying your continuing thread as well. I always love pictures and stories of the boats after they are launched, including how problems and mishaps are dealt with.

The 70 to 80% rain they predicted has never happened. The wind...well they were right on that one. We have another full day here, so may head south again today, staying in the river. Bought her a new camera with accessories for her birthday, so my idea is to use the boat as a photography tour boat for the wife today. The area is indeed scenic!