Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

Well shucks! :oops: Glad you like it, and am enjoying your continuing thread as well. I always love pictures and stories of the boats after they are launched, including how problems and mishaps are dealt with.

The 70 to 80% rain they predicted has never happened. The wind...well they were right on that one. We have another full day here, so may head south again today, staying in the river. Bought her a new camera with accessories for her birthday, so my idea is to use the boat as a photography tour boat for the wife today. The area is indeed scenic!
20201108_085203.jpg
20201108_092333.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

After a nice breakfast of eggs and bacon we headed south again up the St. John's to Alexander Springs creek. Took it less than a third of the way before it got too narrow, shallow, and tangled with dead falls to continue. Pattie took us home from the mouth of the creek at WOT which put a huge smile on her face.

Wind is now gusting to 20+ so Clara is back on the trailer for tomorrow's trip home.
20201108_115655.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I agree with Glossie about loving your thread. And it was very nice of you to get Patti a birthday present that we get to enjoy also. Tell her to keep taking those great pictures. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful area Cape Man!!! Jeff

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Just wanted to echo what everyone else has posted. I’ve followed this thread since it started and love seeing the life of Clara after the first splash. Keeps me inspired when I don’t seem to be getting anywhere with mine. Please thank your wife for the great pictures and keep on with the thread.
Alan.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Woke up early to the winds gusting to 25 and spitting rain. We definitely got the weather window despite the predictions for the weekend. Clara is back under her shed and awaiting her next adventure. I may take my son back to the same area as I know he would love it. That was my first time on the St. John's and it was gorgeous! The area south of Astor where we stayed is about as pristine as it gets, especially the voyage through the Lake Woodruff National Wildlife refuge. We did that the first afternoon when we were facing sundown for a return, so we just motored through. Lots of places i want to stop and turn the engine off if i can get back there. I love being anywhere in this state that now is pushing 23 million humans, and only seeing 6 of them in 50 miles!
Fairweather Pilot, that boat you are building is awesome. Who knows...maybe one day we go for a cruise together...

Oh...and of course she got lots of compliments everywhere we went. People do love a home made boat!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good stuff Cape Man!!! Glad you guys had a great trip!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

When I replaced the water pump impeller I had to remove the trim tab anode, and regrettably did not look at it before removing to see how it was positioned. On the trip it was very hard to turn the helm to port on plane. The NFB helm kept it steady, but turning was hard...very hard. I had the tab turned about 5 degrees to the left.
The tab and the other 3 anodes were showing corrosion. I used a wire wheel to clean the 3 that are on the lower part of the bracket, and bought a new trim tab anode. I positioned it pretty much straight on. The mechanic where I bought the engine said (and I quote) "it will make a difference one way or the other". I can adjust it after running again, but does anyone have advice on which way it should go with a 4 blade right hand turn prop?
20201125_140254.jpg
20201125_140303.jpg
20201125_140326.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Sounds like you need some help going to port. Move the back of the trim tab to port. Move it from 6 oclock to around 8. you can always fine tune it from there.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:33 pm The mechanic where I bought the engine said (and I quote) "it will make a difference one way or the other".
Smart bloke .... bit like a scientist. :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).