Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by glossieblack »

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Thank you GB!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Dolphin Cape Man!! Hope dinner was good!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Dang do they even get much bigger than that? Sounds like you had a fun trip :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Nice Bull!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Good deal cape man. Nice fish should keep you in filets for a little while.

Fuzz yea they go double that in size I caught a 40lb one on our honeymoon in St. Thomas over 40 years ago. Gave it to the mates as a tip. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Back home and Clara is parked under her cover. She did fantastic on the drive down and back, and was a dream on the water. The new 70 hp and four blade prop make her a completely different, and better boat. Me and my "pushing" 300 pound giant friend and two coolers and she jumped right up and ran 28 mph at wot. The new prop allows me to raise the jack plate to the full 6" and it still grabs the water, allowing me to run across some flats that were les than a foot deep! Could not believe it! I was sure we were going to bottom out, but I never did (my brother in his 17' Key West did...). Still only pushing 5500 rpms at wide wot with just me and no gear so think I can drop an inch in pitch... but she was running 32 mph which is almost too fast for an OD18 already.

Tuesday we ran to Content Key and the scenery was awesome. Saw a lot of fish, but only caught a mess of undersize mangrove snappers inside a little creek that runs north to south through the island. It was one of those tiny creeks that the boat barely fit through with everything lying down on the deck, and us ducking a few times. Made me glad once again to not have a T top.

This is coming into the flats on the west side of Content Key pass. Did have to slow down and raise the engine to float across to the little channel we went through.

The house we stayed in belongs to a good frien, in a small community on the northern end of Big Pine Key, the main island that is home to the "endangered" Florida Key deer. We had a herd of 12 walk through the yard, as they prefer the landscaping and garbage of the homes to the harsh "woods" on the island. If you walk downstairs they come right up to you begging for food.

Obviously this one doesn't know who I am!

Wednesday we hit a patch reef in about 20 feet of water, my older brother Michael fishing with me. We landed some nice mackerel, including a big Cero, a couple of beautiful Vermillion snapper, and a yellowtail. On the way in we threw fresh ballyhoo chunks (which I netted on the patch reef) around some large mangoves that were blown onto the flats by hurricane Irma, and caught the rest of our limit on snapper. My other brother and friend, fishing within 20 yard of us caught 3 fish! Was a magical day, as my older brother and I had not fished alone like that for decades. That's him on the right and my younger brother on the left. My younger brother is smiling but he was hurting as he got skunked...

My broythers left Thursday morning and Jim and I went back out to the same spot again with the blown out mangroves, incoming tide versus out going, and caught 10 more keeper Mangrove's on Thursday morning. Came back, and loaded the boat. The deer showed up again at 1 pm under the house as we were cleaning. This little old girl had no teeth left, and was actually pawing (hoofing?) at Jim to feed her.

Ran down to Key West and had Lion Fish for dinner that my friend that took us off shore gave us, getting them cooked at the Hogfish Grill (actually on Stock Island). If you ever go to the Keys, I highly recommend it as a place to visit. Tucked inside a very working class neighborhood of circa 1960's trailers and on a working harbor, it is truly a local place with great food and atmosphere. After that we hit the Green Parrot in Key West proper (my favorite dive!), and got back home yesterday evening. Dropped my friend off at 6 am at the Tampa airport this morning for his trip home to Gig Harbor, Washinton with an extra bag with 40 pounds of fish and 2 pounds of venison...

NO the venison was from my property here!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man if your only running 5500 with only you, at 200 rpm's an inch you could go down several inches. Max rpm's is 5300-6300 rpms on your Yamaha 70. So 6300 - 5500 = 800/200 is 4 inches that you can drop. If you want to be safe just drop 3" that will put you around 6100 rpms.

Your trip sounded wonderful.

Good luck with your prop.

Tom

PS 4/8 You should not change speed much as your exchanging pitch for rpm's. Say 6100 with a 13 pitch vs 5500 with a 16 pitch.
Last edited by TomW1 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

topwater

Post by topwater »

Looks like you had an awesome time :!: Key deer crack me up , never seen a deer so small until i started
going to the keys. Everytime i see them i think to myself how easy it would be to club them like a baby seal 8O
I would never be able to do it but i did think it. Probably one of the reasons they are endangered .
Novi 23 finally launched !

cape man

Post by cape man »

They didn't behave like this until they were protected! They know humans are not predators, in fact they have no predators anymore. The screw flies did a job on them last year, and hurricane Irma washed out some of them, but based on what i saw last week they are doing fine.