Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by TomW1 »

Hi cape man checking in to see if you have changed your prop yet and how it changed the characteristics of Clara.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Have a great 60th celebration Craig, and a happy birthday! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Best wishes for your 60 th birthday Craig, I will never forget my round one high lighted by celebrating it with you and Patty and all the others when you launched Hermine in Homosassa.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Each year our fisheries program and FWC put on a little one-day tournament in Cedar Key, and Saturday was this year's. Drove up Friday and put the boat in the water (you can barely see her near the ramp, and on the inside of the dock).
The weather has been wet, windy, and nasty for the past week(s), but we were treated to a nice sunset while we were walking off an excellent meal.
Saturday the weather was awesome, so I took Clara and two guys out to Seahorse reef to catch some Mackerel. The bite was on, and we brought in 15 fish with one big one that lost by 10 mm for the biggest fish. Ended up running 15 miles out and back, trying to find some Kingfish (no joy). The boat is running awesome! Last year I had the same crew and gear, and was struggling to stay on plane with the load. This year we were running 27 miles per hour!

The mackerel bite was also good for everyone else! After eating all we could at the evening fish fry, I ended up with a cooler full of fish to take home. Gutted and de-headed 29 fish Sunday afternoon, and borrowed a friend's smoker on Monday.

Have about 5 of them I am turning into spread tonight, and sealed and froze the rest for later in the year.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice CapeMan!!! Glad she is running great!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

One more pic...

The tournament is largest trout, redfish, mackerel, and cobia, but has a "most impressive cooler" award as well. One boat came in with 45 mackerel! They are considering dropping or amending that category... 8O
Last edited by cape man on Thu May 24, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Good looking fish....
It's been close to a year since I have fished off a boat I owned!!

Going to Publix to buy some fish!!! :D :D :D

Had snapper last night, not the same as fresh.
Last edited by Capt UB on Thu May 24, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It looks like both you and Patti had a good time :!: That is a fine mess of fish. You will have to either eat a bunch or you have plenty for a while :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Another interesting update thanks cape man1 :D

Nearly a year ago, following a comment I had posted about the Finished Boast section of this forum, the Bateau2 team contacted me expressing an interest in improving the section, and asking how I thought this may be achieved.

Towards the end of my response I wrote:

‘So my conclusion re harvesting information about post build use, adventures, modifications and maintenance is to actively encourage builders to continue what started as their build threads, and to continue posting long after splashing. For me, the role model would be capeman’s wonderfully evocative and witty account of ongoing use, maintenance, equipment updates, adventures, attendance at builders’ meets etc. By comparison, I strongly suspect that trying to tweak the Finished Boats section will not be as effective’.

This latest post by cape man illustrates the point. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks Michael. I plan to keep posting reports of her adventures as long as she's mine, and keep them here on this thread. I have some new (but same as the old) issues with the glass delaminating from the wood on the fore deck that has me really steamed, and she needs a new paint job. Not looking forward to the work, but more importantly having her out of work for that long. This time of year I like to bring her to work which is about 15 minutes to the ramp, and with summer hours gives me 4 hours plus of boating and fishing after work.

I also like the idea of builders keeping track after the splash. Barraman's adventures are some of my favorite reads, and I can't wait to see that gorgeous boat of yours all trashed up with oyster shells and slime. :D