Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by Jeff »

Nice Cape Man!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

20201012_100629(0).jpg
Last day of fishing with my friend from Washington state. Caught undersize Snook, snapper, and a little grunt. Ran 28 miles and burned 4.34 gallons. Laying in the pool...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Tough life you are having to endure there buddy :roll:

cape man

Post by cape man »

I got on Google earth today and measured the routes we took last week in Everglades City. Not counting the trolling we ran 112 miles and burned less than 20 gallons of gas. That was with three men, two coolers, and tackle. I was showing off her skills quite a bit (she was getting 30 mph with the newly adjusted prop! 8) 8) ) so could do much better if I laid off the throttle some. 5.5 mpg is still pretty sweet.
everglades 2020.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great results Cape Man!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 pm Dry rubbed with 4 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of sea salt overnight. Rinsed well this morning and liberally sprinkled with Everglades Heat seasoning. Smoked for maybe 3 hours at 150F. Chilling it down and will make spread out of some tomorrow and vacuum seal and freeze some for another time.
Sounds good guy :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

So brining mackerel with that recipe sucks! Turned it into rubber, especially on the edges. Flavor was awesome, and my friends and coworkers loved it, but it was an absolute PITA to get the meat separated from the skin and bones, and I did not like the "chew". Live and learn...

Am doing some overdue maintenance on the motor. Lower unit lube and water/fuel separator today. Ordered new plugs and a water pump kit that should be here next week.

We have a cabin reserved on the St. John's river for 3 nights the first weekend of November to celebrate the big 6-0 for the bride. Mapped out two days of adventure, one south, and one north of the small town of Astor, each about 50 miles round trip. This is a trip we were planning with the Cracker and Dori, but he got sick before we could make it happen.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:32 pm So brining mackerel with that recipe sucks! Turned it into rubber, especially on the edges. Flavor was awesome, and my friends and coworkers loved it, but it was an absolute PITA to get the meat separated from the skin and bones, and I did not like the "chew". Live and learn...

Am doing some overdue maintenance on the motor. Lower unit lube and water/fuel separator today. Ordered new plugs and a water pump kit that should be here next week.

We have a cabin reserved on the St. John's river for 3 nights the first weekend of November to celebrate the big 6-0 for the bride. Mapped out two days of adventure, one south, and one north of the small town of Astor, each about 50 miles round trip. This is a trip we were planning with the Cracker and Dori, but he got sick before we could make it happen.
cape man sorry your mackerel came out so bad. I never brine bone in fish, like you to much trouble to get the flesh off. A total PITA. At least you have a brine that tastes good.

Congrats to your wifes 6-0 enjoy yourselves.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Oil and filter, water pump impeller, lower unit lube, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel/water separator...ready for more adventures! Did it all myself which showed how easy it is.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:47 pm Oil and filter, water pump impeller, lower unit lube, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel/water separator...ready for more adventures! Did it all myself which showed how easy it is.
And you know it's done right. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).