Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by BrianC »

glossieblack wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:47 am
cape man wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:33 pm The mechanic where I bought the engine said (and I quote) "it will make a difference one way or the other".
Smart bloke .... bit like a scientist. :wink:
To be fair, it depends...it should go one way in the northern hemisphere and the other in the southern!
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Going to try and take her out tomorrow. Will report back. Happy Thanksgiving all, even our foreign friends! A day to reflect on all the things we have to be thankful for, and when you stop and do that I'm always surprised by how much I have to be thankful for.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

The anode doesn't steer the boat, but pushes the lower unit . Adjusted it straight back and she runs fine.

Day one of a week with my son and we started with two nights in Everglades City. The weather at the Cape tonight and tomorrow is iffy, so we're treating ourselves to two nights at the Rod and Gun Club before heading south. Caught a mess of mangrove snapper in the mouth of the Ferguson River and took the boat to a restaurant on the Baron River where they did it justice.

Sunset after with a cold beer.
20210102_164025.jpg
20210102_171803.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Looks fun. Treasure the moments.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

On the water at dawn after a big breakfast and headed down to the Chatham River and the Watson place where Edgar Watson grew sugar cane at the turn of the 19th century. Bad guy...Turns out my great, great, great grandfather's brother, was his grandfather.
20210103_072353.jpg
20210103_090047.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Always figured there was some pirate in your dna :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Change of plans... we opted out of heading to the Cape for several reasons, one being my son needed to complete some things to register for next semester at UF. Instead, we have been taking the time to hike the numerous trails near the house on the county's environmental land.
20210107_084449.jpg
20210107_112726.jpg
The weather has been awesome and the trails have been empty. He has walked all of them many times but this was my first. Was nice to have a well educated tour guide. Amazing properties we have purchased and locked up in the area.

The downside is I was home to witness the train wreck in DC, something I saw coming and was looking forward to missing if we had been on Cape Sable...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful place Cape Man!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Looks like delightful hiking country. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Early December I was waking up from deep REM sleep with a really strong, new and unique pain in the left side of my chest. Ignored it for a week and then started worrying. Went to see a doctor on December 11th who after checking me out, sent me to the ER. Spent 24 hours there. 2 EKGs, chest Xray, echocardiogram, 3 blood panels later, and I went home with everything negative. Low level CT scan of the entire torso the second week of January ruled out cancer. Just got the results of a nuclear stress test back,and the ticker is good.

Turns out I probably pulled the muscles on the side of my chest while chain sawing the tree and repairing the boat house. Good news is my lungs and heart are good, and we are making some lifestyle changes including managing my blood pressure (slightly high) and cholesterol (moderately high). After 50 years I'm working on kicking nicotine! I retire in 2 years, and don't want to be "that guy" - the one who worked all his life only to get sick and die after.

This is why I bailed on a solo trip to Cape Sable with my son. If it was something serious I didn't want to put it on him to get us home or even back to Flamingo.

Rescheduling for February before it gets to bug season.