Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Transom issues on Clara!

Post by PNWcx25 »

Sweeeet!

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Wow, that looks good. I just noticed the steering cable in the picture. Are you using a teleflex cable or am I missing the hydrolic pipe in the picture? I wanted to use a teleflex cable as it’s only a small boat but wondered about the sharp bends caused by setting the motor back on a jack plate as you have done.
Alan.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Its a teleflex with an NFB helm.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

topwater

Post by topwater »

New yammie looks real purdy :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

I just noticed the dyslexic way I spelled hydraulic. I blame autocorrect or my fat fingers! Thanks, knowing you have a teleflex working with that setback helps me get back to my original build ideas.
Alan.

cape man

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

Thought I'd revisit this old thread for this one. New 70hp Yamaha installed and today we took it out on the Alafia River near Riverview for a 2 hour break in, first hour up and back through a no wake zone for an hour, varying between 1000 and 2000 rpm, and then an hour getting her on plane and backing down to keep her there. It was cold!!!

I can tell I am going to love this motor.

- It is quieter than the 40 was. Blew my mind when I cranked it!

- It jumps on plane in less than a boat length. Hit the throttle and she's up!

- At 3200 rpms she stays on plane and runs 18-19 mph. At 3800 we were doing 25 mph, which is faster than the 40 would take her with two on board at WOT. Didn't go past that, so no idea what she will turn at WOT.

- The 4 blade aluminum prop (13X16) allows me another 2" of jacking before it loses any grip, and at another inch it is still grabbing well and pumping lots of water.

Tomorrow I am going to go out in the bay and giver her full throttle (no more than 5 minutes at a time) and will report back. I'm thinking the prop may go down to a 13 X 15 but waiting for the true numbers at WOT.

I still believe that a lighter built OD18 would be fine with a 40hp, and got 8 years of joy out of my fat girl rigged like that, but man is this motor sweet! At just over 50 lbs heavier than the 40, there was also no apparent change in the trim.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Bet it feels like you have a whole new boat. Man Patti looks like she is cold there. But a good sport to go with you even if it was cold :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cape Man, really happy the Yamaha 70 HP worked well for you!! Did you like the guys at Lindsey??? Jeff

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Nice report AHAB.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

Kevin Lindsay, owner of Lindsay Marine is a true gentleman and runs a very nice business. Well worth the drive to Stuart/Jensen Beach.

Fuzz it was a bitter 58 degrees F!