Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by Jeff »

Cape Man, good learning experience for all of us!! Happy holidays, Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man been there done that! :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

13.5" diameter, 13" pitch, Solas 4 blade. Hit 33 mph (too fast, started porpoising) at 6050 rpms by myself and gear. Two guys and gear, 5900 rpms at 31 mph. 3800 rpms, 21 mph. I'm calling it good! I'll report back after hauling 1000 lbs of gear to the beach.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:05 pm 13.5" diameter, 13" pitch, Solas 4 blade. Hit 33 mph (too fast, started porpoising) at 6050 rpms by myself and gear. Two guys and gear, 5900 rpms at 31 mph. 3800 rpms, 21 mph. I'm calling it good! I'll report back after hauling 1000 lbs of gear to the beach.
Looks lide you hit it right on. Don't know which Solas you got but they are good props.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Nailed it, and you didn't have to use the prop god service. :lol:
I was actually rooting for that, a guy shows up with a truckload of props... PRICELESS :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Richard, prop size depends on the cup and rake they have. He picked a Solas that may have less rake and pitch than a PowerTech. I am glad it worked out for him.

Quit laughing at me.. Larry depended on me to prop his boats. Both No Excuse which I now own and the GF18 he built for his client. I have also propped several other boats. The hardest one to prop was an FS17 with 2 bait tanks on each on each side of the motor well. He also wanted to to do water sports with his kids so put a 60HP Yamaha on it. We hit it after only 1 exchange.

I don{t know who you think you are but if you can prop these boats better them feel free to do so!!! cape man being an exception as I did not run his numbers.. :!: :doh: :doh: It seems like cape man has switched 2 or 3 props.

Tom

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:53 am Richard, prop size depends on the cup and rake they have. He picked a Solas that may have less rake and pitch than a PowerTech. I am glad it worked out for him.

Quit laughing at me.. Larry depended on me to prop his boats. Both No Excuse which I now own and the GF18 he built for his client. I have also propped several other boats. The hardest one to prop was an FS17 with 2 bait tanks on each on each side of the motor well. He also wanted to to do water sports with his kids so put a 60HP Yamaha on it. We hit it after only 1 exchange.

I don{t know who you think you are but if you can prop these boats better them feel free to do so!!! cape man being an exception as I did not run his numbers.. :!: :doh: :doh: It seems like cape man has switched 2 or 3 props.

Tom
Tom, Prop Gods is a local service here that brings a truckload of props to your boat which is on a body of water.
They let you try props until you get the right one for your boat. When you get the right one, they sell it to you plus charge a fee for their service.
http://www.propgods.com/Content2/Testin ... fault.aspx
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks Richard and Tom for the input. 8)

the aluminum, 13 x 15 that I got with the motor as a reference, will be my spare.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Can I get some advice on prop for my boat from you guys?

I need it badly.

I’ll post a new thread.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Cape man, classy rejuvenation of Clara, culminating in correct prop selection - impressive 8).

Season's best to you and yours. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).