Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

I used bolts 2" long 6-32 stainless with large fender washers and wing nuts to hold the rails and taped the edges.

Took the rails back off, mixed wood flour with epoxy and applied it liberally to the rails after I roughed them up with 60 grit. put them back on and tightened everything up until the glue started oozing out. Pushed the glue back into any gaps with my finger, and then cleaned the outside of the rails with a rag and vinegar.

Tomorrow I will pull the bolts and patch the holes with epoxy.

Was easier than I thought...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Was having more trouble posting pics than putting the rails on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Might give them a light coat of polyurethane before I pull the tape. Okay....I will. 8)

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Posting so many detailed pictures is invaluable for us because they stick in our mind and should we ever be in the spray rail mounting position we know clearly how to do it namely perfect your way. Wish you and your wife a Happy New year.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Very nice. :D

What are the cross sectional dimensions of the rails?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks guys. Remarks like that make posting worth it.

The rails are 1.5" x 3/4". I didn't want to leave the bolts in so glued the wide edge down. We launch Wed. Won't be able to post until I get back which looks like the 7th. AT&T has good cell coverage at Cape Sable, so I switched to Verizon 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

The good news is we have 6 days of light winds and warm temperatures so the fishing should be hot this year. The bad news is the bugs might be atrocious! Going grocery shopping and packing today.

Happy 2019!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Those look good Craig. You sure did a good job of taping things up to protect the rest of the boat.

Take lots of pictures on your trip. You can sort through them to edit out the innocent 8)

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Are you feeding the Yankees peas, collards and hog jowls tonight? I got mine on...
The AT&T vs Verizon thing is kind of funny, it’s all about location.
I had to buy a Verizon hot spot in order to have phone service at my hunting camp in Lake City.
My AT&T phone works great in Cape Sable. :roll:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146