Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

She caught a snook on the first bait. It went down hill from there fishing (assorted trash fish) but they had a blast.
I do NOT ever want to be a guide, but getting to know people better on a boat is awesome.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very cool Cape Man!!!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Happy birthday cape man! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thank you sir. Was a grand day.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

The wife has a job refurbishing the interpretive exhibits at John Pennikamp State Park in Key Largo. A friend gave me the keys to his house on a canal in Marathon for the week. Clara's all spiffed up and loaded with inshore and offshore gear, and we are hitting the road tomorrow morning. My brother is also coming down with his new 27 foot center console. My ultimate goal is to take her out to the hump off Marathon if we get a weather window - 25 miles out, in 1000 ft of water in the middle of the Gulfstream, but also fish closer.
20210618_172040.jpg
Pics to come...

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you get to make it offshore what will you be fishing for? And will you be doing any bottom fishing in that deep of water?

cape man

Post by cape man »

The hump is notorious for black fin tuna and other pelagics. 500 foot hump in 1000 feet of water, in the middle of the Gulfstream which runs about 7 knots. We will be strictly trolling or live baiting.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

cape man wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:21 am The hump is notorious for black fin tuna and other pelagics. 500 foot hump in 1000 feet of water, in the middle of the Gulfstream which runs about 7 knots. We will be strictly trolling or live baiting.
Sounds like the Promised Land of fish! Good luck!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That’s some serious current.

Good luck with the black fin. The dolphin/mahi have been hitting hard down that way until about last week. Hopefully they are back when you get there. My buddy paid the tax man most of this week out of key west. He was fishing so he still had me beat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

We will definitely be looking for and ready for any dolphin. Wednesday looks like the day for the hump. 5 to 10, seas 1 to 3. Clara will almost certainly be the littlest vessel out there! 8)