Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:55 am We will definitely be looking for and ready for any dolphin. Wednesday looks like the day for the hump. 5 to 10, seas 1 to 3. Clara will almost certainly be the littlest vessel out there! 8)
What she lacks in size she makes up for in great beauty!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

capeman good luck and have a really good time. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Last day in Marathon and Clara is back on the trailer. Blowing pretty good today, and if we go out we'll take my brother's 27' Sea Fox. Two offshore trips were both complete busts, including a trip to the humps. 37 boats out there and I saw 2 small tuna get caught in two hours. Wind was too much for Clara so we just fished inside. Caught enough fish for dinner 4 nights, with some awesome NY strips and spaghetti the other two.
Lots of manatees in the canals as well as mangrove snapper. My friend's place is paradise especially for boating with lots of dock space and a boat ramp on site.

We were stuck in traffic from Hell coming down on Saturday, and a guy from Alabama pulling a travel trailer pulled along side to ask if Clara was an OD16. He had built one years ago.

The OD18 still impresses everyone including me with how it handles, how shallow it can run, and how fuel efficient it is. We took two trips north to Tripod Banks and a lot of other smaller trips around Vaca Key and I still have just less than half a tank.
20210622_112020.jpg
20210624_174024.jpg
20210625_070427.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cape Man, Enjoy your last day in the Keys!!! Sounds like you guys ate really well all week!!!! Safe drive home, Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

We're going out for dinner tonight for our first restaurant meal.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

We're going out for dinner tonight for our first restaurant meal.
28127.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Boy, you guys look really happy!! Glad you are having fun and good weather!!!! Safe trip home, Jeff Also, beautiful water!!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You do not even want to know how jealous I am right about now :D

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Looking good!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:22 am Caught enough fish for dinner 4 nights, with some awesome NY strips and spaghetti.
Must be nice to afford using NY strips to catch fish! And you have some really nice looking fish to prove how well it works!

Is there anyway you could show how you was rigging the NY strips and spaghetti, never heard of using that combo. And can I use cheaper cuts of meat with the spaghetti? :doh: :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Have a safe trip getting home.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne