Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

Salt, ground black pepper, ground garlic, and Everglades Heat. Started at 9:15 am. Not a lot once I started looking at them, especially for the 5 rack, 4'x8' smoker, but will make some yummy dip.
20200920_091038.jpg
20200920_091734.jpg
20200920_094302.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Nice way to spend a day. Good to see that smoker being used again! I always like seeing some cook on something they built. I question if it is too big for that job today.! :lol:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That smoker would hold two deer and a hog at the same time 8O

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

When cruising in Great Sandy we catch Spanish Mackerel trolling, then lightly sear them as steaks. It's illegal for us to keep Spanish Mackerel smaller than 2"6". Looks to be different in Florida? :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

12" and 15 per person! They are VERY populous. May be a different species. A 2.5" Spanish here would be a monster! Now I have to do some research.... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yep...two different species with the same common name. Yours gets big like our king mackerel which has to be 24" to harvest and you can only keep 3 per person.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

What we call Spanish Mackerel has the scientific name Scomberomorus commerson. Is this what you call King Mackerel?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Our Spanish is S. maculatus, and our King is S. cavalla. S. commerson has a big global range, but not here.

And there's my early morning lesson for myself and others :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great day and great catch!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

Other than the 3 days of the boat builders meeting in July, the woman has been working 7 days a week, with 12 hour days not uncommon for the past 4 months. So, when she said Tuesday evening that she wanted to take Thursday off and go fishing, who am I to argue!
20201001_090230.jpg
20201001_093105.jpg
20201001_095424.jpg
20201001_121404.jpg
20201001_133701.jpg
Had a flood tide with the full moon which allowed us to get way back inside away from everyone. Caught half a dozen sea trout, a small redfish, a lady fish, and one mangrove snapper. Picnic on a secluded beach ( 8) ), and a nice roost of roseate spoonbills.

I told her she was an expensive date when I put 1.34 gallons in the boat....