Cedarock's HM19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I managed to work a few hours during the evenings towards the end of the week and fiberglassed more along the bottom at the stringers and chine. I also glued frame f and the motorwell sides to the bottom. And since I planned on spending all of today on the boat, it is rainy and cold. I worked a little inside, cutting frame c and cutting and glueing the clamping boards to the transom.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

chicagoross wrote: I really think we'll see a lot more of HM's and HMD's being built, they have a lot of basic creature comforts for the amount of $4/gallon gas that they burn...
I couldn't agree with you more. A beautiful 19' boat that is comfortably pushed with a 70hp engine is very much underrated in this world (maybe former world) of deep v's with twin 200hp engines.

Keep up the great work. I love the looks of the HM19.

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks fishingdan! You all are right. Personally, I wouldn't be able to afford to put gas in a 200hp boat many times through the year with today's gas prices.

I think that the hm's are eye-catching, (caught my eye :D ) and the low hp requirements will make it very functional for me. Can't wait to see it develop. But, I think that I have a problem....I like and could find a purpose for any of designs. I confess, I am a boataholic! :lol:

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Another weekend and another weekend of rain. This weather is starting to irritate me! :x I hung some tarps and installed the transom and frame C. Maybe, I can finish with the taping of the frames and around the transom during the week.

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I have been piddlin' with the taping this week and today I cut a 2 1/8" hole in the bottom of the transom and filled with epoxy putty for a drain. While I had the hole saw out, I cut an oval hole in the bottom to fill and use for a transducer mount. Without thinking, I used the same putty mixture of wood flour and epoxy to fill the transducer hole laying some bits of biaxial tape in it as it filled. I wonder if the wood flour will create any air pockets that will hinder the operations of the transducer. :doh: The mixture was on the thin side...thinner than my fillet mixture. As soon as I finished, I started thinking about others using glass strands and epoxy and can't recall anyone ever using wood flour. Think I am safe or should I cut it back out and re-do?
Last edited by cedarock on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

After it sets up, shine a light through it. Air pockets should show up. 8)
CC, D15, V10

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks gk...good idea! I am optimistically thinking that it should be okay but I will give it the ole light test.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Cedarock, IMHO this is non-critical. You've got a planing hull, the transom will always be in the water (unlike my HMD); if it turns out that the transducer doesn't work well through the area you glassed for it, you can always hang a transom transducer there. No worry!

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks and you are right Chicagoross. I am not too worried but I think it will shoot through the concoction that I made and if not, I will send her over the back!

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Made some progress this weekend! Yesterday, I finished the taping and started installing the perch for the tank. I am going to glue neoprene to the strips with 5200. The strips are two layers of 3/8" ply glued together with stainless bolts through the top layer.

I had already made up my mind that I would not try to wrestle with the hull panels in one piece, so I cut them out this morning and started installing. BTW, the nesting drawing has the bottom side panels labeled top panels. If I was not on my game, I would have been out there trying to make the top panels fit on the bottom. :lol: Anyway, I got all of the pieces secured to the frames and found that I was going to have a gap at the bow. Fortunately, I decided to install the panels in pieces because I was able to go back and put a small gap at each seam which helped lesson the gap in the bow. I still had a 5/8" gap. I glued a strip of plywood in there and will round it off with putty. It seems that I recall reading about Uncle Ralph having a similiar problem.

And here she is from above...it is really starting to grow now! :)