Cedarock's HM19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I must have been wrong! I searched and could find nothing on a gap in the bow. Oh well....it will be fine. I will have to think about it again when I mount the upper panels!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I had the same problem with my upper panels at the stem. Sam fixed it by suggesting a mold out of 2 pieces of plywood, covered in plastic and hinged with duct tape. We put this over the outside of the stem and poured it with thickened epoxy and chopped fibers. Let me try to find a picture.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Here it is....

This worked great!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks Larry...that might be what I was thinking about. Good idea and that should work great!

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

I had a similar problem in my build as well, placed small narrow strip of ply and used thickend epoxy to help finish shaping the bow.

your build seems to moving along well , looking forward to seeing more 8)

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks Colonial....I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. It has been too cool in the evenings this week to do anything. Hope to get back at it tomorrow evening. This cool weather has given me a chance to catch up on the things that I have ignored during the last couple of weeks like mowing the yard.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

My HMD surprised me be having every panel fit together exactly. It wasn't due to my stitch and glue experience! :help: Don't know if it was just luck or if it's easier to build upside down on a jig like the HMD is... Anyhow, sounds like you got a handle on it. Nice progress on your build, Cedarock!

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Installed the tank and all of the cleats for the sole today. Thanks to Larry, the suspended ones were a snap with the hot glue. I guess I will give it a few days for the epoxy to cure before making a mess with the foam. Tomorrow, I hope to finish the taping in the cabin area.
I first looked at the cleats on the sides and thought, how could they be arched when they are at the same level as the top of the stringers. After putting a straight edge back on them, I saw that it was an optical illusion. Had me worried for a bit! :) You can see it in the pic. The front and rear appears to be lower than the middle.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

You're really moving along, having that much interior bits and pieces done aleady! Cedarock, are you working on this full time? Nice progress!

donk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by donk »

cederock,
I'm impressed too.
If I do build anything bigger I plan to use something like what you have for structure to accomplish it. My garage just isn' t big enough and the wife really isn't happy with fairing dust in the house.
Keep up the good work.

don