FL26 build in Friesland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

Hi Eric,

Flying to Croatia?? What is wrong with Nina, or has it something to do with swmbo? You're also very welcome and everybody else too. It's a pleasure to meet other builders and talk about our wrestling with wood, resin etc. I am not sure the FL26 is ready then, but we still have a launch (which is for sale) see the picture. It is a beautiful boat but we bought it!

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Beautiful, classic launch! What is the power?

You'd better have a few good helpers to finish the FL26 by September!

Maybe you'll be ready to fair by then and you can put Eric to work!

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

There you go, a working vacation!

I just found out last night we aren't flying through Schiphol this time, but London (I think). I sure wish we could see that launch though, thats a beautiful boat, and has a strong Thames wherry influence. I always loved wineglass transoms.

E

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

Spokaloo wrote:I always loved wineglass transoms.
I love the wineglass :D

I'm off to have diner

tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Jaap..I'm an immigrant from Germany to the U.S.A. I built the OD16 and was wondering what kind of permitting is necessary in the Netherlands for a boat like yours.

That would be permits to build it, to register it, and what kind of licensing are you looking at for actually using it?

Good luck and I'm really looking forward to some more pictures. Jacques is an inspiration to folks like myself.

Best,
Stefan.

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

There is some progress here since my last posting. All the panels were made in place and needed a little sanding in the bow and in the mid where the side panels came a few mm over the bottom panels. With the small strokes to fair the slits it looked quite good and I glassed 2 layers of biax on all the seams. It is good to prepare the corners carefully and round them to avoid air bubbles, it is thick glass. After sanding the seams, a raw skeg was made (pictures later) and I glassed the bottom with 2 layers of biax fabric. Room temperature was above 22 C (72 F) and since I work alone, that was really a race but the result looks good. To avoid too big problems I glassed the bottom 2 phases, left and right.
After the bottom, I did some fairing on the overlaps on the sidepanels. This to avoid that with the fairing the glass of the side panels is sanded away. Yesterday evening I glassed one sidepanel. Due to a weather change the temperature is now 18 C in the workshop, which gave me much more time to do a good job.
One Murphy’s law moment: I bought a part of the epoxy resin in 20kg barrels (4 gallon) and used them to stand on, to reach the middle of the bottom. Last week I was in a hurry (off course) stepped on one, too much to the side and it was the one with the unsecured open lid…….. I got the resin away with a lot of sawdust!!

Fairing the slits with small strokes Image

The bow with a layer of biax on the slits. Image

After a little fairing a layer of biax fabric on the sidepanel Image

The next generation boatbuilders? Image

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

Jaap wrote:There is some progress here since my last posting.
Now that is an understatement! Nice job, it's looking great.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Looking great Jaap. One thing though, I would try to keep the fairing underneath the biaxial to a minimum. You want the epoxy and biaxial up against wood wherever possible. The fairing compounds have very little strength of its own and should reserved for the final fairing and finishing process.

If it's a real concern, Jacques should chime in. The slits look like they are working out very well. Keep the pictures coming!
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

topwater

Post by topwater »

Nice pic's of the bow of youre boat.
That boat really dose have nice lines.

Keep the pic's coming :!:

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Wow! Sure does fill the garage, doesn't it?!