FL26 build in Friesland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Various nice Jaap, job well done. On to the next step!

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

AD16 The Opportunist
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AD16 The Opportunist »

Great!!! :D

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Beautiful! both the boat and the craftsmanship! Upside down, the hull looked kind of sharp and slabsided, but rightside up I agree with the others, very sleek and attractive! And HUGE! Glad you had some help and heavy equipment for the flip.

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

After the flipping it was time to cleanup the shop a bit and we went for holiday with our launch and a tent. Very good time with the family.
But now back to work and boatbuilding. I removed all the molds and cleaned up here and there, but to my surprise the bottom is by far not flat.
I think, that the jig is too small and too much weight is on the outside, which causes the middle raising at least an inch. The bottom is off course not a composite yet and after some discussions with friends we think that the solution in picture 2 will do. I was glad to discover this before glassing the inside. I did not want to build the first fl26 with a small tunnel hull :lol:
Most of the designs here have more or less a V-bottum, but nevertheless, keep on measuring and checking.

jaap

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

After carefully set the bottem panels flat, I started glassing the inside. Outside was easier then inside, which I didn't expect. The bottem panels are difficult to reach; they need 2 layers biax and working wet in wet is not possible for me. Even doing it in smaller part, I crawled around in wet fabric now and then; keep in mind that I do everything on my own with only 2 hands. There was just enough wide fabric and I had to use almost all the left overs, which gives it some kind of mosaic look. Not my favorite but it is more then strong enough due to the wide overlaps. Maybe spended a little to much on the skeg.
After a touch up with the sander I put the stringers and bulkheads in the hull. A great moment for me after the fight with fabric, resin and the clock.
A few small corrections were needed with the jigsaw but it all fits quite well and looks fantastic (to me!). Standing in the boat and having a good impression of dimensions, took my fantasy on a walk. We were already sailing. Back to reality, everything is spot glued and it is time to clean up the shop a little.

jaap

Last edited by Jaap on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Jaap wrote:After carefully set the bottem panels flat, I started glassing the inside. Outside was easier then inside, which I didn't expect. The bottem panels are difficult to reach; they need 2 layers biax and working wet in wet is not possible for me. Even doing it in smaller part, I crawled around in wet fabric now and then]
Jaap,

Just an idea
Although I'm not at that stage I've been thinking about that, and I was thinking of wearing these things
I think the little holes those things make will fill up again, just like the concrete floors, were those "shoes" are intentionally made for.

Btw I think your work is looking good

Peter

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The inside lamination of large hulls is done either with a hanging scaffolding or one side at a time.
For an amateur, it will be one side or one length at a time.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

@peter-curacao, kinky shoes!! Would you use them on a teak-deck as well? Just read on the internet newspaper about small tornado's in Curacao. Is there any damage in your neighbourhood??

@Jacques; I did the sides in 2 pieces, but that is just one layer. To use as less resin possible, the bottem panels were a little more difficult.
When you cut a large piece of biax fabric, say 3 by 12 ft, it gets very easy very out of shape, due to weigth and were you hold it.

Do you still have plans to visit the Hiswa??

jaap

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

This thread slipped by me. Nice work Jaap! The cabin lines are looking good as it just begins to suggest itself. :)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Jaap wrote:@peter-curacao, kinky shoes!! Would you use them on a teak-deck as well? Just read on the internet newspaper about small tornado's in Curacao. Is there any damage in your neighbourhood??
jaap
:P :P No jaap I won't recommend them on a teak deck :P :P
No damage here but in the neighborhood they were it's a ravage. cars and roofs were blown away Thank's for asking

Peter