FL26 build in Friesland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Jaap, would you be so kind as to drop in a little plywood where the sole would be and have someone take some photos of you for scale?

I want to see how much depth there is to the cockpit, how high the cabin top ends up on you, etc etc.

It would be greatly appreciated!

E

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

peter-curacao wrote:...in the neighborhood they were it's a ravage. cars and roofs were blown away
I suppose shoes like those are very handy in wind like that! :)

Yes, as Eric requests please, even if you only stand the stringers, that would be good, but a board across them sounds like a good idea.

... then, could you stand at the helm station on the BMW/Oracle/ Hobie Extreme AC90... just for scale... :P

seriously, a picture in front of the cabin station would be nice, with a reminder of your height, to keep a perspective. :)

michaelk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michaelk »

ks8 wrote:
peter-curacao wrote:...in the neighborhood they were it's a ravage. cars and roofs were blown away
I suppose shoes like those are very handy in wind like that! :)
change out the spikes for hooks and you'll stick like velcro. :wink:

-Mike

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

Dear fellow boatbuilders, as requested a few pictures. I am 190 cm tall, which is around 6 ft and 4 inches, more or less. I was just cutting the sole, only 1 piece to go. When I look at the pictures now, the boot looks smaller then it feels when your in it. Must have something to do with wide angle lenses etc. Due to the flashlight (I think) the boat and the glassing looks in the shop much better then on the pictures. If I can be of any further help, please ask and enjoy your building.

jaap

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

That was a tremendous help. Thanks! :)

Back to work. :lol:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Wow, that's a big boat. I can't imagine sanding all that boat. Yes I can :help: You're a big guy, too. Good thing, hope you got a lot of sanding left in you :lol:

She looks great 8)

What kind of beer are you drinking in Friesland?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Looks like a Heiney to me.

Thanks so much for taking those. It looks exactly as I figured with my stick men, but wanted to see it in the flesh. Im 6'3", so we are basically the same size.

I especially like this one:

Allowing for a good idea of the headroom in the "paperwork" area of the boat. Plenty of room for contemplation it appears!

Boy those stringers are TALL!!

E

nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

Looks like a Grolsch to me.

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

Eric, I was thinking about those super-tall stringers, too. I wonder why Jacques drew them so tall? Room for tanks? Needed for bottom stiffness? Room for flotation? Desire to get the sole above the loaded waterline?

I'm not planning to build an FL26, so this is kind of idle speculation, but it would seem that CG could be lowered and usable cockpit depth increased if the stringers were strengthened and shortened. Or maybe, double the number of stringers at half the height. Ultimately, Jacques knows why they are so deep, and I'm sure it makes sense.

(After a little thought, I'm guessing it's "to make the sole higher than the waterline.")

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Maybe for all the reasons you sited Rick, or more. Including possibly stowage to keep the CG low? :)