Mawrob's FS14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fishingpix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fishingpix »

Just remember, whether the guide coat shows she's perfect or not, soon you'll be out skimming over that beautiful Cape water. My kids and I are about a week behind you in our FS14 build, and we're coming up to Eastham for 2 weeks the end of July -- I'd love to see yours and show you ours. My email is davidhills@starpower.net

I'm close to being ready for some primer, and I'm wondering-- do I need to seal the Quick Fair with a thin coat of epoxy, or can I just go over it with the S3 High Build primer?

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

Hi David,

Thanks for contacting me - it would be great to get together :D . Do you have any build pictures? I will email you. I think I read that either will work as S3 is a waterproof epoxy primer once cured but best to ask the experts. I have just run a longboard over the sides this morning to see what the fairing is like- what a schedule. I am just about to post a next step question in the building section. BTW the S3 primer is slow to cure in wet damp weather.

Cheers,
Robert

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

David the S3 primer is an epoxy primer so you don't have to epoxy over the QF first.

Have fun on the Cape, used to live North of Boston and go down there frequently 20 years ago.

Robert your doing a nice job on your boat enjoy it up there. Miss all that seafood we used to eat. On your question use QF to fair the hull, a can of quick drying spray paint in a bright color misted over the QF just before you put your long board to it will show real fast any high or low spots when you sand.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

TomW wrote: Robert your doing a nice job on your boat enjoy it up there. Miss all that seafood we used to eat. On your question use QF to fair the hull, a can of quick drying spray paint in a bright color misted over the QF just before you put your long board to it will show real fast any high or low spots when you sand.

Tom
Thanks Tom - I have started spreading the Qfair in 100 gram batches and am doing my best to mix it well after having parts of previous batches not cure properly on me - the final color is not sufficiently different from the brown part and it is difficult to tell if it is fully mixed. This time I am mixing in the container and then transferring to a metal drywall square (taped with packing tape) where I mix again with a spatula. I am sure that laying down the Qfair is a practiced art that I will not master in time and I will need to compensate by sanding more off.

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

Mawrob, I use a piece of cardboard covered with packaging tape and mix right on it.

I mix with the big popsicle sticks until I get a consistant color then mix a little more, havent had any issues yet :wink:

When done throw away the cardboard.

BTW, (not my idea) Shine recomended this to me in the past

Hope this may help.

CT_Mart
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CT_Mart »

Robert you are doing a nice job. I like the interior layout. Where on the Cape are you? I'd like to see your boat as well. I'm frequently in Orleans and will definitely be up the last week in July and first week of August with my GV11. Shoot me an email, mhummel140 at gmail dot com

Marty

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

CT_Mart wrote:Robert you are doing a nice job. I like the interior layout. Where on the Cape are you? I'd like to see your boat as well. I'm frequently in Orleans and will definitely be up the last week in July and first week of August with my GV11. Shoot me an email, mhummel140 at gmail dot com

Marty
That would be great. We are in Mashpee. I will email you.

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

Well after some back and forth I think I have found a name and logo that keeps me and the (youngish) kids happy. Hopefully not too cute - any opinions ...

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

colonialc19 wrote:Mawrob, I use a piece of cardboard covered with packaging tape and mix right on it.

I mix with the big popsicle sticks until I get a consistant color then mix a little more, havent had any issues yet :wink:

When done throw away the cardboard.

BTW, (not my idea) Shine recomended this to me in the past

Hope this may help.
Thanks - my very similar approach seems to have worked and the Qfair set - great advice - much appreciated.

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Fairing and priming

Post by Mawrob »

Almost done with fairing and priming the hull. Went through 20 yards of Lowes quality 80 grit 4.5" wide adhesive sandpaper roll. It is amazing how fast the paper gets dull.

After the second coat of S3 primer I realized that I still need to sand a slight Qfair bump (on the other side). Have to do that tonight. Pity the primer takes so long to dry and cure - 24 hours plus. Other than that I think the sides are reasonably fair now.

Going to try and bottom coat with Micron CSC and paint sides with S3-LPU this week - early mornings and evenings. I read that S3-LPU can be recoated after 30 minutes - I hope that is realistic because I am guessing that I will need 4 coats. The Micron CSC says it needs 16 hours to recoat (seems long?)