Curacao CS 25

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Curacao CS 25

Post by bwhite829 »

I've been talking to Jacque on email and he referred me to the forums, I watched your video and I'm torn between a CS25 and a GS28X. At first I wanted a cuddy in a center console, but decided the small "jump cabin" of the GS28x will be plenty. Just want it for overnighters in the bahamas or to get out of the weather sometimes, but looking at this build is making me second guess myself and just settle for a head in the console so that I can have seating in the front.

I was also debating about tuna tubes, but the layout of your livewell/tubes is fantastic. Going to order plans for one or the other this year, and start the build next year. I figure I can amortize the cost of the build over 6 years conservatively and by the time my oldest son is 10 years old take him on a celebratory trip out to blue water(he's 18 mo now, looking forward to being able to build a boat that is 100% for us). Can you ballpark the build cost? I know a comparable production CC is around $50k+ new, I figure if I can build it for half that I would be happy, though I doubt it.

bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bwhite829 »

I've been talking to Jacque on email and he referred me to the forums, I watched your video and I'm torn between a CS25 and a GS28X. At first I wanted a cuddy in a center console, but decided the small "jump cabin" of the GS28x will be plenty. Just want it for overnighters in the bahamas or to get out of the weather sometimes, but looking at this build is making me second guess myself and just settle for a head in the console so that I can have seating in the front.

I was also debating about tuna tubes, but the layout of your livewell/tubes is fantastic. Going to order plans for one or the other this year, and start the build next year. I figure I can amortize the cost of the build over 6 years conservatively and by the time my oldest son is 10 years old take him on a celebratory trip out to blue water(he's 18 mo now, looking forward to being able to build a boat that is 100% for us). Can you ballpark the build cost? I know a comparable production CC is around $50k+ new, I figure if I can build it for half that I would be happy, though I doubt it.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For the cost, take the BOM and get the prices at BoatBuilderCentral.com.
You will not find better prices and don;t take shortcuts with garage floor epoxies relabeled marine to save a couple $.
To start, the first year, you need all the plywood and enough epoxy to coat the ply and do some assembly work: let's say 3 gallons and 1 or 2 rolls of the tape.

Some of the builders use much more epoxy than others, take that in account. As you progress, you"ll get a feel for the resin and you will use less which is better anyway.

One way to save is to buy the epoxy in larger quantities especially if you use Silver Tip resin. Once you get to 6 gallons, there is a nice price break.
One more thing: don't focus too much on the price of plywood or resin. I don't get it when people hesitate about a couple hundred for resin or ply but then put for $ 10,000.00 of electronics on the same boat.
You can always upgrade electronics but you are stuck with the hull. Start with the best quality hull you can afford and delay the purchase of gadgets.

And if you have a trailer and don't mind driving, come and get your supplies here from the warehouse, no shipping.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

bwhite829 wrote: Can you ballpark the build cost? I know a comparable production CC is around $50k+ new, I figure if I can build it for half that I would be happy, though I doubt it.
I would doubt it too :wink:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bwhite829 »

In talking to my wife I think an XF20 is on the horizon first. I'd like to dive in to a GS28X or CS25 first but I think the time and money spent in buidling a smaller, simpler boat beforehand will go a long way in wasting time/money on such a major project as a GS28/CS25...I've got a 14 ft mod V that I'm rebuilding that has been in the family for 30 years that I grew up fishing on. I'll be rebuilding the hull for that next year, so might just make a trip to the warehouse on one of our trips to disney to get the supplies for that and the XF20, and can give the 14 footer to my cousin after I get my XF20 built.

bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bwhite829 »

Aripeka Angler wrote:
bwhite829 wrote: Can you ballpark the build cost? I know a comparable production CC is around $50k+ new, I figure if I can build it for half that I would be happy, though I doubt it.
I would doubt it too :wink:
Yeah, after thinking about it from a more realistic perspective, I realize the cost for engine/electrical systems itself will be close to $30k probably.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

For what its worth, I have spared no expense with my build in terms of quality of materials and fittings, although I have tried to buy as well as possible.

My boat is of similar scale to Peters - 22', side console, 250 hp 4 stroke motor, trim tabs, jacking plate, duel axle trailer, trolling motor, electronics etc.

I have about US$37k invested in my hull. All up - hull, motor, trailer and accessories about US$75k. That's converted from Aussie dollars - I suspect you could build it in the US for less than that given that much of the stuff in my boat is imported from the US.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Wow :!: I dont think i want to total up my receipts just yet. Ball park figure , motor , trailer ,nav,radio
15,800 US. I'll have to wait till i am done to total the rest of the materials .
Novi 23 finally launched !

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

bwhite829 wrote:Can you ballpark the build cost? I know a comparable production CC is around $50k+ new, I figure if I can build it for half that I would be happy, though I doubt it.
Sorry for the late reply and Thx for the compliments, I didn't keep track on the costs I thought it was better that way :lol: It's a 28 foot boat go figure :wink: But as Jacques says start with the BOM, my advice go for the Silvertip, Keep in mind the BOM gives you the basic bare hull, no CC, no benches, no leaning post etc etc. so if you al want that you need more ply and resin, but there are more and other things you can source on forehand, you can ask quotations for the engine (engine dealer or warehouse) steering and controls (for instance West marine online) engine bracket (Armstrong marine) T top (Cracker Larry's friend).
Also keep in mind I had to import everything to this little Island so even if I did had figures they wouldn't apply to you, hopes this helps a bit 8)
TomTom wrote:Hi Peter - your boat looks great. Was just wondering if you had any fuel burn figures for it?
Hi Tom also to you sorry for the late response, no sorry no figures, I fill her up when she's empty :wink: , also I don't think my figures would be accurate for you to base yourself on, I probably burn more fuel because the conditions over here, lots of wind,strong current, lots of waves, video underneath gives you with exception of the clouds an idea about the average conditions here, in the video it looks calmer as it really was, hard to capture.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/pNcJ32kk7m8[/youtube]

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Oh that - we call that a mill pond out here!! Too smooth for water-skiing unless you are a beginner!! :D :D

What were you fishing for there?