deedee's od 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Cottontop are you at full throttle at those speeds or somewhere lower? Eric what HP engine I'm assuming your 50?

Tom

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

2001 Yam F50TLRC, incorrect prop. Could get a mile or two an hour more out of it.

E

cape man

Post by cape man »

Mine planes very quickly with a full load either way. Cottontop
That's what I wanted to hear!!!! I am going to try and power mine with a 40hp, 4 stroke Yamaha that I already own. I don't need speed, but I do need it to plane when loaded. I know the 50 gives you 25% more horse than me, but I am sure hoping this isn't going to be a VERY disappointing launch.

If I did not have an engine, I would go at least 70, and maybe a 90 like Larry is talking.

deedee
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by deedee »

thanks fellas for the replies. i think the 60 etec is a good compromise as well . thanks for running the numbers as well. a mid 20's cruise is gonna be alright with me.
david e.
va. beach, virginia
od18

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Deedee, one thing you shouldn't forget is that once there is a 2' or more chop out there, you will HAVE to slow down to speeds around 10mph, otherwise you'll end up hurting folks sitting on your casting deck when you are underway.

On my OD16, even in absolutely calm conditions, I don't think I'd want to go much faster than 35mph. My OD16 w/40HP does about 30mph tops w/only one person, and 28mph w/two people. The most 'comfortable' ride is right around 25mph or so.

When it gets choppy..and I like going out on the Gulf, mind you (I know..not designed for it, but what I ended up enjoying most)..and a chop comes up over 2' ...then it's real work to get back home. The pounding is harsh, to say the least, and the most comfortable place is standing behind the helm..and using your knees to absorb the pounding.

If you've got folks with you, you almost HAVE to slow to displacement speeds - and as the boat planes at 12mph...well, guess what: You have to slow down below that!

..point being: Fast speeds are really only good when you plan to use it in exclusively calm conditions and you have to go far and get there quick, i.e. rivers and lakes!

ddbiiz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ddbiiz »

deedee,
I get between 35 and 37 with a 70 hp Yamaha that's loaded with gear,gas 23 gal, and me 250 ( big boned LOL) :lol:
Don

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Don, could you tell me what prop your using? I just put a 70 yam on my OD 18, so far have only got 33 mph. I'm going to try prop number 3 tomorrow, but I sure would like to know what you've got.

ddbiiz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ddbiiz »

Larry,
I did this 5 years ago but I think I had a ss 17 and went to a 15 aluminum, then had to install dolphin to stop bow slap. I think this is what I have will check prop in shop tomorrow, just got home, trying to get warm high of about 35 today, todays work outside!!! I MISS FLORIDA
Don

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I really appreciate the follow up Don, thanks if you have time to check it 8)

Cold here in GA too, not much above 40 and real windy again. I think it's even cold in FL right now :cry:

ddbiiz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ddbiiz »

Larry,
Went out to the shop the prop I have out there is SS 31317 Y1317, this came with the motor when I bought it it's a 1995, I was having trouble with planning tried a couple different props and ended up with a 15 aluminum. The guy at the Yamaha shop would put them on I would take it to the lake run it and come back with #'s and he would ajust again I ended up having to add the dolphin which gave me more speed and stop the bow slap. I hope this helps! By the way your rig looks great. The wife has friends outside of Savannah we're down there every couple of months, maybe we could wet a line? Thanks
Don