deedee's od 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
deedee
Active Poster
Active Poster

deedee's od 18

Post by deedee »

i am gonna be putting the second of many more coats of primer on and would like to sand each coat. i figured i would use 220 bettween coats but i figured i would ask . got everything from 36 to 220 right now but i can run down the street and get more norton or sia if i need. so what do you guys sand between coats with?
Last edited by deedee on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
david e.
va. beach, virginia
od18

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I would use 60 or 80; maybe 150 if I think Im close to the last coat.

If your putting more coats on there is no reason to be shy about taking it off. The last coat before paint I go with 220 to 320

Joel

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

shine wrote:I would use 60 or 80
Joel
60 or 80 grit :?: :?:

Seems kind of coarse! The next coat of primer won't even fill in the scratches left by 60 or 80 grit. I use 150, and then 220/240 or 320 on the final primer coat depending on the location and desired topcoat smoothness.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

You don't sand (polish) the topcoat (the actual paint)? to spray it again?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

The high build primer will fill 80 grit. I do not thin the primer at all, so maybe thats the difference.

Hopefully, today we will be priming the FS17 with the first coat of System Three primer. The first coat for me is the "tell" coat, we sand it with 60 grit an the long board - the idea is to make very evident any lows/highs that still need fairing.

When Im convinced the fairing is finished and the next primer application is the last before paint, I will put on 2 or 3 coast of primer - then sand with 220/320 (higher grit for more glossy paint) using guide coat to make sure I do not sand through the primer.

deedee
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by deedee »

thanks for the replies. i decided to use 80 norton and 150 it seems to be getting rid of the aggressive scratches from the 36 and 40 bluemag that i was using to shape it with. every time i use norton blue mag and the a 275 i am amazed at how well it performs . dang!!!! its gonna take at least two or three more coats of primer to cover these scratches from before.
david e.
va. beach, virginia
od18

deedee
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by deedee »

i forgot ... i can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and man it was worth it. :D i won't mind fairing the panels inside the boat at all. that is by far the most demanding part so far..fairing. when i started fairing i thought it was gonna be easier with an electric sander but i finally gave the fairing blocks a try and i will never go back to the electric for any large area.
david e.
va. beach, virginia
od18

Spooner
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Spooner »

Norton sandpaper is fantastic! I used it for years doing autobody - it's pricey but makes up for it in the long run...

:idea: Whenever I used 60 to 80 grit Blue on my inline longboard, before putting a fresh sheet on the machine, I'd run it over a metal edge (ie: angle iron) by hand once or twice to take off those really sharp points - they'll drive you nuts if you're trying to fill them with primer. That never was enough to effect the true grit of the paper.

deedee
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by deedee »

yea the norton is great . i beats all of 3m's green corps and cubitron (purple) without even trying. i just hit it with a wire brush if it loads up at all and use one of those sandpaper cleaning rubber blocks every once in a while. i never would have made it through the fairing if i had not found the blue mag .
david e.
va. beach, virginia
od18

deedee
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by deedee »

man i thought i was done with the fairing ..... nope . i keep on finding low spots. i am using a light guide coat but this is really my first time using a guide coat. i have a few questions. do i just sand through the guide coat and leave the low areas? i have alot of very small low spots that are barely "low" should i keep cutting past the guide coat and well into the primer? these low spots are places that i can clean off and ,run my hfingers over and cannot detect they are that close. the only areas i have this with are my rubrail and spray rail. should i be using a long board or something fairly rigid? s orry for all the questions and thank you guys for all the help.maybe i will post a few pictures here hopefully.
david e.
va. beach, virginia
od18