Sashimi-panga22-Kauai

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Welcome to the party. Will watch carefully. The Panga was high on the list when I picked the OD18. Family Man's paint is sweet!

200+ Ahi. NICE fish! Anything over 100 is a giant here in the Gulf of Mexico.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

So I got my marine ply today. 20 sheets Image
I ordered meranti but the place I ordered the ply from accidentally sent me some okoume 8O Image
The 1/2" is definitely meranti. It's darker red and smells a little different. But the 1/4" and 3/8" is okoume. I guess it's going to be easier to bend the bottom panels than I thought 8) My epoxy kit isn't here yet but it's all good cuz I'm not done painting the house yet. So in the mean time I'll cut out my stations and all that good stuff. More pics to follow :D
Aloha

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Got my silvertip kit yesterday :D so I finished cutting out all the transom pieces. Here's my method for getting a razor straight edge with a skillsaw Image $19.95 cutting fence from HD 8) Then pre-coated my pieces, put on gel magic with a notched spreader and clamped em. So the transom is all done today Image Neyt step is to router the motorwell edges with a 1/2" bit and cap it with a piece of biax tape for more betterness. I don't know if I was super accurate with the cutting or what but the 3 layers matched up perfectly. stoked on that 8) Also, the first layer I used a disposable brush to pe-coat it, but it uses a lot of epoxy. Better to use a plastic spreader to push the laminating resin around, much better mileage. By the way, what's SWMBO stand for?
Aloha

nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

She Who Must Be Obeyed! Here's a link to where the phrase originated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_(novel)

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

:lol: :lol: LMAO!
Aloha

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Good Start

Post by Bluefish2 »

Fonda,
Want to see another Panga built. Your luck on the wood.

SWMBO- I thought SHE Who Must Be Obeyed was from Rumpole of the Bailey :)

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

So I rounded the motorwell cutout with a 3/8" router bit and capped it with a piece of woven fibeglass tape. I was gonna use biax tape but it's stiffer than woven and wasn't liking the 3/8 bend. Oh well, it's not a necessity to cap it any way. I just like over built stuff :D Also got my console tacked together while I'm waiting for my tent to build in (no garage). Went with the standard console plans that come with the boat plans but made it 6" taller. On an unrelated note shot a nice size uku (green jobfish) freediving the other day while laying in the sand at 55 feet. 8)
Aloha

cape man

Post by cape man »

55 feet free diving! Good job, and good green job fish! Had one for dinner in Kona in 99' . Good stuff.

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Okay this pic may not mean much to alot of you, but represents the end of a serious emotional roller coaster. Image I went to costco with a skip in my step to get my tent. When I got there they told me they aren't selling them anymore. :x Great, now what? I go to k-mart just to see what they have and they tell me the same thing. Now I'm really thinking I'm screwed. On the way out I glance up and lo and behold, there on the top of a dusty shelf is a carport tent long forgotten. Sustained heavenly chorus sound. So now I can start actually building :D Thanx wobblylegs for doing it first so I know it could be done. I wish I had a garage but hey, if you gotta build ya gotta build.
Aloha

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

I'm also building under a carport and you sure are going to thank those side panels, everytime it rains here (which lately has been every night), I can't work around the sides of the boat without getting drenched.
Good luck, may your epoxy mixing begin :wink: