PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Shine,

I was planning on eliminating not only any hatches toward the front, but also placing the lights under the deck, mounted to the hull, and not installing a deck cleat, not even a pop up one. I feel very strongly about not having anything that can possibly snag my flyline.

I can see it now. There is a 150-pound tarpon 95 feet off the bow and my fly line gets caught in the little groove between the hinge and the deck. Oh man, there goes the fish of a lifetime! :x

Do you think I can cut a small square just large enough in the front bulkhead to allow access to possibly install the trolling motor batteries or the engine battery? I could easily shimmy on my belly under the deck to access this area. I have little need for storage. One of the nice things about fly-fishing is it is not very gear intensive, so the loss of the space does not bother me. All I need is four rods and a couple of gear bags and I’m set.

Casey

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Casey, just remember you will have to keep your gas tank and your batteries seperated by a bulkhead. Also the power lines and gas lines can't run in the same space. Just something else to think about as you plan her out. Also by the time you extend the deck you will probably have plenty of room for a nice wide hatch in the bulkhead.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Tom,

Do you think there is a way to accomplish placing the tank and batteries in a safe manner, while still having no hatch on top, in the front of the boat and would this help in weight distribution? Another PH owner suggested this to me last year while brainstorming on improvements he would make were he to build another one.

Casey

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

flyfish2743 wrote: is a way to accomplish placing the tank and batteries in a safe manner, while still having no hatch on top, in the front of the boat and would this help in weight distribution?
How will you get the batteries out? Not through that little hole in the frame. You really need at least one hatch

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

I really don't know. How far back are you coming with the casting deck. How hich off the sole is it. What size gas tank will you have. One or two dee cycle batteries.

I tend to think that you will need a hatch. There are many available that have hidden hinges and inset latches. See Bomar and Tempress. Main reason it that moving 80lb deep ciycles sideways is very difficult. Connecting them properly in a tight space even more so. You also have to be able to fasten them down properly as you would not want them bouncing around up there. Just putting them in a battery box is not an option, they will move around in the box.

Maybe put the hatch all the way forward wil the hinges aft and the latch forward would be the answer. Don't know. Then custome gas tank behing that.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Fly,

This is the layout of the foredeck on my PH18. I fly fish 90% of the time from this deck and have not had a snagged line yet. I installed Bomar hatches, and the cleats are recessed. I fish a lot in Louisiana and have had some large Reds with flyline all over the place and never a hang up. The Bomar hatches have pretty close tolerances on the hinges and lids. All of the edges are well rounded on the hatches and the cleats. The lids are pretty stout and support my fat arse.

I had many of the same questions and fears you have mentioned. The only real problems I have had were with tangles in the line which I had stripped in, that goes ripping off the deck when I get a hookup.

The PH18 is a great platform for shallow water fishing. Very, very stable. You and your partner can stand on the gunnel and have no fear of tipping the boat. It is a rough ride in rough water, but that keeps the blood flowing.

Good luck with your build.

Muddler
Is it a Boat yet?

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I've got a combination of Tempress and Sure-Seal hatches. Both are flush, no protrusions, easy to stand on, strong, and they are lighter than the plywood they replace.

12 hatches on this boat, no wasted space anywhere 8)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Fly, Muddlers PH18 is an outstanding example of the PH18's. Have seen and been on it at the Annual Meeting in Florda last spring. You can trust what he tells you. I'm sure Muddler would be glad to discuss the boat or fly fishing if you use his e-mail button to contact him.

I didn't say before but I plan 3 large hatches in a 42" deck in my build. Hinges will be hiidden and latches inset.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Muddler and Cracker Larry,

You guys have constructed some great looking boats! Larry, the grip on your boat, is that an after market product that is adhered to your fiberglass or is that built into the finish?

Casey

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Casey, it's called Kiwi Grip. They sell it right here

http://boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?cat=62

Great stuff!!