PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

That stuff looks great. What is the coverage of one gallon? Any downside? Do you think it would be excessive to use it on all deck surfaces and the cockpit floor?

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I did all that with just a little over a half gallon. I think a gallon is rated at 80 sq. ft. but it seems to go further than that.

The only downside of using it everywhere is that it would make the boat harder to clean. That's why I've left smooth channels around the edges.

Also the stuff dries fast and you should work with small areas. The directions say 1 sq. meter max, but you can work a larger area than that.

I wrote up the application in my build thread, start here...

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... ddd04a6ddc

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

What do you guys think of the way this particular boat enters the water at the V? Do you think this would reduce hull slap or make it easier to pole?

(It's the 16 footer in the lower left corner of the page)

http://www.ankonaboats.com/

Ideas? Thoughts? Advantages? Disadvantages? Can it be duplicated?

I hope you guys enjoy the new Avaitar! Tell me if its to much and I'll change it.

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Just a little detracting for me.

Muddler
Is it a Boat yet?

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I changed it back. I thought it might be distracting, but hopefully you got a kick out of it for the day it was up. I had a dog that did that same kinda thing!

Muddler. I will post our last two emails, as you suggested, up on the forum. :) Thanks for all the advice.
Last edited by flyfishingmonk on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Here was my email to Muddler,

Dear Muddler,

I appreciate your input on the forum. I am really learning a lot from everyone who has ventured before me. I looked at the picture of the hatches on the front of your deck, which look great by the way, but am still undecided. How far does the top of the hatch come up above the deck? Is that about 1/2 inch?

Take a look at this picture.

http://mitziskiffs.com/images/mitzi17frnt200.jpg

I just love the almost totally unobstructed deck that this boat has. The only thing I would change is to eliminate the pop up cleat and place the light under the deck. I also would like for the deck to sweep toward the center console as seen here,

http://www.rangerboats.com/flash/floorp ... =saltwater

but with more of a U shape matching somewhat the front deck of the boat. This would give me more storage under the deck. I could just slide bags up under the deck to keep them out of the way and give me a larger casting area.

I am not trying to sound stubborn, but do you think there is any way possible to place the fuel tank and trolling batteries near the bow of the boat without any access point other than a hatch or a hole in bulkhead B? I have no qualms with putting the batteries in some type of enclosure up near the front or even in front of bulkhead A that is only accessible when the gas tank is pulled out. I was planning on installing a plastic removable tank of about 15 gallons or so. I understand that this would require a person to shimmy up on their belly and set the heavy batteries into place. This seems as if it would help distribute the weight in the boat a little more properly.

Thanks for all your input.

Sincerely,

Casey

Muddlers Reply…..

Casey,

The link to the picture of the hatches was too small to tell what the hatches looked like.

Yes, the Bomar hatches stick up about 3/8" to 1/2".

You could trip on the edge, but my hatches are not a threat of catching a flyline on the deck, neither are the cleats or front light. If you want totally flush hatches, check the gallery, search for "hatches". The search should turn up some of the custom jobs some of the builders have come up with. I will look and post the links in the forum.

I built the decks pretty much to spec. and find that I have more then enough room.

The ease of access is important, to batteries and fuel system components. I have already had to change out a battery while fishing. I have a 19 gallon tank under the front casting deck along with two batteries that power my trolling motor. The cranking battery is at the transom. It was easy to swap a trolling motor battery with the cranking battery when we were an hour from the dock and the cranking battery died.

What size motor are you going to install? A 70HP (recommended) will consume about 7 gallons per hour+- at cruising speed. I usually burn 1/2 to 3/4 tank when fishing all day, 15 gallons may be a little small if you are making a couple of long runs and doing some trolling looking for the fish.

In the end it’s your boat and mine suits the way I fish and where I fish. I have plenty of dry storage, easy access and uncluttered decks. I also have several built in options such as chair mounts in the fore deck and aft, and rod holders in the gunnels (2-each side). My trolling motor is currently mounted at the transom, which I plane to change for a bow mount early next year.

Best of luck,

Muddler

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Muddler,

My motor is a 90 HP Merc Mariner.

I'll take your advice and bump the fuel tank up in size a bit more. The plans show one 12-gallon tank and have two side by side as a suggestion. What do you think of the two 12 gallon tanks side by side?

Casey

Doug
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Doug »

I built flush hatches. A lot of work but look good and no way to catch a fly line.

Here is my website on building them

http://dskogman.tripod.com/Hatch.htm

I used foam on my new skiff and it makes lighter hatches.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Doug,

I remember looking at your web page about a year ago and it was just a few hours ago I was searching on google for it again. Perfect timing! Thanks for the link.

What kind of foam are you using and is it plenty strong to stand on? How much weight do you think it will shave off? How necessary do you think back support is on the back bench seat?

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Casey,

Check this link, it shows the construction of a hatch system with drains which might better suit your desires:

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=210

Muddler

PS. The 24 gallons should give you some to spare, Like I said, its all about where and how you fish.
Is it a Boat yet?