PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I like how flush these hatches are. Very nice!

Here is the gallery for my boat stand. I designed it to be mobile and have only built the rolling base. The top will be next. It will hold the hull in an inverted position as well as upright and will be micro adjustable in at least 6 locations to create a level surface.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=904

The boat will be at just the right height for me to work in a standing position, so as not to kill my back.
Last edited by flyfishingmonk on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Seats on flats boats, do you guys use them? I'm talking the type you see on a bass boat that swivel and mount into the metal bracket on the deck.

99% of my fishing is fly-fishing, and I find myself standing up a lot. However I wanted to know what the other Phantom builders thought. For those of you that have the mounts installed in the boats, how often do you find yourself breaking out the seats and using them, specifically the fly-fishermen?

An option I was thinking about using was portable chairs with non-abrasive feet. I could just set them up when needed. They have the added advantage of resting anywhere on the deck itself, and not being tied to just one location.

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Fly,

I mainly fly fish also; however, there are times when we anchor out and fish the mouth of a cut or drift fish. If you anticipate rod fishing install the mount and if all you do is fly fish, being able to sit in a soft chair and lean back feels soooooo gooood.

Muddler
Is it a Boat yet?

Doug
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Doug »

Depends on how old you are. I've been known to carry a fold up camp stool but I'd never put bass boat style seats in a fly fishing boat. :wink:

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Old Enough!
Is it a Boat yet?

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I will be receiving 11 pieces of Okoume 1088 plywood this week for my PH 18! The purchase was only $400 for the wood and $200 for shipping. These pieces were left over from another boat builder’s project. He originally was going to build a bigger boat but scaled down quite a bit.

:D

I'll order the remainder of the wood probably sometime in the spring.

OysterBreath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OysterBreath »

Muddler, you must have great line management skills. I look at those hatches and cringe. I know I will be building the FS18 when I get around to it. It will be my first build. I'm a little worried about hatches though. I'd like to have a few but I think it may be more than what I'm ready to handle so I've been considering having none. I still have mixed feelings about it but I will take a look at those production hatches. I think Doug's hatches are top notch! I tried to take a closer look at his hatches page but Tripod keeps acting up.

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

Here is what I made for my boat - learned alot from the initial screw ups - but it is worth the pain and agony of sanding to me..still need to build the hatches

I built a mold and sprayed it with PVA.

OysterBreath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OysterBreath »

Hey, what is PVA?

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

OysterBreath wrote:Hey, what is PVA?
Polyvinyl acetate - You can buy from Bateau