BassMunn's PH16 - SPLASHED!!!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BassMunn

Re: BassMunn's PH16

Post by BassMunn »

Thanks Will

Steve that's just what I've been looking for but can't find one here. But :idea: I have some nice high density foam that's like 2" thick, that I think will do the trick. I'll try it out on the weekend.

Mark, John Pellegrini lowered his sole in his PH18 just in the cockpit area, he added a lot of extra pieces to strengthen it up, but there was a post made on this forum somewhere with a link to a boat surveyors site. The surveyor stated that cutting pieces out of stringers like what you would need to do here was one of the major contributors to hull failure. I wouldn't chance it.

I wanted to install a pad instead of the skeg, but got too worried about the boat sliding in turns too much so I installed the skeg instead. In all honesty I've got a feeling that I might cut it off one day. I might be wrong but if I were to build it again I would leave the skeg off and not put a pad in either, just run on the Vee. I had a chat to a racing boat designer and he said that because of the shallow vee a pad would make a minimal performance change of maybe 1-2 mph if I got it perfect, but if I got it wrong it would have far more profound negative affects on the handling.

I haven't bought a motor yet and probably won't be able to for some time, but I've narrowed it down to the 115 ETEC and the 115 Opti. I actually had a look at both of them yesterday and they are brute looking motors :D .
It's nice to get some feedback from 4 years experience, thanks. I've read lots of forums about them and they seem pretty awesome. I've never owned a Rude but have owned a Merc 90 Carb which was brilliant, but I've read a few forum posts about guys blowing the Opti's or popping injectors. I think my final decision will be based on price as I have a very good dealer 5 minutes away that sells and services both.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

BassMunn wrote:
I haven't bought a motor yet and probably won't be able to for some time, but I've narrowed it down to the 115 ETEC and the 115 Opti. I actually had a look at both of them yesterday and they are brute looking motors :D .
I know exactly what you mean Image last Miami boat show I was looking at the 250's and 300's ETEC's, I thought those things where gonna sink my little boat, men those things are huge, almost bigger as I am, turned me on in a weird kind of way dough Image

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

So you also found yourself standing a little too close wanting to hug them :roll: :lol:

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

BassMunn wrote:So you also found yourself standing a little too close wanting to hug them :roll: :lol:
Almost did hug them until I slipped Image over my own drool Image

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

I ran an 90 HP Mariner on my PH`16. Carb. model. weighed 315 lbs. More than sufficient HP. Withmy mediocre pad design and strakes, with jack plate and Stainless 19" prop it would run out at around 42 MPH. All the PH designs will slide even with the pad. and strakes. It stopped the slideing about 25% against the bare hull with center keel as designed. I wouldn't go crazy with all the hull bottom designs like adding pads etc. Not worth the extra performance. You will get the same speed +- a few mph. Lots of extra work and time doing this. To me if I were to do it again I would leaved them off and just go witth the cennter keel.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Ken knows what he's talking about :wink:

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

stickystuff wrote: To me if I were to do it again I would leaved them off and just go with the center keel.
BassMunn wrote: I might be wrong but if I were to build it again I would leave the skeg off and not put a pad in either, just run on the Vee.
Mark, Ken (sticky stuff) built his with a pad and I built mine with a skeg, but you'll notice that we both agree on what we should have done. :wink:

I still love those pics of "Ol Woody", you must miss her Ken :cry:

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Some more dumb questions for the day from the rookie field:

1/ Can I install the fuel tankbelow deck between the stringers? Has any one done this? he reason I would like this is it maximizes the storage under top deck and one can keep the center of gravity where it should be. Moeller makes a 30 gallon one about 16" X 70" tha is 30 U.S. gallons.

2/ Do you just epoxy the strakes to the almost finished hull and they will stay on? I recall seeing somewhere a concern that these may "let go" and one should consider putting them in then glassing overtop, albeit this makes th fairing job even more PITA.

3/ Sticky stuff I think reccomended a deeper pad - are we all in agreement to just leave the vee and go with steering strakes or are there mixed opinions on pad vs no pad? No pad would be another option to keep it simpler, fairing easier, and like you said the risk vs reward may not make for a strong case in favour of pad, but I would like to hear it from one of the guys that went with one if that is OK.

4/ When we move the cockpit up for a bass boat and add the trolling motor and two deep cycle batteries up front, does this mess up the center of gravity?

5/ How does the Phantom ride with one person? I ask because my current boat leans to one side, then becuase I put the fuel tank in a side to side mounting fashion of course the 1/2 tank sloshes to one side and you are heading down the lake on one side of the hull.

6/ I think I noticed Ken went with the cool Minn Kota trolling motors on the trim tabs - what is hte opinion/ cost benefit of the tabs? That would be the answer to my running down the lake listing to one side....
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

I'll answer what I can

3- As in the post above yours, sticky stuff says he would not do the pad again. Seems like a lot of work for not much gain to me.

5. I am assuming it will ride like any other small boat if one person sits off center, it will lean. If you sit in the center things should be fine.

6. After having tabs on my current flats boat I can't imagine not having them on a future boat. They work incredibly well. You can adjust them to compensate for listing caused by all kinds of things. They also help to keep the more steep v of the bow down into a chop so the ride is MUCH smoother.

good luck, hope this helps