BassMunn's PH16 - SPLASHED!!!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

What you want now is just to hold the wood together. You will follow up with a full size filet and glass tape that is rounded to give the fiber glass cloth a clean radius to curve around.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

OK got it.
Thanks Tom and Richard

Jimmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmiller »

BassMunn

You should put tape on inside to keep the spot welds
from dripping on to the floor.

JIM

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

You should know that before you have a finished boat you will have a permanent boat-shaped circle of epoxy on the garage floor! :D :D :D

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Hehehe, I've already started my epoxy coated driveway :lol:

Got the panels on last night and tack welded them today with a filleting paste. Now if the weather would be nice to me I could have actually started glassing tonight but it's still too cold, so I'll have to leave it till the morning. (so much for living in a sub tropical climate, OK so in 3 months I'll be complaining about how it never cools down, where never happy are we?)

I got my first batch of epoxy kick on me while still in a cup, this stuff gets hot 8O and even smokes a little, luckily wasn't much.

Here's some updated pics

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Alright! That's my favorite part, seeing the hull put together. Just a little more work now and you'll have a boat! :D :D :D

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

chicagoross wrote:Alright! That's my favorite part, seeing the hull put together. Just a little more work now and you'll have a boat! :D :D :D
Yeah it's real exciting to see it finally take shape :D :D :D WHOOHOOO!!!!! Now I just want to work night and day on it :idea:

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Update and a whole lot of questions for the experienced :D

Did all the filleting of the seems today, in the morning I'll sand the edges round and start the fibreglass seems. Did I ever say that waiting for epoxy to dry is very frustrating? Oh well suppose it gives you a chance to think up better ideas :idea:

OK, I have a whole bunch of questions :D

1. When adding strakes do you run the strake all the way to the end of the transom - I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that they need to end sooner?

2. Is it worth putting a pad into the back of the keel?

3. I can't decide if I need to completely finish the outer hull all the way to final paint before I flip it over. Should I flip after the high build primer or the fairing? It seems simpler to finish it completely first, but I'm concerned about getting slight warp in the hull when I flip and glass the stringers and bulkheads in. I don't want to spend all the time finishing the hull only to find that I have a hook or rocker once I finish the insides.

4. I want my hatches to have a completely flush fit, what do you guys do to seal a hatch like this. I was thinking of ordering some hatch lids from some one like BassPro, but with our exchange rate just dropping off the planet in this last week, if I order all the hatch lids I want they are going to cost me as much as all the Marine ply did for the boat :roll:

OK get typing already :lol:

Thanks
Shannon

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

If your epoxy is kicking to fast for you go with a slow hardner. One important thing is you can't rush it. By this I mean wait until your fillets are dry enough on all seams before you take all zip ties loose. You do not want it to spring open on you. After all seams are hard, sand smooth then precoat all area with epoxy mix first. This will allow epoxy to penetrate the wood and seal it, also giving you a better base for your taping..I now have my PH 16 up for sale and is sitting on a local car dealer on consignment. With the economy the way it is I hope it will go fast.You will get plenty of help when you need it from all the board members. Good luck it is a great hull. By the way you don't need a pad. I did it because I thought it would make it run faster. I really don't think it makes any diff. A lot of extra work and material. Material is money. ??? Your call.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Thanks for the advice Ken. I was thinking about putting in a pad but was also wondering about the effects of it. I know they use pads on the bass boats but they have a deeper vee hull. The Phantom has such a flat hull I wasn't sure if it would have made much of a difference.

Hope you sell your boat soon. What's next on the build list?