Murry's gf16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Thanks for the welcome ks8, and thanks for all the lessons I've learned through your pictures and posts.

The plans for the gf have you building this boat flat on the ground (level ground) and there isn't a mention of a jig.

The problem is that many folks have ended up with severe hook/rocker
when built that way.
(can't remember the deference between hook and rocker, someone please help with that so that I don't confuse people)

I am not against a jig and may end up building one and Bernd if I do I'll get some ideas from you on how I should build it. So stay tuned :help:

Progress: I was able to get the bottom cut, plained and spliced last night and I finished precoating the panels so that I can start putting this puzzle together. :P I'm alsmost ready to see a boat.

One thing I ran into was that my wood was 2500mm and instead of 2438.
Took some extra figuring but wasn't difficult it just made it alot easier to make a mistake.

Thanks for the help on my boat,
Daniel

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

I just figured out how to get the pictures loaded. :D
I'll try not to get carried away.

Wood all wrapped up for the wet ride home....the only water this wood will see/feel will be full of fish... Did I mention how beatiful the wood is.
8O

I really enjoyed drawing out the panels...plans are very easy to follow.

Both side panels after plaining...I had them screwed together while plaining them..... just need to splice.

I left the side panels screwed together at the ends hoping to get two panels exactly the same after splicing... they came out nice.

I butted both sheets to draw out the bottom panel.... then secured them to a piece of luan to cut them out.

Plaining to my lines really has been enjoyable and it makes it very easy to get a nice line... not necessary, but hopefully the time I'm taking will show through to the finished product... we'll see.

I used a full piece of luan to secure the two bottom panels so they wouldn't move during the first splice(the panels are loosely screwed to the edges of the luan, about 4 feet from the splice). I proped them up, wet out the edges and faces, applied glue to the edges, lowered the panels and used a spreader to force more glue into the seam. I wet out the tape and applied weight to the seem for curing. I'll post pics after taping the other side.

What do you think so far?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

looking good.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Nice work. I enjoyed the panel laying out.I understand why people will buy the kits, but to me this bit is a big part of building your own, as you stand or fall on your own.
good luck,
Steve

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I also enjoy laying out the panels and cutting them. I'm a lot better at that than I am painting :lol: Gives you better bragging rights if you can say you built it from scratch :wink:

Looks good Murray.
...I had them screwed together while plaining them.....
I know it's too late for this tip, but when making duplicate parts like side panels, if you screw both panels together and cut them out simultaneously as one, they will be exact duplicates without needing to plane. This also allows you to only have to mark one panel, reducing chances of mistakes in measuring and marking.

I do love to plane nice wood though 8) My favorite tool, and much friendlier than the sander :lol:

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

Every thing moves so fast at that stage.... Enjoy the instant gratification it is only temporary then comes sanding....
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

looking good.
Thanks Joel. I'm having alot of fun. I've been wanting to do this for about
two years.
I understand why people will buy the kits, but to me this bit is a big part of building your own, as you stand or fall on your own.
I almost purchased the kit Steve and I'm so glad I didn't. You miss the opportunity to turn a envelop of well designed plans and some plywood into a boat.
I do love to plane nice wood though My favorite tool, and much friendlier than the sander
This is the first time I've used a plane and man I love it. What a tool.
Enjoy the instant gratification it is only temporary then comes sanding....
Shhhhhh. I'm not thinking about that right now. :)

A little progress.

the bottom is done..pictures soon.

I started to attach the side panels to the frames lastnight. That's tough.
Especially without a jig. I may build one yet. Regardless, I'll have every frame and transom in place secured by screws with equal gaps so I can check the bottom for flatness and the boat for square before I put an ounce of glue on anything. I presanded all precoated glue locations before assembly.

I'll post pictures of the dry assembly after a couple of adjustments. I'll be honest I'm having a blast seeing this thing come together. I can't think of anything I'd rather build. Boat building is awesome.

Thanks for checking in and responding.

Daniel

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

:help: I surrender :help:

Alright guys a jig it is. Actually I've already built it, but I have some questions.

But on thing first. Larry and Bernd please remind of this post next time you give me advice. :oops: :)

Let me tell what I have so far incase you have any ideas.

I have both midseat frames, the rear seat frame and rear transom temporarly screwed to the side panels. I don't have the forward frame installed or the front transom but I have a strap pulling the front of the side panels together leaving a gap about the width of the front transom.
I installed the frames mentioned above making sure that the bottom edge is completely flush with the bottom of the side panels.

My issue is ofcourse with the bottom:
O.K. fastforward I've built a jig/strongback. 10 feet long and five feet wide and it's level. I haven't taken the boat back apart yet but I have placed it on the jig and rechecked my bottoom for flattness.

This is what I have:
When both midseat frames are flat on the jig the rear seat frame is one 1/4 of an inch off the jig and the rear transom is about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off the jig.

When I force the rear seat frame to the jig by pushing down on the rear transom the front midseat frame raises of the jig about one 1/4 inch and
the rear transom remains off the jig about one 1/4 inch as well.

Is this a problem? :doh:

What has me confused is that the frames are indeed flush with the bottom of the side panels so it would seem that the bending of the side panels are causing the bottom to raise up in the rear. I'm not sure I can control that. What I mean is that if I have the frames fastenedd flat on the jig and let's say I start with fastening the side panel to the rear midseat frame wont the side panels naturally raise up as I bend them to the profile of the rear seat frame and transom. :doh:

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated and I bet I'll listen. :)

Thanks-- Have a great weekend
Daniel

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Murry wrote:This is the first time I've used a plane and man I love it. What a tool.
Enjoy the instant gratification it is only temporary then comes sanding....
Shhhhhh. I'm not thinking about that right now. :)
Daniel
You are a wise man. Enjoy getting to where you begin the sanding, and let that fuel the sanding. You see what all that sanding did for CL's OD18, with glossy paint, and if I remember right, also stickstuff's XF20. Sanding isn't to be feared... it's what gets you finished. :)

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

ks8 I'll admit, I had been thinking about how glossy my gf will eventually be over the last couple of weeks as I've watched Larry's final touches, but that vision is beginning fade. 8O The vision isn't completely gone, but it's back where it belongs. I'm really stuck on putting the gf together at this moment.

Let me explain everyone:

I had put the boat together per the plans flat on the floor starting in the middle working to the transoms.

It's my understanding that the bottom is to be flat from the front mid seat frame to the transom. Well, I wasn't able to achieve that by my method of construction.

So I built a jig flat and level. I took the boat back apart (thankful It was a dry construction) and secured all three seat frames to the jig at 90 degrees. I then installed the sides keeping them flat on the jig. So all three seat frames and the bottom edges of the sides are flat on my jig, I'm getting excited now, I've fixed my problem. :D Oh Yeah. Life is Good.

So.............then I put the transom into position. The transom is quite abit more narrow than the last seat frame and when I pull the sides into the rear transom they come right off the jig about 1/2 of an inch. WHICH MAKES IT NOT FLAT :!: :!: :!: :x . :help: :help:

Am I making to big a deal out of how flat the bottom should be from the front mid seat frame to the transom? I really hope the answer is yes. :)

If I widen the transom about 3/4 of an inch on each side It will remain flat but I feel like that's a large design change.