Murry's gf16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Looking good... I sure can see one of those in my garage. :D

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Your first try looks pretty close to professional to me! How are you going to improve that when you get to the experienced level? :D

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm sure a closer look would yield different responses. :wink:

Bernd the highs here are around 50F but we may see 60F in the middle of the week.

Can't you use fast hardener with those temps? I used medium Sunday envening and by this afternoon my work area had hardened, with lows around 32F and highs at 50F.

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Correction

I used 6oz. on the hull sides and frames not 9oz.. Sorry.

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Daniel,

do you know there to install the battery/ battery box? If yes, I recommend to glue at this place a additional piece of plywood to have enough depth to screw the battery holders - I bought mine a few days ago .......yesterday I had to glue this piece... :D - my battery rests in the mid seat.

Bye
Bernd

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Thanks Bernd,

I'll be using a 300amp lawn mower battery for the engine and a few accesories, mine will be going in the middle seat as well.

As far as gluing mounting plates, cutting hatches and rigging, I'm planning to wait until all hull glassing is finished.
After I finish the interior glassing I'm going to glue the cleats and temporarly fasten my seat tops with screws to keep the hull square.
I'll then flip, glass the outside wet on wet (hopefully), install strakes,
install spray rail, square up my chines, and transom edges.
basically everything except fairing.

I'll then flip the boat back over, fine tune my accessory list and go shopping. :D

That's the plan anyway, Am I mssing anything?

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Daniel,

what's about primer and paint inside the box?
About the steps.....I did it in this way:
- glassing the whole inside
- installing all backing plates
- creating my seat tops and the foredeck
- glassing the undersides of the seat tops
- glassing all hatches / both sides

after this ......here is my plan

-......primer and paint all inside of the boxes ( the next weeks)
-......primer and paint to the underside of the seat tops
-......glueing seat tops......taping, glassing, sanding
-......glassing light cloth over the rubrail...sanding
-......primer, paint all inside
-.....flipping the boat
-.....doing all outside work

-....flipping back, install elektric, rod holders....
-....time for changes at my trailer....I have to adapt the trailer to the boat because my existing boat has a deep V-hull and there are rolls for the keel installed......I have to think about a new construction.....I want to use rolls for easy slipping.....let us see.

By the way Daniel, I would first go shopping and buy all hardware. In this way you have all measure at every time you need. Think about the size of backing plates. I did it not unfortunately I had to wait sometimes to have the right measure for my backing plates.

Bye
Bernd

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Bernd, that sounds like a good plan to me.

I did forget all painting, huh. :doh:

I'm kidding. :D
I just didn't have time to type every detail.

Bernd, I'm planning to use pigmented epoxy in all boxes that won't see the sun instead of paint, but I will be doing that after all other glassing and backing plates are installed. Just before I glue the seat tops in place.

Seat top Mods--
I will draw out my hatch locations with the seat tops temporarly screwed inplace. Then I'll remove and glass the tops and then cut my hatch lines that I drew when they were installed on the boat.
I'm cutting my seat tops large so that I can plain/sand them to the frames and then just round the corners at the edges. I'll be doing this step when they are temporarely screwed in place.

Does that make sense?
Daniel

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Off topic

What size bow eye are folks using for the gf.

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Murry wrote:Bernd, that sounds like a good plan to me.

I did forget all painting, huh. :doh:

I'm kidding. :D
I just didn't have time to type every detail.

Bernd, I'm planning to use pigmented epoxy in all boxes that won't see the sun instead of paint, but I will be doing that after all other glassing and backing plates are installed. Just before I glue the seat tops in place.

Seat top Mods--
I will draw out my hatch locations with the seat tops temporarly screwed inplace. Then I'll remove and glass the tops and then cut my hatch lines that I drew when they were installed on the boat.
I'm cutting my seat tops large so that I can plain/sand them to the frames and then just round the corners at the edges. I'll be doing this step when they are temporarely screwed in place.

Does that make sense?
Daniel

I will round the edges of my seat tops then they are glued to the frames - not earlier. About glassing seat tops.....I did it a little different....glassing the whole seat top underside (light cloth) and then I cut the openings. The topside has no epoxy and no cloth at the moment. I glass and glue it then they are glued to the frames. Next step I glue/glass/tape/ it to the side panels and tape it to the frames -believe me that's very strong ......I want to have a save boat.

Please buy your hatches before cutting anything - check the size .....and then cut. Buying hatches has a lot of advantages......you don't have to mention about the hinges and you have waterproofed one. Believe me for a further building I don't spend so much time with this. Boring work.

Bow Eye......I bought mine in Kuwait then I visited my friend....I have no idea about the size. Feel free and buy what you want......for me bigger is better as too small. I glue 2 backing plates in......you know German...

Bye
Bernd