Page 1 of 1

Completed FS17

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 am
by tech_support
I received pictures of a completed FS17 built in Crystal River area of FL.

Finish is first rate. Paint is sterling, all the supplies came from us. Hopefully the builder will chime in a share more on his build.

ENGINE IS MORE THAN WE RECOMMEND

Here is a link to the gallery of 40 images

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=914

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:51 am
by Knottybuoyz
Very nice looking boat indeed. Needs a T-top maybe. Performance must be good with that much HP.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:56 am
by donk
Another beautiful boat from out of nowhere. He sure did a nice job. Get on board and take some well deserved bows!!

don

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 am
by jgroves
:D Great looking boat. I love being supprised with a new boat built! Please tell the builder he/she should do some braggin' so we can get performance numbers with the 60. :D

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:24 am
by Spokaloo
eek.... following seas with that much engine.....

E

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:47 pm
by KRE
Thanks for all of the complements. The proof of the build will be this weekend. I hope to have the rub rail installed and the Fl regestration by then. Let's hope the waterline is somewhere below the new rubrail!

I'm also a little concerned about the remaining freeboard aft with the larger engine. I kinda used jgroves FS17 as a mobel. He didnt appear to have any issue with the weight of his Honda. The Yamaha weighs about 32 pounds more. I just hope the 19 gallons of fuel weight in the bow will compensate for it.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:56 pm
by jgroves
KRE,
Certainly a beautiful boat! I think you will be fine with the 60's 32 extra pounds. I like the additions to the motorwell and the bow. Make sure you post some info and PICTURES once you get her on the water! Very exciting time. Congrats.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:24 pm
by TomW
Pretty boat KRE. Any idea of hull weight. Look forward to your numbers and handling when you get on the water. Since your in CR guess you'll have to bring her to the Meeting in April. :D

Tom

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:26 pm
by topwater
nice job :!: there are some very nice details on youre boat.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:30 pm
by Lower
Beautiful job KRE! Very nice boat...you should be proud.

I think the part I love best about seeing new boats built is how the builder modifies the boat to his/her particular needs. You don't really see too many identical boats. These FS17's are sure a great example. Jeremy's vs KRE's vs. Steve's high sides vs. Joels low sheer etc.

Again...very nice boat!

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:41 pm
by steve292
Nice work.& I am only a bit jealous,honest :lol:
Just 1 question...did you put extra frames in at the bow & stern?
Steve

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:41 pm
by Cracker Larry
That is a sweet looking boat :!: :!:

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:20 pm
by Spokaloo
If you are in the south, Im sure you will be fine on the stern.

E

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:23 pm
by onemilehigh
Would enjoy seeing some performance numbers when you get them.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm
by KRE
If you look at the gallery pictures you'll notice that I built the boat real close to the dirt (maybe a canditate for a name here!). In any case the motor could not be mounted until after I moved the boat onto the trailer. I completely rigged the boat including all harnesses, cables, hardware, etc, while it was close to the groud (easier on old bones). I had access to a calibrated Dillon load scale...so I used it when I lifted the boat onto the trailor. Also wanted to make sure I did'nt pull the roof down on my new paint! 780 pounds, no battery, no fuel and no engine, but everything else. Seems light compared to production boats. We'll see.

Extra bulkheads added aft of frame A for the anchor locker, and forward of Frame D. Not quite as far forward as C+.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:34 pm
by Cracker Larry
If you are in the south, Im sure you will be fine on the stern.
Do sterns squat lower in the North :doh:

I don't see any problem there. Look how stout and secure the motorwell is 8)

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:11 pm
by gk108
Nice job! I'm looking forward to seeing it in April. 8)

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:09 pm
by cape man
Very nice. Finish looks fantastic, and love the hatches. Is that a light on the front of the console?

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:53 pm
by TomW
780lbs for the hull sounds great and that is lighter than production boats one of the nice things about Jacques designs and the stitch and glue composite construction method. The 60HP should be nice on her. I'm looking at about the same weight and engine on my C17 when I get her built.

Eric is there something we do different in the south that you don't do in the Northwest. :doh:

Tom

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:39 am
by remedy32
KRE,

Boat looks fantastic...congratulations! It also gives me a great kick in the butt for next years project...thanks.

I was just about to ask if you had weighted the boat when I saw the most recent posts. I'm guessing that 780 lb. is a bit more than half the weight of a restored 1970's Aquasport 170. Can't imagine what they weigh all waterlogged sitting behind someones house before being fixed up. I'm guessing that the FS17's performance should be very good at this weight.

I think it might be REALLY helpful to all of us if we could gather more information as boats are completed as to actual weight, fore-aft balance point, observed performance etc. This would be especially helpful for designs where it looks like a large number of boats will actually be finished rather than just plans sold.

I was in the Keys last weekend....your weather (even with the wind) is a lot more inviting than here in the north for new boat testing. Hope you can get the boat wet soon and post some more pictures.

Thanks and good luck,

Bill in CT

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:13 am
by donk
KRE.

Like Cape Man I really like the hatches. Could you provide more info on how you constructed them and what hardware you used. I looked at all the pictures of your build and understand the basic concept but am interested in how you made them water tight.

Thanks, don

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:36 am
by jacquesmm
remedy32 wrote:
I think it might be REALLY helpful to all of us if we could gather more information as boats are completed as to actual weight, fore-aft balance point, observed performance etc. This would be especially helpful for designs where it looks like a large number of boats will actually be finished rather than just plans sold.
That information exist and is well known. Designers know where to put the LCG and what performance to expect.
For starters, there is the "Small Boat" papers published on a CD by the SNAME.
That data is used to design our boats just as I used to design fiberglass boats that were produced by the thousand.
I don't want our builders to think that our boats are based on guesswork.

I am still interested in the behavior and performance of all boats that our builder's launch especially when they go a little bit outside of the design parameters, in this case, with a larger engine than specified.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:00 am
by Spokaloo
Prevailing swell in the south runs through shallower water askew of land, and doesn't have as much fetch. Coastal waters here have a swell thats parallel to land, beginning in very deep water, and a fetch that begins speaking japanese before it learns to speak english. 20+ foot swells on the coast aren't uncommon here.

E

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:56 am
by Cracker Larry
Well, I guess it's maybe marginally more fetch than from Africa to Florida . And maybe it's a little deeper than the Atlantic's average depth of 12,900 feet, or it's deepest at 28,200 feet, but a 20' swell is not particularly uncommon here either :doh:

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:30 pm
by KRE
Donk,

The hatches are not watertight, but they do all have drains. The three large wells aft have drains to a throughhull on the starbord side. Stb well is a circulating live well, Mid is an insulated cooler, port is a fish box. The aft two hatches are really just service holds that drain to the bildge. The anchor locker and the console(s) drain to the bildge.

I got the hardware from a discount parts house on the internet. The address escapes my right now. I'll retrieve it and post latter. The latches were like 12 bucks and hinge sets 3 bucks a set. Great prices.

I may have to play the Gilligan Island theme song during this weekends see trials. She's blowing like the dickens!

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:33 pm
by KRE
Oops, forgot the last part. All of the lumber is Cypress except the Okume ply.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:36 pm
by Spokaloo
You have me there Larry.

I thought you guys had typically W to E winds with the global pattern. If you get dedicated easterlies, you are 100% right.

E

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:53 pm
by blindmullet
remedy32 wrote:KRE,

I was just about to ask if you had weighted the boat when I saw the most recent posts. I'm guessing that 780 lb. is a bit more than half the weight of a restored 1970's Aquasport 170. Can't imagine what they weigh all waterlogged sitting behind someones house before being fixed up. I'm guessing that the FS17's performance should be very good at this weight.

Thanks and good luck,

Bill in CT
I would think the Aquasport would be around 1K#'s - My '77 Mako is around 1200#'s.

NICE boat - great work!

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:34 pm
by Aripeka Angler
KRE, I would like to see details on your hatch drains. The hardware and detailing on the stern hatches looks better than on a production boat :wink:

E don't underestimate the swells in the Gulf of Mexico. When the wind is puffing hard the seas here can be life-threatening 8O

Richard

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:35 pm
by cape man
Your hardware looks just like the stuff I bought (which is very encouraging to me :D , cause it looks GREAT), and I think you got it here
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/dring.html

Nice stuff, and good prices.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:55 pm
by KRE
Cape man,

Yes, that is the same place. The price went up a little, now their $18.32 a piece. Good quality for a fair price!

The Taco rub rail came in the mail today. Just like an impatient little kid, I ripped through the box and started screwwing it on. Looks good. Hope the 5200 is dry for the big day tomorrow.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:17 pm
by jayb01
Make sure you get plenty of pictures:

-at rest empty (if possible)
-at rest loaded (people & gear)
-and a few action pics on plane & trimmed

Really nice build!

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:09 am
by gk108
Well, you beat on the rubrail. I've had mine for a couple of months and finally got ready to put it on. Nothing but rain since then. :x

Good luck. 8)

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:13 pm
by KRE
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... espeed.jpg

Jacque, you design a very nice hull. Thank you.

I've sent more pictures to Joel for upload into the gallery. (Hopefully I'll learn to do it myself) All went well. Draft was as expected. Sole is barely off the bubble aft. Uncharacteristically stable hull for a boat of this size and weight, I was impressed! I forgot the GPS so I have no exact speed data. I'll guess that at 3800 RPM she runs about 25kts with the 13X15P aluminum prop. I cant wait until the break in period is over an I can exceed 4000rpm. I'm going again tomorrow, will make sure I dont forget the GPS.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:22 pm
by KRE
http://s383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/KREPhoto/

My smater than I Son, (boat driver in the pictures) has found another way to skin the cat. Use the link above to get to the gallery.

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:31 am
by JohnH
KRE,

Congrats on the boat. Looks great and I love the video shots.

The consul: is it out of the plans or shop bought? I really like the hand rail on it. Looks just right there.

Well done

John

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:59 am
by Aripeka Angler
Kurt, I thought you might not mind. :D

Nicely done. The boat sits good in the water :wink: Have I missed the name :doh:

Richard

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:49 am
by cape man
Beautiful job. Looks like she'll run like a bat at of hell with the Yamadog. Like the rear deck plan.

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:07 am
by KRE
Airapika Angler,

Thanks, I'll eventually learn to do that. :oops:

The console was built right next to the boat. I bought the rail before I started the console then built the console to fit the rail. If your gonna be, cheap ya gotta be resourceful :idea:

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:33 am
by TomW
Kurt georgeous job and nice ride. She should be a great boat for you at CR loved your city last year hope to meet you in the spring.

Tom

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:10 pm
by topwater
Very very clean deck design, the boat looks awsome on the
water :!:

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:27 pm
by dborecky
Kurt,

Awesome build!!!!

I have a question? What did you use for the bulkhead fitting I see the fuel line attached to?

Derrick

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:25 pm
by Steven
dborecky wrote:Kurt,

Awesome build!!!!

I have a question? What did you use for the bulkhead fitting I see the fuel line attached to?

Derrick
Probably something like this:

http://seasense.com/index.php?page=shop ... &Itemid=26

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:42 pm
by Steven
She's a beauty. A very nice build. Is that the standard sheer or raised sheer?

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:59 pm
by KRE
Cant get nothing by this crew. Steve is exactly right. The 3/8" fuel line bulkhead fittings come in brass or aluminum. About 6 bucks.

Put my first 5 redfish in the boat today. I had three men, wells full and throttle wide open for about 2 minutes. It was heavy. The 13X15p prop may be a little steep for that load. Only achieved 5300rpm at 29 kts (GPS in hand). I'll try it again with a lighter load (two people and empty wells) to see if the Yamaha can hit the majic 5500+ rpm. She was loaded very heavy today. I also found out that I made the bait well far to large. Almost need to fish for the bait in the well. I'm going to figure out a way to split the livewell into more manageable sections.

Richard, still no name for her.

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:18 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Put my first 5 redfish in the boat today
Richard, still no name for her

Redfish are good :D How about Red Dawn, Red Sky, Red Enough, Really Red, Too Red, Mixed Bag, First Red, Redfisher, Redstalker, Slot Limit, On Top, Big E'nuff, Too Big, First Light, RedAlert...oops that one is taken :D

Richard

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:06 pm
by gk108
Well Red
8)

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:04 am
by Lower
KRE...thanks for posting the action shots. Boat looks really sharp in the water!!

Just an FYI to others...KRE does have a couple videos on the link if interested. Those are fun to watch!

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:50 pm
by KRE
Is that the standard sheer or raised sheer
Its a Standard sheer. This was my first build. I thought it best to stay with the original design untill I became a little more proficient with the assembly methods. The cockier I got, the more I added. Really the only difference between what Jacques intended and this boat is the flat cut transom. And that was more of an after thought than anything.

Still no name. What do you guys think of "Lumpy". Yes, not real refined, not real big, but comes across as a little bully. My wife hates it. I need support! :help:

moral support

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:50 am
by Tagged
I think a boat should be named WHATEVER her wise skipper desires.

And I think a wise skipper does what Mama says. Just remember, so long as the name is feminine, you'll be able to say you have one girl you can tell where to go. (as long as you don't say it too loud).

Tag

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:12 pm
by bushmaster
Hi Richard,

Beautiful boat. I am still recovering from complicated health problems, and can't find the energy to continue my build as I would like to. However I am still able to do a little bit at a time.

I am also building the FS17 and had the same idea of the extra compartments at the bow and stern with the tank in the bow as you have it.

What is the size of your tank and where did you buy it? Is it custom made? if so please give me the source.

Love your boat

Bushmaster

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:54 am
by cape man
I also found out that I made the bait well far to large. Almost need to fish for the bait in the well.
Use a bigger net 8) I am a large bait well fisherman, often carrying 300+ herring so I can live chum. The standard 6" bait well nets work great when its full of bait, but found it MUCH easier to use a 12" when the bait is getting low. When not using live bait, I use the big well to hold my catch, or turn everything off and have a nice big place for storage. I wouldn't divide it up.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:46 am
by bushmaster
Hi KRE

This was intended for you in stead of Richard.

Beautiful boat.
I am still recovering from complicated health problems, and can't find the energy to continue my build as I would like to. However I am still able to do a little bit at a time.

I am also building the FS17 and had the same idea of the extra compartments at the bow and stern with the tank in the bow as you have it.

What is the size of your tank and where did you buy it? Is it custom made? if so please give me the source.

Love your boat

Bushmaster

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:17 am
by KRE
What is the size of your tank and where did you buy it? Is it custom made?
BUSHMASTER,

The tank is custom made aliminum. I scribbled some dimensions on a knapkin and went to a local fab shop. They did it for about $250. Barimundi Fabrication, Homosassa Fl. To the best of my recollection it measures 27"w X 24H and is 16 inches tall (pie shaped). It works out to around 19 gallons. Frame A needs to be moved aft about an inch or two if you want to stay with 16" high. In hindsight, I dont think you need that much. 12-15 gallons would be plenty. The extra bulkhead aft of that for the anchor locker seems to firm things up even more. There is one drawback to this design. Notice the two stereo speakers on the forward bulkhead. Thats the only way in to service the sending unit and make any hose connections. Make good and durn sure the tank is hydroed before you seal the focsle lest you cut it off again! I think there's a picture of the tank foamed in in the gallery. I was going to use a plastic tank at first. It was returned to overtons. You cant foam a plastic tank. And their prone to chaffing.

Kurt (KRE)

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:29 am
by onemilehigh
Kurt,

Beautiful boat. Do you have any performance numbers for her yet? I'd be interested to see how she performs at various power setting including WOT with an average load. I am thinking of building the same boat.

Michael

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:36 am
by jacquesmm
Thanks for the pictures, she looks good.

I am glad that despite the large motor your cockpit is still self bailing. You were close to the limit and I was worried.

One more successful build, great.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:56 pm
by bushmaster
Thanks Kurt

What do you mean by "Make good and durn sure the tank is hydroed before you seal the focsle lest you cut it off again!"

I am new to boat building and I can't figure out some of these technical terms yet

Thanks once again

Bushmaster :o

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:44 pm
by onemilehigh
Hydro is short for Hydrostatic testing. Usually tanks, etc. are pressurized to make sure the welder did the job. You want to make sure it's good and leak free since tanks are normally sealed in some cavity, under floors, etc.

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:43 pm
by bushmaster
Thanks onemilehigh

Do I have to take it to some place special to get it pressurized or do I just pour water into it to make sure it does not leak?

Bushmaster

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:50 pm
by KRE
Bushmaster,

The shop that makes the tank for you should know how to perform the Hydrostatic test. It's usually done with air at about 5-10 pounds pressure, then "Snooped" with a soapy type solution to look for bubbles. If the shop doesnt do, charges extra, or is not sure how to pressure test...then go somewhere else!!

Kurt

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:28 am
by TomW
Kurt I believe it also has to hold that pressure for 12 hours.

Tom

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:15 am
by onemilehigh
I agree with KRE, the shop should test every tank they make. The last tank I had made the shop tested to 4 psi. I am sure there are different ways, but the shop I used checked the tank after 24 hours to make sure it still was at 4 psi. Guess it's similar to a leak down test.

M

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:25 am
by TomW
Onemile I think your shop used the right test. There is a USCG requirement that tanks must meet, I just can't lay my hads on them right now. Your test sounds right though. It has been a while. Don't get many tanks built or tested. I thought I had it bookmarked but can't find it right now.

Tom

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:54 am
by bushmaster
Thanks All for the detailed info on pressure testing. I will sure to make sure that I get the tank pressurised before installation.

Bushmaster

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:50 am
by TomW

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 am
by carolinaboatbuilder
KRE- beautiful FS17. You should be proud, I bet it is hard to get off dock with everyone asking who is manufacturere!

I just finished bottom and side coats on mine. Will try to flip today, if I find enough man(woman) power available. I really like your rub rail. Could you tell me which Taco profile,part number you usedDid you get kit with end caps and insert?

Hope to post some pics, if I can fiqgure out how to do. Maybe I just email to Joel to post.

Tri, Manteo,NC :doh:

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:58 pm
by KRE
Tri,

Sorry for the late reply. I only do this internet thing when I'm cant work outside. The Taco Part Number is V11-3447 with a black insert. The kit comes with end caps, screws, insert and rail. Also a handy DVD for installation tips. At the tip of the bow I used a heat gun to render the rail plyable and just bent it around. Pain in the arse but worth every sweat bead spent. The combination of Jacques overhang and this rubrail is a real side saver when next to an old nasty dock. Hope this isnt to late. Good luck

Kurt

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:21 am
by colonialc19
Tri, hope the flip went well,
sorry I wasn't around the day you stoped by,& my garage was trashed

Daniel