wegcagle's GV-15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I'm not sure which enclosure you have, but a thought... If you double the roof thickness, it may actually chafe and not last as long. Might be better to use one layer, but hang on to that spare in case the first blows out.
I got the shelter logic 10'x20'. By the looks of your poles they are the same. Good point on the double roofing. I'll probably just use the second tarp to wrap the boat....when I get to that point.

By the way I was looking over my plans tonight and have noticed that the transom is for 15" outboard, but it looks like most outboards in the hp area I'm looking at (35-50hp) are 20" shafts. Any recs on the best way to raise the transom when it's already level with shearline???

I was looking at Joel's low shear FS17 and REALLY like the rounded look. I may duplicate that here. I figure if Joel did it, I can't go wrong :wink:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Rounding is probably easiest and best. Just remember to add the extra height to the clamping boards or all the peices of the transom.

Tom

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I started drawing out my sides, bottom, and stringers....Then came the rain. :x I guess I'll get started again on Friday :?

Isn't that some purty plywood. BIG difference between cheap and quality plywood. 8)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I started drawing out my sides, bottom, and stringers....Then came the rain.
Same here. Was soldering and heat shrinking and testing electronics, when up came a pour. It killed my battery charger that was pretending to be a battery :(
Isn't that some purty plywood. BIG difference between cheap and quality plywood.
You are right about that. No comparison :lol:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Just an update. Today I was able to draw, cut out, and splice my panels/stringer. Tomorrow I will try to cut out all of the frames/transom, and see if I can get something that looks like a boat by the end of the weeks.

PS I get the feeling this pic will make some of you neat freaks cring :D

Will

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Either you are using fiberglass splices, or you may have a problem with duplicate panels. :?

You think that's messy? :lol:

The first batch... hmmm... I don't think I remember that anymore. :oops:

cape man

Post by cape man »

I get the feeling this pic will make some of you neat freaks cring
It's fun to make neat freaks cringe. Like the plastic under and over the splices 8) Otherwise you might glue them to the floor :oops:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Either you are using fiberglass splices, or you may have a problem with duplicate panels
Yep, using fiberglass splices.
It's fun to make neat freaks cringe. Like the plastic under and over the splices Otherwise you might glue them to the floor
If I can glue epoxy to concrete I'd be pretty damn impressed, but then again this stuff nevers ceases to amaze me. 8)

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

"If I can glue epoxy to concrete..."

An overnight drip of epoxy cured on my smooth concrete floor. It was half a sphere about half the diameter of a glass marble. Found it with my foot in a couple of days. Tried to kick it off with my boot - no go. Got out a cold chisel and a ball peen hammer. One good hit and I had a complete small marble - half epoxy, half concrete ... and a hole in my garage floor.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Some composite concrete modular bridges have their sections glued together with .... epoxy. Maybe its not exactly SilverTip.

No doubt some hefty through bolting may be involved too.

I liked the Old Carlton Bridge seen next to it. When it raised to let a ship pass into or out of BIW, it was a reminder of the role BIW has been in the community. Now the ships scoot under the new bridge with no fuss or muss. Not all fuss or muss is bad.

Anyway, epoxy and concrete can be effectively inseparable friends. :)