wegcagle's GV-15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Terry E Gustine
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Location: Mountains 40 miles west of Redding, CA Trinity lake & River

Post by Terry E Gustine »

Webcagle
Be sure to use the bow jig and go to NAPA now and get the strongest ties that they have for the bow section. It is a real pull.

Terry
STATE OF JEFFERSON SHOULD RISE AGAIN

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Lots of us with epoxy on the concrete to grind off. :D

Tom

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Be sure to use the bow jig and go to NAPA now and get the strongest ties that they have for the bow section. It is a real pull.
I was planning on making the bow jig after reading about the Zen Basser. Will do on the zip ties. Thanks for the FYI Terry. That's what I love about this forum. Learning from each other's difficulties :D

Will

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Just a few update pics on my way to the big family christmas bash.

Will

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Here's a few more updated pictures. I'm obviously not done tinkering with the stitches but it's actually REALLY close. I never would have imagined all of those pieces of meranti would come together this easily. The designer needs to get a huge credit on how well these boats come together. 8) I've quickly learned that if something isn't working the way it is supposed to, it's MY fault :oops: Usually it's a lack of reading the plans. Luckily so far so good though :D

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

"Lots of us with epoxy on the concrete to grind off."
Or: heat, scrape and rub with old towel.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

She's coming together quickly! :)

I haven't built a planing hull. I'm just wondering, looking at this shot, is there a bit of hook in those stringers, or is it the camera lens distorting things? Maybe the design is supposed to have a slight bit of hook to push the bow down? I don't know. Just thought I'd toss the question out there. I can't tell if it is in the bottom panels, at least not from the pictures with the panels in place.

Hope the Christmas bash was/is a good time! :)

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I think (and hope) that it's the camera. Before I stitched it up I checked my diagonal distances and tryed my best to check the lines. I thought it was all correct. After I stitched it up I tied a string to the bow and pull it tight across the transom from keep to chine to make sure there's no rocker or large gaps. (I tried to learn the lesson from the Zen Basser and his adventure with a nasty rocker in his hull). After I get the boat completely stitched and situated I plan to recheck diagonals and recheck the boat for any rocker before doing ANY epoxy/fiberglassing. So far this has been a very enjoyable, addicting, and fairly pain free experience (which scares the hell out of me that I'm forgetting something.)

Will

Terry E Gustine
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Location: Mountains 40 miles west of Redding, CA Trinity lake & River

Post by Terry E Gustine »

Will
Mine looked like that also, but when stitched up, I put a long level on the keel and above the stringers. They all checked out ok,but not perfect. It didn't take tomuch fairing to take care of it. After the flip ,the stringers needed some triming bht not drastic. Double check and carry on.

Terry
STATE OF JEFFERSON SHOULD RISE AGAIN

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

wegcagle wrote:So far this has been a very enjoyable, addicting, and fairly pain free experience (which scares the hell out of me that I'm forgetting something.)
Don't forget to secure the flimsomflogga in place before starting the seams. I imagine the less hell inside, the better. :)