Ollie's CX25 (Modified)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

bernd1 wrote:

(location ......right hand...Stuttgart...where the best cars of the world are designed)
Italy jou mean
We all know it's Detroit!

Can't wait to see this one come together Ollie!

Joe

dustin1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dustin1 »

Ollie,

What might influence chair installation as significantly as cockpit length (I agree the helm station could be positioned a couple of feet further forward than on that Shearline 25) could be the amount of beam you have to work with. You will probably have around 8 feet of effective beam - probably close to four feet narrower than the effective beam of a Lochin 333 - and your chair is going to need to be carefully measured to fit that space. Don't forget to allow some clearance for the wireman to squeeze between the footrest and gunwale.

The gunwale height doesn't worry me as much as having an outboard hanging off the back. You'll remember how close the line and leader came to the edge of the swim platform on the Balancal on those two fish, especially the second one - and the way that one did those switchbacks kiting from left to right across the transom while trying to dig deeper against the pull of the wire at the same time. I think these issues can be managed from an outboard vessel, but the skipper will need to be careful to keep the fish off to the side whichever way it goes, as the wireman won't be able to walk a deep fish across the transom with the outboard(s) in the way - so the skipper will need to follow the switchbacks, pinwheels etc more closely. The whole process of wiring a fish and the associated boat handling is going to be a little different from what we are both used to, but it will be fun working things out. If I get to wire any fish this year I'll try working off the sides as much as possible for practice!

cheers dustin

ben2go
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ben2go »

Any updates on this build?Just curious.I am looking to start building soon.I'm narrowing my choices and getting ready to place an order.

OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

Well everyone said that you can never set times and deadlines in boat building and stick to them. I had planned to get the strongback built today and mount the stations on it but that didn't happen.

What I got done was move all the stuff from my work unit to the new shop, stopped for lunch, wife rang and said that Robs wanted to help. went to pick him up, shot across to the work yard to pick the trailer up to go to the DIY store to collect wood that was ordered in week. That was at 1.30pm. DIY store shuts at 1.00pm on a Sunday. Can't moan at myself though, as I was due to collect yesterday on my return into town from a training course I was on in the morning, but went to see Dad who got taken into hospital on Friday night. He's OK and thats all that matters.

What I did get done though was some more cutting, and I finished off station H with the missing measurement that Jacques posted the other week. Thankfully I have an internet phone so I could look up that figure, as I did not write it on the plan!

So this is whats done to date.
Stations A through I
Frame A and I
Transom x 3, all laminated together
Motorwell x 2

I guess about 15hours work over 4 days. I have as yet to put in a full day, that will come though! Only took 1 pick today and that was of my new home for the next couple of years!

Truck is a Ford Ranger, thats a big shed I got there! There is enough room the far side of the truck to build the boat plus work bench.

Regards

Ollie

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

OK Ollie, you've made all of us tent and carport builders jealous. :D

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Wow, that's a serious sized shop :!: The 25 is a serious boat too! I really like those. Hmmm, I need something to build next. It's probably a good thing that I don't have a shop that big :lol:

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Very nice :!:

I hope to be seeing alot of pictures with that shop in the background :D

ben2go
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ben2go »

Nice shop.Good to hear your father's ok.I love those Rangers.Wish we got those in the US.I have a silver 2001 short cab with a step side bed and chrome package This is my second small Ranger.It's good to know you haven't given up on the build.

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

a week and a half, since you got your new shop.....

any pics of progress yet?

Bradley

OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

Doc_Dyer wrote:a week and a half, since you got your new shop.....

any pics of progress yet?

Bradley
Bradley, I work away from home quite a bit, not to bad now, but come May-Sept it's nearly every weekend! Was away last weekend with work, and this weekend was "Mothers Sunday" in the UK so went away with the family for the night. Wife got the whole spa treatment, I got to look after the kids!
Got Tuesday thru Friday off work this next week, so should break the back of things all been well!

wait for then and there should be loads to tell

Regards

Ollie