OB17 Build in Oklahoma

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB17 Build in OKC

Post by Boater45 »

Well, I started fairing with Quickfair today......wish I would have bought the 1.5gal kit instead of the 1.5qts. I love this stuff.
I can offically call this a boat now.....
Quickfair is great.....
I wish I had enough to get the bottom completed.....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

Looking good. Just keep sanding. Sanding, sanding. :)

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Yup - it's great stuff, costs a little more but my time and frustration is worth something too :D

A little tip for the the future - if you do a quick sanding while the epoxy is still green, you can knock down the selvage (the threads binding the biaxial strands together). :idea: That will save a lot of QuickFair. I can tell you didn't because the lines showing in your glass run parallel to the keel instead of 45°. Just take care not to damage the glass. And remember - at this point, you're not sanding, you're fairing. The goal is fair panels and covering all the glass with fairing compound. The only abrasive touching the hull as this stage should be attached to a long board otherwise you'll just end up following the existing contours wasting time and materials. Keep a long straight edge handy, keep laying it against the hull sides and bottom to look for high spots, hollows, rocker and hooks. The most critical surface on your boat is the last 5-6 feet of the bottom to the transom. You should see QuickFair building up on both sides of the original panel splices and beside the corner tapings.

You're doing great. Before you know it, you'll be splashing primer. That's when sanding serious starts. :wink:
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

Lucky_Louis wrote:Yup - it's great stuff, costs a little more but my time and frustration is worth something too :D

A little tip for the the future - if you do a quick sanding while the epoxy is still green, you can knock down the selvage (the threads binding the biaxial strands together). :idea: That will save a lot of QuickFair. I can tell you didn't because the lines showing in your glass run parallel to the keel instead of 45°. Just take care not to damage the glass. And remember - at this point, you're not sanding, you're fairing. The goal is fair panels and covering all the glass with fairing compound. The only abrasive touching the hull as this stage should be attached to a long board otherwise you'll just end up following the existing contours wasting time and materials. Keep a long straight edge handy, keep laying it against the hull sides and bottom to look for high spots, hollows, rocker and hooks. The most critical surface on your boat is the last 5-6 feet of the bottom to the transom. You should see QuickFair building up on both sides of the original panel splices and beside the corner tapings.

You're doing great. Before you know it, you'll be splashing primer. That's when sanding serious starts. :wink:
So should I sand down the threads binding the biaxial strands together(selvage) before I continue to fair? I want to make this as painless as possible!!!

Thanks,
Will

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

If you can Will where you don't have any QF and havn't put any fairing material. It will go easier for you as you go along. Looking at it you have already filled in between the salvage and it won't be worth your time.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

Just wondering if I screwed up..... :doh: So just keep on fairing and sanding....and sanding....and sanding.....
I'm out of town until next Friday and can't wait to get back and get at it again. This is really quite addictive. :help:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Nope no screw up you'll just use a little more fairing material. :D

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

TomW wrote:Nope no screw up you'll just use a little more fairing material. :D

Tom

Good thing I just bought 1.5gal of Quick Fair today. 8O Should be there on Thursday.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Fairing is torture, but well worth it. I spent more than 120 hours fairing my hull, lost a few pounds and gave my cardio vascular system a real treat :wink: All well worth it. I agree with LL. Use only a long fairing board (torture board) keep filling the lows and wearing down the highs, and your best friend is a good straight edge about four foot long.

Just keep going till it is perfect.

My fairing tools

My trusty straight edge, I use this thing all the time, it is very handy for all sorts of jobs, but really good for checking fairness especially when rested on one of its corners.

Slippa

Steven

Post by Steven »

Or spend 60 hours doing it and use the other 60 for fishing. :) Course it won't look as purty.