Page 1 of 1

PH18 w/tunnel

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:47 pm
by Uncle D
Hi all. First attempt but excited to be doing this. Wife isn't too crazy about it though. :roll: The honey-do list is getting bigger. :oops: Oh well, started cutting material. Got the side and bottom panels done. Hope to get the rest of the cuts done soon. Hotter than blue blazes here already. Can't wait for summer. 8O I was sent medium hardener in the epoxy kit so that has to go back for slow.
It was a little slow going at first but that was because I didn't want to make a mistake. Hope to get some pics up soon when it starts to look like something. D.

Re: PH 18 w/tunnel

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:13 pm
by Mad Dog
Come on Uncle D, post some pics. Scraps on the floor will do. Those first cuts are a milestone that need to be documented. :P

MD :wink:

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:08 am
by Uncle D
Hey Dog, Will do. Actually I need a new C-F card for the camera before I can.D

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:35 am
by Uncle D
Seem to be spinning my wheels. Ordered the proper plywood instead of trying to short cut to save money. Good news is I can use the cheep stuff for my patterns so I don't have to lay it all out again. Should be here by the end of the week. Still sorting out a lost box by UPS on my fiberglass kit order. Joel said he'd see to it so one less worry. Got the stringers cut and most of the bulkheads. I want to finish the rest of them and start gluing but it always seems like something comes up to stall my efforts. :x I'm going to hope for the best next week. :D
Later Don

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:08 pm
by Uncle D
Got to thinking last nite about a thread that was about a tunnel. They talked about how they added to the top of the transom to keep it at the height for a 20in shaft. So the PH 18 hull can be built on the stringers and bulkhead. Thinking on this, I guess I'll have to build up a jig type support for the added height of the transom to offset the bulkhead height. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks, Don

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:53 pm
by Uncle D
Got a little more done. Realized I'm using way too much resin wetting out the glass. Still have the transom to cut. After that I think I'll be able to stitch. :D
One question this time, I'm adding a tunnel so when is the best time to do it . :doh:

Buster and Bear inspecting the hull panels.

Busters done. Get back to work.

Stringer splice, too much resin!!

Some weave showing but still too much. :x D.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:21 pm
by Mad Dog
You're off to a good start! :D
Uncle D wrote:
One question this time, I'm adding a tunnel so when is the best time to do it .
I.M.H.O. If it were me I would wait until I had the stringers and panels in place. That way you can follow all the design recommendations to make sure the hull is true and strong before cutting away part of the structure. That's from the guy that never build one of Jacques' designs.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:19 am
by Uncle D
Good advice Charles, I spent the evening working out the transom. doing a little extra for the bigger engine. Later, D.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:04 pm
by Mad Dog
Hey Don, how's it going? I hope this heat isn't holding you up. I know its too hot in SA to work outside. ABout gave myself heat stroke Friday. :(

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:19 pm
by jacquesmm
Mad Dog wrote:. . . I would wait until I had the stringers and panels in place . . . to make sure the hull is true and strong before cutting away part of the structure.
Correct and very important.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:00 pm
by Uncle D
It's been very hot, MD, but you know that.
Thanks for the reply Jacques. Dog's a smart fellow, and it's good to get backed up. Don't know if you are from Canada, but my wife has been up to visit her mom and other relatives in St. Martins near Quebec. Mostly Pepin's. Lots cooler there than here or Florida.

I'll post pics as soon as Julie get's back with the camera, but I have been getting a little work done. Got the bottom laid up with cloth. I have a couple of air spots,about the size a quarter or less that needs attention. Sooo... :doh: should I grind it out and use filler or put on a patch of glass. I'm also thinking of a second layer on the bottom. then finally, I think I want to go with the epoxy/graphite as the final bottom coat. How much and how many coats will it take? Thanks, Don

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 pm
by Mad Dog
Hey Uncle D, can't wait to see some pics of you progress. I'll let one of the other guys commento on the air bubbles and second layer of glass. As for the graphite three coats is about right. I still need to send you my left over graphite. I don't have as much as I thought though, but at least enough for one coat. A one pound bag is plenty.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:56 pm
by TomW
With such small bubbles just cut them out and fill them in. As far as the 2nd layer are you going to be running up on oyster beds, or other things that you will say dang which I had that second layer. If so you probably want the second layer. I'm going to be doing a lot of boating on the Mississippi where there are snags always coming down as well as my home lake her in NC which is River fed so it also has snags so I'm putting on 2 layers. Clarry did do to oyster bars in GA on his OD. Just remembers it adds some weight but I don't consider it significant.

One way to add it and cut down on your fairing is to add the second layer inside the tape outlines on the chines and keel.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:48 pm
by Uncle D
Don't worry about it Dog, I found out my brother can get for me in Houston. Just please tell me how much to mix and I guess I need to fair the bottom first and add the strakes (sp?) or what?? :doh:
Tom, You got it on the oyster beds and such. I also thought about the laying between too, so thanks for confirming that. Later, Don

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:14 pm
by Mad Dog
Don, I would put the graphite on last. Lay on your second layer of glass and fill the weave with epoxy and micro balloon fillers. Then put on the strakes, according to instructions, then fair the bottom using Quick Fair. Then, put on three coats of graphite. I mixed the graphite and epoxy at 20% by volume more or less. Thicker in the first coat than the last. You're not looking for putty or filet more like a thin slurry.

Follow the build order to make sure you get the structural integrity then end with the graphite to give everything, including the strakes a nice hard surface. Besides the quick Fair needs a sealer over it anyway.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:30 am
by Cracker Larry
Tom, You got it on the oyster beds and such. I also thought about the laying between too, so thanks for confirming that.
Yep, it eliminates a dished bottom and a lot of fairing.
One way to add it and cut down on your fairing is to add the second layer inside the tape outlines on the chines and keel.
I actually did it on the first layer...

Then covered everything with the second layer, which I overlapped down the center about 18".

It's oyster proof :D

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:10 am
by Uncle D
I appreciate it guys, going to get back to it soon. Thanks, Don

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:29 pm
by Mad Dog
Okay, time for an update. I'm watching you on two forums so you need to keep up! :P

Re: Don's PH 18 w/tunnel

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:49 pm
by Uncle D
Hi all, things got crazy for a while, but I got back to plugging along. Got some pics to post of the progress, but first I would like ya'lls opinion on the side panel joints. I'm thinking on gluing and screwing a butt block on the inside to fair this joint.

The right side is not as bad but still needs attention. So...what do you think??

Here's the other pics.
My strong back. I used a 1/2" all thread, 6" long. I then threaded about 2 " it into the 4x4. The 2x6 was drilled open so it could move up and down on the rest of the all thread, then a washer and nut to adjust for leveling.
Getting the frame ready for hull and side panels to be stitched.
Had to cut and loosen the ties, then start pulling ties front to back to get the bow to align.
All done stitching. Time to glue.
Got all the out side seams and first layer of cloth. After taping the seams, I wet out the hull. The next day layed the cloth on both sides using about 1 gal. of resin per side. I think I got the 50-50 ratio down. I then sanded the hull with the RO and wet between the seams to lay a second layer of cloth between those seams. This should help protect the bottom from reefs but also help in fairing.
Ready to flip.
I really like the shape/lines of the bow. Had to do some grinding on it.
Got all the sanding and grinding of the inside done.
Now I'm at the point where I need to address the side panel splices mentioned earlier, then tape the inside seams.
Later, Don.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:17 pm
by TomW
Uncle D don't know where the rubrail or inwale is in your construction documents but this may be the solution to your problem. Most of the boat plans(5) I have have the raubrail or inwhale installed before the flip and this keeps what happened to you from happening. So hopefully by installing it and just pulling that point in you will solve the problem. I'd hate to see you install a flat peice of wood as that is a curved section of the hull.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:32 pm
by Cracker Larry
I agree with Tom, Uncle D. The rubrail will straighten it out.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:31 pm
by BassMunn
There is no rubrail in the plans for the Phantoms, although you could obviously put one on.
An interior deck cleat is installed instead which would do the same thing, but they are spaced between the bulkheads

If it were me I would install a butt block just to be sure. I'm no structural engineer but in my view a kink like that indicates some sort of failure, whether it be the glass or the ply starting to give way. I would put in a butt block and lay another layer of tape on the outside just to make sure.

Or

On my PH16, bulkhead B lined up directly with that joint, I'm not sure how the PH18 lines up, but if it does you can pull that in against the bulkhead. The bulkhead laminations should strengthen it up enough to not have to put a butt block in.

That's my 2c worth anyway.

Otherwise the boats looking good :wink:

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:58 pm
by TomW
Shannon that's why I mentioned the inwhales as I saw the notches in his frames. I assumed these were for the inwale which is a rubrail only on the inside of the hull and they should run the same with no breaks.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:18 pm
by BassMunn
TomW wrote:Shannon that's why I mentioned the inwhales as I saw the notches in his frames. I assumed these were for the inwale which is a rubrail only on the inside of the hull and they should run the same with no breaks.

Tom
Sorry Tom, didn't read properly :oops:
So that's what an Inwale is :lol:
I put my bulkheads in first and then installed the inwales in pieces - Oops

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:16 pm
by Dougster
I have so little experience I sometimes hesitate to speak on issues like this. Still, I went through some similar issues with Nina because of poor alignment of my stations. What I think is, that angle can be dealt with, but what works is what will work. Check out Spokaloo's thread. He had a side panel fail there! He fixed it with a Passat clamp (ya gotta see the thread, hint: yeah, Passat is a car). I used straps with two by fours and for one 2' section a clamped, doubled, homemade inwhale that will be covered by the deck. I think the first step is Tom's. A good stiff inwhale may pull her fair just fine. I'd sure start there.

Says it's just a thing Dougster

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:31 pm
by timoub007
Don,

I've been absent from the board for a while and just dropped in to start getting caught up. I couldn't help but start on your thread since you're adding a tunnel to the PH. I suggest you take a look at my thread on my GF-16 that I put a tunnel in to get some ideas, http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=190 Of course you may know a lot about tunnels already, and if so I apologize for intruding. I'd be happy to help with that portion of your build if you need it though. I'm not too far from you over on Sabine.

Tim

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:09 pm
by Mad Dog
Looking good Don. Not having built a hull, I'll not comment on your question. The other guys know what they're talking about. Looking good so far and you are really making good time on the build. Keep up the good work! Pray for cooler weather.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:48 pm
by Uncle D
Okay, Tom and CL. That sounds like my solution. I do want rubrails and I think the inwales are used for the deck support. I'll get on the rubrails next and review the plans again for the inwales.

Bass, I think a bulkhead does hit at that joint. I was thinking a butt block, glued and screwed and the inside glassed, then notch the bulkhead and install. And as Tom said, the rubrail should do it, so I think I'll try that first.

Tim, You'll have to tell me more about that tunnel and the Vent?? I'm glad I read the last page and Joel's commit. I think I'll have to have strakes on mine. Also the only pics I saw were the recent ones. The others/older, I couldn't view.

Thank you everyone, for your inputs, commits and compliments. Later, Don

Hey Dog, come on fall!! =D>

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 am
by cape man
Had a similar kink with my OD at a panel joint that the rub rail took care of. Looking good!

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:11 pm
by spkltrt
hey uncle d my name is tony i live in corpus also and was kinda intrested in seeing youre
boat in person

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:29 am
by Uncle D
Hi Tony, be glad for you to come over. I live near Callicotte and Leopard.

Got a little done this weekend, but not as much as I had hoped. Got all the rubrails on one side and half on the other. They pretty much took care of the side kink. Also got one seam down one the hull. I did find out though, one can never have enough clamps. :wink:

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:43 pm
by spkltrt
too cool practily neghbors im on shady lane
i'll give you a call perty soon, got goose bumps
cant wait to see the boat .

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:23 pm
by Uncle D
Didn't get as much done as I wanted this past weekend. Seemed like one step forward and two back. :x

finishing the rub rails

also managed to tape the center hull seam. could have gotten that a little straighter :oops:

notice the downward pitch of the rub rail toward the bow. I think some of that will come out when the stringers and bulkheads get glued in, although I do like that look.

This weekend I hope to finish glassing the insides and finish the transoms and start on the stringers and bulkheads. Later, Don

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:36 am
by Uncle D
Well the heat is blistering down here and that makes it real hard to get anything done. Worked 3 hours sat. mornin and thought I was going to die. :? Later last week got the inside sanded and prepped.

Forgot to take pics of the glassing on the inside this morning. I'll get those up, but it turned out good. Used about 2 gal of resin to do the inside so I feel I'm right on the 50/50 ratio. On Mon. got the new glassing sanded. When I get up the courage I'll get to working on the stringers and bulkheads. Later Don

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:53 pm
by BassMunn
Hey coming along nicely Uncle D.

That downward pitch of the bow is what is known as a droopy bow, it's pretty common with the phantoms. I've also got it, I liked the look of it so left it. The only problem I noticed with it is that your deck panels will also follow that line, so your deck won't be perfectly level. You'll find after you install your bulkheads that the front deck panel will seesaw on top of bulkhead A with about 1/2" play at the outer limits of the deck panel. I just cut bulkhead A down slightly to make the curve less extreme.
If you want to get rid of it, you will need to pull or push the front up a bit before glassing your stringers and bulkheads in and then do it again when you glue your sole and your decks down. I tried to see if I could lift it before putting the decks down, but with the sole and all the cleats in place it wouldn't budge.

But like I said I like the look that's why I left mine - Looks like a Ranger :D

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:17 am
by tech_support
BassMunn wrote: If you want to get rid of it, you will need to pull or push the front up a bit before glassing your stringers and bulkheads in and then do it again when you glue your sole and your decks down. I tried to see if I could lift it before putting the decks down, but with the sole and all the cleats in place it wouldn't budge.
YES!! You need to pull up that bow, and do it before glassing the insides. What happens is the weight of the unsupported bow pulls down, it also changed the shape of the bottom so your stringers will no longer fit the contour of the hull. its not too late to fix, but it would have been even easier before the rubrail went on. You can get the shape back easily by blocking up the bow, it will also force the side panels out to their proper shape. I would temporarily put back in the first few molds while I block up the bow so I could confirm the proper shape.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:57 am
by Uncle D
Thanks guys, live and learn. I cut cradles the contour of the bulkheads, mounting on the stiffback, underneath the hull where the bulkheads will be glued in. With 2 layers of glass on the outside and 1 on the inside along with the rubrail, the bow is just too stiff. I did lay a piece of scrape across the rub rails at the front bulkhead and spread the bow and screwed it. This is all I could do to spread it. I'll have to still shape up the stringers and the sides of the forward bulkhead. Pics will come soon. Thanks, Don

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:07 am
by timoub007
Don,

It does appear that most of my pictures have disappeared from my thread. I suppose it happened when the board was moved to the new server or new format.

My gallery is still available in the "builder galleries" and most all of the pictures are in chronological order. If you care to take a look at them, I believe I put a lot of comments with them as well. I'd be happy to answer any questions as well.

Looking good, and just trying to help.
Tim

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:23 am
by Mad Dog
Hey Don, we need an update. Maybe its been too hot to work epoxy. :roll:

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:43 pm
by Mad Dog
Okay Don, the temps under 100! Time to get back to work. :P

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:21 pm
by Uncle D
Hello again everyone!!
Been a year since I was last here. was dealing with docs and meds. Now the weather here in So. Tx. has cooled a little, I'm getting ready to start the project again. I have begun to re-read the plans to get back up to speed. The last work I did was to glass the inside of the hull.(sorry Shine, I did the glass work before I got your suggestion on raising the droopy bow. I'll get it raised as much as I can. Still looks cool though.)
OK, I'm going to tab the stringers in next. As I was studying the plans I saw a note on filling the stringers with foam after there done . I have 2 gal of A and 2 gal of B but I don't know if it's enough to fill all of the stringers. Any way, the plans noted to box in, or I guess cover them. I thought the sole did that and then the sole glued to 1x1 cleats attached to frames, bulkhead and stringers. Also are drains installed below the sole if they are full of foam or just cockpit drains.
I'm editing because I've been reading Smokeymountains thread on his build.I remember reading in the past about the slurry somewhere for the bottom and sides. So I guess I should have asked: What do you all suggest I do now to get back into my build. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks, Don.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:29 pm
by gstanfield
Welcome back, hope to see some new progress on the boat soon.

George

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:35 am
by tech_support
I thought the sole did that and then the sole glued to 1x1 cleats attached to frames, bulkhead and stringers.
thats right, the sole is epoxied down to the tops of the stringers and frames
Also are drains installed below the sole if they are full of foam or just cockpit drains.
Im not sure I understand the question. You run all chase tubes or PVC drains before you fill the compartments with foam, its basically impossible to do it after

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:51 am
by SmokyMountain
Any way, the plans noted to box in, or I guess cover them. I thought the sole did that and then the sole glued to 1x1 cleats attached to frames, bulkhead and stringers.
Don,

I'll take a stab. I think you are referring to the lamination schedule. As I understand the plans, once you fillet the stringers you will tape them with the 12oz biax. The next step will be to fit the bulkheads and then fillet and tape. Once this is complete you will glass with fabric the stringer / bulkhead "boxes" up to the top of the stringers. There is a step by step 11x17 lamination schedule. It took me reading it about 6-7 times to get full comprehension :oops: , but I'm slow...

We're at about the same steps... it will be good to get ideas from each other.

Andrew

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:16 pm
by Uncle D
shine wrote:

Im not sure I understand the question. You run all chase tubes or PVC drains before you fill the compartments with foam, its basically impossible to do it after
Sorry I'm not clear on a few points, Shine. I'm going to go back over past builds and your sticky on your builds to see what you did on hull drains and foam. I guess I wanted to know if I need mouse holes between the stringers to let any water drain and not be trapped. I'm sure getting ahead of myself. :oops:
SmokyMountain wrote:There is a step by step 11x17 lamination schedule. It took me reading it about 6-7 times to get full comprehension :oops: , but I'm slow...

We're at about the same steps... it will be good to get ideas from each other.

Andrew
I'll get some photos showing where I'm at and get yours and everyone's input.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:27 pm
by MarkOrge
Question: did you find the direction of the strands in the cloth went all funky when you rolled the cloth back upo and then applied it back down on the resin or did you manage to guide it from at to fore?

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 pm
by Uncle D
MarkOrge wrote:Question: did you find the direction of the strands in the cloth went all funky when you rolled the cloth back upo and then applied it back down on the resin or did you manage to guide it from at to fore?
Mark, not sure what your talking about...do you mean when I rolled out the 50" glass to do the outside and insides of the hull?? I really didn't have any problems at all during the glassing.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:28 pm
by Uncle D
After a few a problems with the transom (as in do it right the first time), I've got all the stringers and bulkheads painted with epoxy. All are set in place with spacers, ready to tab.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:00 pm
by Cracker Larry
That looks great :!: And safe. Nice work, I'm sure glad you made that change :D

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:40 pm
by MarkOrge
Hi Don. My question is around working witht the cloth so I'll take a picture and make a separate post so I don't hijack yours....

Thanks,

Mark

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:52 pm
by Mad Dog
Hey Don. Sorry I missed your return. Glad you're feeling better and back to work on your boat. :D Keep up the good wark.

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:30 pm
by MarkOrge
My question earlier on fabric fibre direction: I was laying up 2X8 flat panels for bulkheads and when rolling out the pre-measured/pre-cut 45/45, it was short when I got to the 'far end'. I then had to leave one end 'stuck' down to the resin, then go to the other end and lift the cloth up, pull it slightly to extend it to teh end fo the panel, then lay it down and finish wetting/rolling out. When you 'pull' on the fabric to get a bubble out or get it straight, it easily twists and I am paranoid about the fibres no longer perefctly 45/45, now having a bit of a 'wave' here and there. They are covered with 10 oz wr now per schedule so I'll post some pictures on my next layup to help clarify.

I just see all these hull builds with really nice straight lengths of cloth in place....and of course am envious....but can't wait to be at that stage !!

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:15 am
by tech_support
It not a problem, we do not plan on 100% perfect laminations from our builders :wink: There is a wide safety margin in our designs, the main thing is to have a good wet out and not air bubbles

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 am
by Uncle D
Mark, what seem to help me was to lay out the cloth, then roll each end to the middle. Then I'd wet the hull, roll out one side of the cloth and wet it out and roll the air bubbles out too. When that was done, I'd do the other side. I would think if you have bubbles or bad spots in your glassing, then just sand the spot out and lay in a patch. I had to do that where I got a little deep in one spot. Others on the board might can give you better way to do some of the laminating, but that worked for me.

Don

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:24 pm
by Uncle D
Got more epoxy in. Have the transom glued in. Found a 1 x 12 mahogany clamp board that will go on after I finish the stringers. I have them about half glued in. Hope to finish the stringers this week. If so I'll have a flipping party and finish the bottom.

Don

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:11 pm
by Prarie Dog
I am following your build with a great deal of interest. Are you building this boat to use in Lighthouse Lakes or are you going south?
Regards, Paul

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:33 pm
by Uncle D
Prarie Dog wrote:I am following your build with a great deal of interest. Are you building this boat to use in Lighthouse Lakes or are you going south?
I have been south to 9 mile so. of Baffin, in Baffin, upper Laguna and Nueces bay to Shamrock and north to Aransas bay at mud island. This was when I had the old Baymaster, barge was the nickname, but that boat was so heavy for the size, you were limited around some of these flats, as you probably know. I did get into the channel at the Lighthouse, but I didn't want to get caught in the flats on an out going tide, especially in the fall or spring. That's what I love about it here. you get year round fish-able weather, and hundreds of square miles of fish-able water all in the backyard. I went with the PH18 for weight, draft and range of motor sizes this boat capable of. I think Jacques said up to a 225 hp in someone else's thread, but that would be like killing fly's with a 12 ga. The tunnel should let me run in very skinny water and the sponsons with hole shot. That's my thoughts, guess we'll find out. :lol:
I see your in Colorado but you obviously know this area. Got a few flounder in Dec. now that the season has re-opened. Worked the Piper channel and the East flats. Bigger fish so I think it's getting to the end of the run.

Don

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 pm
by Prarie Dog
Don, used to spend a week or two there every year up till about 2005. In early 06 we bought a place in Sargent on East Matagorda bay. Frankly, like fishing down there better than up here but, having a GF18 might fix my Port A longings. There is a lot of skinny water in our bay system that should now be accesible. Have fun fishing down there I really love that area.
Regards, Paul

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:04 pm
by Uncle D
Paul, Mom and Dad had a place in Matagorda beside Rowling's bait camp from about 90, give or take, till 2 years ago. That's where I got really into Salt.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:41 pm
by Prarie Dog
Don
That's about 20miles due east of our place on the creek. When I was a kid we used to put in at Rowlings, run down the river to West Matagorda cut and go fish the Army Hole. We couldn't always get through the cuts in there. I understand they shut that down and rerouted the river. Small world aint it.
Regards, Paul

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:56 am
by Uncle D
I think that was Millers cut. Used to use it too. Back in those days dad had a fifth wheel and for about 100 buck you stayed at the old park at the point. We stayed till the first storms started rolling in. It is a small world.How does it go...6 degrees??

Later, Don

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 pm
by Uncle D
Well, it's been a couple weeks since a post about the boat but I was busy, with gluing the stringers. Seemed as if I was never going to finish with them. This weekend I had the flipping party. All it took was 3 of us. Rolled her out of the shop, slid her off the strong-back. I had used slats from 3/8" x 2" ply. to go across the top to hold shape for when I would take out the bulkheads. Slid her off and set her down on the ground. We all 3 lifted one side to roll her over and placed 2 saw horses to rest under so one side was up. We then installed 6, 2x4x8's across the strong-back. Rolled it over to the side still on the ground. So then 2 of us lifted while one rolled the strong-back under the edge of the boat to slid it under one side. Then we only had to slid her to the center and roll her back in the shop. I know some pics would have been better. But I we were all surprised how light she is even to this point. Next will be to build and install the tunnel. Pics to come soon.

Merry Christmas
Don

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:27 pm
by sitandfish
Uncle D wrote:Well, it's been a couple weeks since a post about the boat but I was busy, with gluing the stringers. Seemed as if I was never going to finish with them. This weekend I had the flipping party. All it took was 3 of us...

Merry Christmas
Don
Three guys. How many beers?

Congratulations on another big step. :wink:

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:10 pm
by Mad Dog
Way to go Don! Show us some pics! How'd you talk two guys off the ULM long enough to do some labor?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 am
by Uncle D
Mad Dog wrote: How'd you talk two guys off the ULM long enough to do some labor?
One's not a fisherman, he's a pilot. The other is my stepson, he didn't have a choice. :lol:
Uncle D wrote:How many beers?

I promised all the adult beverages they wanted. Man, those guys got strong in a hurry. I also said if they couldn't do it I'd get Julie, my wife to flip it. 8)

Pics soon. Nothing to look at right now anyway. Just an upside down hull.

Merry Christmas
Don

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:29 pm
by texasrds
Congrats on the flip Don. Definitely a different perspective now after looking at it the other way. I know mine does since I flipped her last week. Yours must look even bigger now that the big ol' wide bottom is looking up at you.

Just up the road, Randy.

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:16 pm
by tobolamr
Congrats! Yes, pictures are always nice. Can't wait to see how it looks with the tunnel in place! Keep up the great work! :D

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Uncle Don,

I'm not sure why it took me so long to stumble upon your build. But I did. Cool.

Can you educate me on the tunnel? How will it improve the hull? My assumption is it will get you up on plane faster. Is that correct?

Casey

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:02 pm
by Uncle D
Hi Casey, hope ya'll had a great holiday.
flyfish2743 wrote:Can you educate me on the tunnel? How will it improve the hull? My assumption is it will get you up on plane faster. Is that correct?
In the Laguna, we have many flats that are only inches deep so the tunnel in mine is to help run in very shallow water, I'm adding boxes (sponsons) to make up for the area being cut out and that will or should help with hole shot. I got the tunnel in during the break (3 days :x ) but may make an additional change like Timoub's did to his build. Ran out of supplies so I placed an order.I'll post a pic soon. Yours is looking real good.

Don

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:23 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Thanks Don,

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Casey

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:23 pm
by Uncle D
Well it's been about a month since the last post but I have been busy with the boat. Took 2 weeks to get all the changes and mods to the tunnel done. Still thinking about the vent. This is a modified from the XF20 tunnel but adding part of Timoub007's design. Hope for the best of both. Guess we'll see when the time comes. I'm still going to include the 3" radius. Tunnel removed about 1000 sq in but the sponson's added about 1000 sq in.

Added the sponsons.

The entire outside of the hull is sanded. Hit it with 60 grit but mostly to knock down the proud spots. I'll go over one more time with the RO sander.

She's back in the barn. Shop need's a deep cleaning. :oops:

Next on the list is the first fairing with silica/microballoon and epoxy slurry. Then strakes and reverse chine. After that Quick Fair.

Don

Re: PH18 w/tunnel

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:31 pm
by Prarie Dog
Looking good Uncle D, you might hold off a while on that deep cleaning until after the sanding. :D

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:33 pm
by sitandfish
Uncle D, you are an ambitious builder. I'm pulling for you. :wink:

Now...when you get her flipped over, do you have more surprises for us? Guess it wouldn't be a surprise if you told us. :D

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:50 pm
by Uncle D
Prarie Dog wrote:Looking good Uncle D, you might hold off a while on that deep cleaning until after the sanding. :D
Your right of course, but do need some pick-up. :lol:
sitandfish wrote:Uncle D, you are an ambitious builder. I'm pulling for you. :wink:

Now...when you get her flipped over, do you have more surprises for us? Guess it wouldn't be a surprise if you told us. :D
Lord I hope not. But you know what they say about a moth to flames. :D

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:11 pm
by sitandfish
Uncle D wrote:...you know what they say about a moth to flames. :D

The thought of moth balls and fire has me adjusting in my chair. :help:

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:49 am
by pole-position
looks great---can't wait to see the performance numbers w/ the addition of the tunnel and sponsons

I don't know if you're planning on adding trim tabs, but if so, you may want to look into installing them recessed in the sponsons ( sorry--unable to link pic )---- I know many comparable production models do this

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:32 pm
by Mad Dog
Keep up the good work Don. I just discovered your thread up in the Plans and Building section. I can see you've been through heck getting to this point. I hadn't realized you had to step back and reconfigure the transom. I'm no engineer but I think you'll be happier in the end with the beefier transom.

Looks like you've got a few days weather wise to spend fairing that bottom. Sure don't want to be out in the ULM the rest of the week.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 pm
by cottontop
Don, Your work is great. Been following along some. You won't be sorry you went back and built the transom as designed. How long is the boat with the sponsons? John

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm
by Uncle D
Mad Dog wrote: I hadn't realized you had to step back and reconfigure the transom.
Yea, went back to the design drawings. Added the sponsons after the proper transom got double tape and a layer of cloth inside and out. Even found a 1x12 mahogany motor clamp board. :D
If I had done it right the first time, the fairing would be done by now. :oops:

BTW Dog... how much graphite did you use in say a 12oz batch of epoxy?? :doh:

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:32 pm
by wegcagle
I did mine with anywhere between 35%-50% by volume. The key was mixing well and only adding a small portion of the graphite to the mix at a time. I was continually stirring with a small paint stirrer and low speeds on the drill. I used a common house sifter and sifted the graphite REALLY well, because it has a tendency to clump. Then I added the graphite to the epoxy in about 1/4 at a time, mixed well, then added another 1/4 until it was all in and smooth. The more you add, the tougher and thicker the mix becomes. Joel made a comment previously that he made the first 2-3 layers with more graphite per oz for toughness and the last layer was a little thinner so that it would go on smooth. I believe he said the final coat was 25%, but don't quote me on that exact number.

Will

Good luck. I really enjoyed this part. It was an instant rough boat to finished look transition 8)

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:44 pm
by Uncle D
Will, don't mean to sound like an idiot but I want to be sure on this. Say 12oz epoxy to 4oz graphite would be 25% :doh:

Don

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:38 pm
by Mad Dog
Uncle D wrote:If I had done it right the first time, the fairing would be done by now. :oops:
We all have our "if ands and buts" Don, I don't even want to get started on how much I did then re-did on the AS. :oops:
Uncle D wrote:BTW Dog... how much graphite did you use in say a 12oz batch of epoxy?? :doh:
Don, I wish I could say for 12 oz of epoxy you add "X" oz of graphite but the fact is I just added graphite until I got the consistency I was looking for. Its really no different than any other fillers. First coat is about as thick as the slurry of microfiber filler used to fill the weave, about like honey at room temp. I mixed it up and spread it with a very short napped roller. Let it tack up pretty good before the next coat but still wet-on-wet. Subsequent coats (2 more on my project) were thinner so I could roll and tip. Work small enough batches so you have time to mix it really well and still have time to work with it. Mix the resin and hardner quickly as normal then begin adding graphite a little at time until you get the consistency you at looking for. If you add to much at once you'll get tiny clumps that only show up once you start applying it to the hull. :x So, I think the 25% to 35% range is right but I can't vouch for it based on my mixing. Another tip is to stop working the surface before it tacks up. If you keep trying to perfect the finish you'll just make it worse. Let the epoxy smooth itself out. With the black finish you'll see every imperfection. But, remember its the bottom of the hull. :wink:

BTW I put three coats on the AS and used about half a bag of graphite. It goes a long way. I also solicited some help from SWMBO to come behind me tipping the last coat as I rolled it out. So the nice finish is all her doing. :P

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:00 pm
by pole-position
Quick question...did you fill the sponsons w/ foam, or are they hollow?

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:16 pm
by Uncle D
pole-position wrote:Quick question...did you fill the sponsons w/ foam, or are they hollow?
Hollow
I ran the outside set of stringers through the transom that are in the sponsons, so I'll have a sole in the sponson. Drain under the sole, batteries above the sole. That worked very well on my ol' Baymaster.

Don

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:12 pm
by JamesT
Will, don't mean to sound like an idiot but I want to be sure on this. Say 12oz epoxy to 4oz graphite would be 25%
That would be right, 6 teaspoons equals one ounce.

FWIW, here is what i did....i sifted the graphite into a different container than what it came in. i mixed the first two coats at 25% and the last one at around 40-50%..it was really thick. i didnt even tip mine, just rolled it. It came out really slick.

But what i think made the most difference for me was after i rolled it on i pushed it outside in the sunlight to help it flow better.

I think the temp that day was around 70, but it was sunny, and i think that heat helped it to "flow" somewhat :doh:

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:49 pm
by wegcagle
Just got home from the airport Don, but you're correct if you add 4 oz of graphite to 12oz epoxy that's 25% by volume. Try up to 6 oz graphite per 12oz batch for a really tough bottom.

Will

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:11 am
by Uncle D
Thanks, Will and James and everybody. Sat. and Sun. afternoon looks to be in the high 50's to 60's. Might get the first fairing done, strakes and reverse chine started. According to the big rat in PA., spring will be early. :roll:

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:25 pm
by Lon
"...but you're correct if you add 4 oz of graphite to 12oz epoxy that's 25% by volume."
Sorry, but I don't understand that - they are the same density?
For example, a 5 gal bucket of epoxy and graphite are equal weight?

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:41 pm
by Cracker Larry
"By volume" :wink:

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm
by TomW
Agree with Larry "by volume" and if you can add more graphite the better and harder the surface you'll get. 33% is usually very doable. Some get 50% but that may be a little grainy.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 pm
by wegcagle
Hey Lon,

Yes, my understanding is that you mix them 25%-50% "by volume" I have absolutely no clue what the mix should be "by weight." These are just numbers to shoot for. The truth is closer to what has been said before. You just keep adding until you're happy or it's starting to become a tiny bit grainy.

Will

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:27 am
by cape man
I didn't do it this way, but read earlier on a different thread where it is better to add the epoxy to the graphite versus adding the graphite to the epoxy. Get a better mix that way with less clumping.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:47 pm
by Uncle D
cape man wrote:I didn't do it this way, but read earlier on a different thread where it is better to add the epoxy to the graphite versus adding the graphite to the epoxy. Get a better mix that way with less clumping.
I'll defiantly give that a try. Didn't get to do anything this weekend. Bro-in-law from Maine and neighbors back porch roof got in the way. :roll: Going to try my hand at the first fairing with slurry. Got the tools from the home store so no more excuse to delay.

On a side note, I'll try my home made electric fairing board. I mentioned this earlier, but what I did was I bought an extra RO sander from Harbor Freight and a roll of 60 or 80 grit.(don't remember which) Then Velcro that I glued to the "handles". That made the hook and loop hold the RO's to the board. I did notice that the stick on glue for the Velcro will probably not hold because of the high rpm's, so I'll try to use a more permanent glue. Wish I could slow these RO's down but I'll see what happens when the sanding commences. :doh: :lol:

Don

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:51 pm
by Cracker Larry
I'm really interested to see the results of that sander, Don. That's a very neat idea 8)

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:57 pm
by Uncle D
Cracker Larry wrote:I'm really interested to see the results of that sander, Don. That's a very neat idea 8)
I'll post a pic. Total investment so far is 2 RO's at 20.00 ea and the roll of grit at about 8.00 and a can of spray adhesive at 6.00 for the grit to the board. Used 1/4 ply for board that I had on hand.

Don

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:53 am
by Uncle D
Here's the components for the homemade electric fairing board... :doh:

Here's the assembled homemade electric fairing board...

Haven't used it yet but for the trials.

Got to lay a fillet in on the rubrails...

Before fillinf weave with epoxy/woodflour mix...

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:39 am
by flyfishingmonk
Well.... how did it work?

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 am
by Uncle D
:oops: :oops: Haven't got there yet. two weeks ago SWMBO decided to refinish the kitchen cabinets. Boats outside, cabinet doors inside on sawhorses waiting for final coat, but the humidity got too high so moisture tries to bead when I spray. :x Gotta wait for the humidity to drop so I can get my shop back. :| I will post a report as soon as possible. :? ...with pics. Don

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:56 am
by flyfishingmonk
Excellet. I hope cabinets turn out well.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:34 pm
by Uncle D
I got the cabinets done and she was happy. Did too good of a job cause now she has me pulling the paneling off the den walls to expose the sheet-rock. Have to refinish upper 2/3's of the sheet-rock and lower 1/3 to be wainscot.

Anyways, got to try the homemade electric fairing board. The two RO sanders turn too many RPM's in combination on the board so it's hard to control and then I think the oscillations between the two RO's were fighting each other at times. The result was it took a circus strong man to operate it. But I have one more idea to try. :idea: I have one Orbital sander. I'll pick up another, glue on Velcro and give that a try. At least with this set up I can try different positions (12-3-6-9 o'clock) with each sander to see if I'll have better control. Only reason I'm persisting is my rotate-cuff (sp??) in both shoulders is giving me a hard time. Really though, I'm probably spinning my wheel unless I could back off the RPM's. :?: (in-line re-stats) :?: I don't think I spelled that correctly.

Got an 8' x 1.5 x 1.5 aluminum angle mold at the box store to build strakes. On my last supply order I forgot bond-breaker. I used packing tape inside the angle and made the epoxy mix. Didn't want to separate very well even partially cure. I realized I had forgot to add chopped fibers but It did work well for a reverse chine. It was still green and flexible enough that I cut it in half and glued each half at the bow on each chine. So I have 4 ft of reverse chine on each side of the boat. By the time I place an order I could fight the packing tape and have them done. I may have a local source. Should be time to start fairing if I haven't forgotten anything else.
Don

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:09 pm
by stickystuff
If you can find an old sewing machine pedal, they have a rheostat in them. Might work for slowing down. don't know if it will hold up with two palm sanders. Might pull to many amps and smoke the rheostats.???? :doh:

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:18 am
by flyfishingmonk
I have seen them in the woodworking industry that seem pretty heavy duty. You may look there. I believe my dad has one on his router.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 am
by TomW
I believe this is what Casey is refering to. It is big enough to handle both of your sanders. http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PART ... 4378081--1

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm
by Uncle D
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It may come down to that.

Got the bow chine cleaned after installation.
Here's before:

and here's after:
Pics aren't all that great even after photoshop. Not enough contrast in the areas where I sanded

I was trying to get an idea what the lines would look like right side up. I was able to borrow mold release for a buddy. Next is the strakes. Guess I can't put it off any longer, time to use the phenolic microballs for the first fairing.
Don

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 am
by flyfishingmonk
TomW wrote:I believe this is what Casey is refering to. It is big enough to handle both of your sanders. http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PART ... 4378081--1
Yeah - he has something almost identical to that and it handles the 2hp router motor very well. It may be worth a try.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 am
by Uncle D
stickystuff wrote:If you can find an old sewing machine pedal, they have a rheostat in them. Might work for slowing down. don't know if it will hold up with two palm sanders. Might pull to many amps and smoke the rheostats.???? :doh:
I'm on the hunt for one, Ken. Thanks for the idea!! :D

Casey, if that don't work I'll go to the link Tom sent. That was under 50 bucks. Might find something local. We have a couple of tool suppliers and a WW Granger. Haven't really checked yet.

Well got a little fairing applied. I think I need to be a little more liberal with it. Guess I'm getting tired of sanding. :?

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:55 am
by Uncle D
Rheostat...duh. I went to the home store and got a standard dimmer switch, double elec. box and a wall plug. Worked like a champ. Well, that part anyway. I think 2 orbital's, not RO's would work best. I did turn the rheostat down by about half and went over half the hull in about 30 min. I want to try one more thing. Mount a single orbital sander to the board, in the center. I think that would be the best solution. We'll see. :doh:

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:06 pm
by sds
Yeah. I think one sander is the way to go.

The issue with two would be getting the motion in sync. If the sanders are in sync, the board moves. If they are opposed, the board stays perfectly still and your arms move. Anywhere in between you get more / less efficiency.

One sander and some kind of flexible/loose handle (maybe a length of garden hose?) to keep the board under some control.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 pm
by Uncle D
SDS...one sander was the way to go. This worked really well for those that want a poor man's electric fairing board. I bought a Palm Orbital Sander from Harbor Freight. I think it was about 20-30 bucks.

Next took the padded base off...4screws

I made a fairing board as others have done from 1/4 in. scrap. Then using the base I removed as a template, I made the spacer out of 1/2 in. ply. I replaced the screws with longer ones and countersunk the screw heads in the fairing board. The 60 grit roll paper is glued on with a Loctite spray glue.

Then screwed together.

Here's a couple of pics after using this contraption

Image.

That's it. D.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:26 pm
by Uncle D
Also if you want speed control here is the rheostat set-up from the home store. What I like is the push off-on switch. Set it on the floor and tap it on or off with your foot.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:34 pm
by stickystuff
Now my friend that is some good thinking. a :wink: :D real nice display of a%$#O engineering.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:37 am
by topwater
Let me see if i got this straight, sander mounted in the middle and you hold on to what looks like two
foam blocks at each end so that the board follows curve of the hull . What kind of foam are you useing :?:
Forgive the next stupid question , but if you hold on to the foam blocks at the ends of the board wouldnt
the sander just vibrate in place and the board not move :?: I am in the middle of sanding my hull now
and this looks like a real good idea , just trying to understand how it all works so i can build one.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:44 am
by Uncle D
topwater wrote:What kind of foam are you useing
Those are just blocks, not foam although something padded would be nicer to your hands. Any ideas would be great.
topwater wrote:if you hold on to the foam blocks at the ends of the board wouldn't
the sander just vibrate in place and the board not move
That is my first trial with this configuration but the board moves/sands fine.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:10 am
by topwater
What about useing a big wooden dowel and putting a pool noodle around it :idea:
I have to pick up a small sander for places my 6" ro will not fit , i think i'll try this.
I think i'll put the sander at one end where the handle would go, that way i'll have
alittle more control and better hold when i do vertical surfaces. I gotta think about
this some more.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:36 am
by Uncle D
TW, Let me know how that works for ya. I tried it on one end, what you thought was foam on the handles is velcro where I could attach one or both RO's.(hook and loop type) I don't really know if that way worked better or not, just one sander I mean. Don

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 am
by Uncle D
Took pics but left the camera at home....again.
Finished my chines, but it took a lot of epoxy (and I mean a lot) to add the reverse to it. With the high degree of deadrise toward the bow, I had to add a half inch (1 1/2) to the forward chine to keep the reverse angle about the same back to the stern, which I cut down to about one inch. Looks nice and symmetrical. I have one strake built. To reduce the amount of epoxy used for my 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle form, I laid in a bed of blended epoxy then used a length of wood molding and pressed it into the middle of the epoxy, to use as a filler, then finished covering the molding, encapsulating the wood, filling the mold. It came out very nice with the filler wood completely surrounded in epoxy.
Next to-do, Glue in the strakes, final fairing of the hull and paint with the graphite/epoxy mix. :D

Don

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 pm
by flyfishingmonk
I look forward to seeing the pics of the reverse chine. To save on the funds I am laminating pieces of ripped marine ply to build up the reverse chine. It's working, it just takes a lot of time. I like how it is turning out.

Am I correct in remembering you are eliminating the skeg and relying on the stakes? Just curious.

Sincerely,

Casey

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:22 pm
by Uncle D
flyfish2743 wrote:Am I correct in remembering you are eliminating the skeg and relying on the stakes?
That's right, no skeg. I want to run very shallow so I'll depend on the graphite/epoxy mix for protection.
I bought 1.5 x 1.5 aluminum angle and made the strakes. Used corner molding in the center of the mold to save epoxy and filler. That worked well.

I have the reverse chines finished, bottom faired except for a final layer of Quick Fair. Took a while to fair the back end bottom because of the added sponsons and tunnel but it's good. I started fairing the the sides but had to take a break to move the stepdaughter. I'm still debating the paint.
Don

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:12 pm
by flyfishingmonk
After the fiberglass I plan to flip it and finish out the inside and deck before flipping it on its top one last time to finish the hull. Maybe by that time you will be on the water and you can let us know if skipping out on the skeg was a good plan or not, since the skeg will prob be one of the last things I do.

When you say debating the paint, are you referring to which product to use? You may want to check with Cracker Larry. I know he had some problems with the mfg he used and has some good input on which paint to choose.

Casey

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 am
by Uncle D
Casey, guess I'm having a stupid moment...Tunnel on hull = no skeg... :oops: well I guess I could have a short one back to the tunnel. I read your thread and understand your concern with draft while drifting. I will run and draft very shallow. Now that I can spell "boatbuilder" I are one...so if I gouge the bottom too bad on oyster shells I'll fix her back up. Graphite/epoxy bottom shouldn't be too bad patch if the need arises. You might go to the repair section of the forum and check out the strakes Cap'n Ken aka Stickystuff added to a ph-15. That boat had a tunnel and no skeg. I couldn't tell by the pics if it had a reverse chine or not but the report said after adding reverse strakes it turned really well. Ken could probably give an update. But as to the paint, I really like teal color and sterling color chart doesn't have it but a company called Zolatone does. I first saw their 20 series paint on an xf-20 in the builders power boat section titled AK XF-20, i think. Anyway I went to their web site and found a topcoat paint that I like. It's just that I'd have to spray it on. Not sure how good of a job I'd do. That's it, Don

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:43 pm
by flyfishingmonk
We were both having a stupid moment. I forgot it was a tunnel too, even with the name PH18 w/tunnel staring me in the face.

Larry suggested having it painted professionally, which seemed like a good idea too.

I'll ask Ken what he thinks.

Thanks,

Casey

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:53 am
by TomW
I goofed to you guys! Don with the tunnel would of course not want the Skeg and would want the strakes out as far as they were as they were effective, probably 20". Don't know where he put them. The tunnel needs free flowing water.

Casey if you go without the Skeg you want steering strakes and close to the centerline. Keep them just above the keel and run them as far forward as you can. 6-12" from the keel will work fine. This along with your reverse chines will give you good steering control.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:48 am
by stickystuff
Some people just don't get it. Not going to get in a pissing match here. Let me try and explain something here. Flat bottom boats will slide from Fl. to alaska. A strake will help control the slideing. Center strakes keep the boat on an equal keel. I installed center strake or keel on PH 15 Tunnel Hull to keep straight direction when useing a push pole. Keel was only 1" x3/4" Stopped keel a foot forward of tunnel entrance. Keel was tapered back to 0.It was not tall enough to stop or slow down side slippage when turning. Do to a near but not fatal accident my customer requested adding some strakes to help curb the slideing. I calculated in my mind what would work and not interfear the water flow to tunnel. I added reverse strakes keeping a very sharp entry angle on the forward portion of strakes. After completion took it for a test ride and had absolutely no problems with water flow.reverse strakes allow hull to dig in to the water acting as a brake so to speak and keep it from slideing so much. Seems to me some people have absolutely no clue as to how a tunnel performs and the basics of makeing one work. I have contacted over the years one of the best tunnel experts on the raceing circuits. One of my best friends raced tunnel hulls all over the world and has a wealth of information . So ,I may not be the sharpest marble around but do have some I think, pretty good common sense as to how things work. It ain't rocket science.So before someone goes and fills peoples head on something I think he knows nothing about should just clam up and let nature take its course. 8O Hell no!

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:43 am
by TomW
Good points Ken, you stick to the tunnels, and I'll stick to the plain hulls. Are you still a dealer for PowerTech have a couple guys coming up that I need to prop there boats and if you get a % I'll go through you if there numbers indicate a PT is right for there boats.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 am
by Uncle D
You might go to the repair section of the forum and check out the strakes Cap'n Ken aka Stickystuff added to a ph-15. That boat had a tunnel and no skeg. I couldn't tell by the pics if it had a reverse chine or not but the report said after adding reverse strakes it turned really well. Ken could probably give an update
No pissin' contest here Cap'n Ken. Casey's inquiring about skeg and strakes along with shallow draft. I happen to see your post on adding strakes to a design we're building, especially me with a tunnel, and was just passing along good information. I don't pretend to know about tunnels and have never said so. Just the opposite actually because I have only gotten suggestions from Tim where I went to his gallery to get ideas from his design. Not trying to step on your toes and will still appreciate your advice.

Don

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:17 pm
by stickystuff
I don't deal with people I don't know especially from people out of town. :doh:

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:28 pm
by flyfishingmonk
I'm just looking for ideas and enjoy hearing the different opinions. As for the skeg. I wasn't wanting to totally eliminate it, just curious about shortening it a bit, as in the the distance it protrudes down into the water, and wondering if the sharp, relatively deep reverse chine, since it runs the length of the hull, would make up the difference.

I very much see the value in the words from those who have built the specific boat I am building. I greatly appreciate their time dedicated on the forum covering all the different topics, even after they have completed their hull and moved on with their fishing.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:55 pm
by stickystuff
OK Got the picture. The skeg can be run from 1 ft. in front of tunnel to bow. Reverse strakes> Kind of hard to explain. First, is your hull still upside down?If so run a string line from center of bow all the way back to the stern. If tunnel is in place tack a stick,1x2 or whatever across the stern end of the tunnel. The strakes , first two need to be around 54" longThese are the two center strakes or inside strakes. Wherever the tunnel starts is the length of the first strakes. The two outside ones are 46". Now remember you have a left and a right.
If you can find the post and pictures of the Ph 15 , you will see the strakes before installation.I am guessing on the lengths for the Xf20.What I did was layout the first strake from the center line 16" to each side of center line. I used a chalk line and snapped a line on each side. Now from that line measure over 12" and snap another line. Now you have 4 chalk lines. Ver important that they are from center of tunnel.Next from the inside strake from the leading edge at the beginning of the tunnel make a 45 degree angle rearwards to stern. Make a mark on this angle where it intersects with the 12" strake. These are the starting points of your strakes.Confused yet? Now we are going to use the reverse strake. This means that the highest point of your strake is on the inside of your hull bottom.R emember the strakes are approx. 2-3/4 " wide +- You want them facing the tunnel. reason beingis when you make a sharp turn the hull will automatically lean to the turning side and you want these inside strakes grab the water which will eliminate most of the sliding.Thus two left and two right strakes. Now on your strakes from the front of each strake where it will be entering the water when you run you will want a very sharp entry point. I usually go from O on the hhigh side back anywhere from 6 to 8 ". Make a bevel cut at this angle . You need to bevel it so when you glass it it will be a smooth transition and not humped over it. You want to add these strakes after your hull bottom is glassed in.
Does not need to be faired yet. I used gel Magic to epoxy down.You can use some temporary drywall screws to hold them in place till epoxy sets up. Next 6" biax tape and epoxy them down. I suggest two layers for strength and a little bullet proofing. Fair them and rest of hull out and paint. Now when its all said and done make sure your trailer bunks don't sit on top of the strakes. adjust the bunks so they clear. Thats all their is to it. Easy HUH?

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:01 pm
by stickystuff
forgot to mention. strakes do not have to be made of foam. I just happened to have access to some. This foam is a high density foam not the blue or white cooler foam. You can use clear fir or clear white pine. 1X3. Set your table saw at an angle that will rip it down edge wise from 3/4" to zero. remember it is on edge not on the flat. :doh:

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:09 pm
by Cracker Larry
Here, let me help you out Ken http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25674

The bad news is that some of your first pictures were in a gallery that I deleted :oops: The good news is that I had created a gallery just for your stuff that I didn't delete, so most of them are here :D

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:44 pm
by stickystuff
Thanks Larry.Unfortunately on my end they all came out with a red X in a box.???

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:28 pm
by Cracker Larry
It works when I click on the link :doh: The first few pics are blank but the rest are there.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:36 am
by Uncle D
Ken, one more question. I have a reverse chine that runs the length of the bow to stern. I hope this will help in turns too.

Now I had already built 1 1/2"x1 1/2" strakes before this discussion so, could I use those or should I build one like the ones you fabricated. Most of my fishin' territory is in shallow bay systems not requiring a lot of hard maneuvers.

Thanks, Don

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:22 pm
by stickystuff
In your case what you have should be OK. My design is to dig in more on sharp turns. My customer fished a lot of narrow winding channels in shallow areas. Like I said before he almost ha an unfortunate accident do to some clown anchored in the channel on a sharp channel. The channels are usually covered with grass and gives blind spots.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:18 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Ken,

The upside seems evident with the performance from the pics. Is there any downside to having them, other than the extra work?

Casey

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:52 pm
by Uncle D
Been awhile posting but not much has been done that is picture worthy but here's the latest progress on the boat build.
First it was painful to take the pics due to a run-in with a yellow jackets nest.
Wanted the ladder to get an "aerial view"
Finished the reverse chine along the hull edge. Alittle hard to see due to the light but there about 1 1/2 in. wide. Can't remember the depth but I think it was a little over 1in. deep.
and strakes and tunnel is finished along with the boxes
ready for final fairing
view of the bow
As everyone knows it's been hot and for me the going has been slow.
Hope to finish the bottom when we get a little break from the heat. I'd like to get the epoxy/graphite on soon so I can flip her over and finish the inside. Don

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:58 pm
by Mad Dog
Sorry about the wasps. Hate them little beggers. The boat looks great! All those corpusfishing guys are going to hitting you up for rides. Charge them extra...

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:19 pm
by chopperman
Your fairing work is looking good :wink: You're getting very close to a flipping party :lol: The graphite shoundn't take you too long. Don't get too frustrated with the finish of the graphite as it is on the bottom of the boat.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:53 pm
by Uncle D
WOW, 2 months since the last post but nothing worth posting about. Never got much of a break from the heat so mostly I kept fairing a little here, a little there, sand and do it again. :oops: Fairings got to be about the most frustrating part of building. Especially if you stink at it.

Finally got the bottom on with a lot of great advice. Thanks again guys.

A few bugs but not too bad. It will add character. Also in the last pic you can see the that the finish wasn't super smooth. Took Chopperman's advice and just let it go.

Next, the flip!! Then it's time to employ all the great ideas from everyone else's build to mine. :idea: :idea:

Don

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm
by chopperman
You're graphite looks fine :wink: Looks like your ready to flip :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm
by Mad Dog
Looks great Don. None of the guys in the Bluff are going to bend down far enough to check the bottom coat anyway. They'll be to busy hitting you up for a ride. :D

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:57 pm
by wegcagle
Nice work 8) Nothing better than the days you put graphite on the bottom and primer on the fairing :D

Will

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 pm
by nc_robbie
Don its looking good and a few bugs improve the character of your boat and after on and off the trailer a few times you will never notice where they were…Rob :D

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:55 am
by Uncle D
Mad Dog wrote: None of the guys in the Bluff are going to bend down far enough to check the bottom coat anyway
That's funny.

The Dog Man is referring to my beloved neighbors to the east. Most have big beer belly's and can't bend over that far.

Gonna shoot for Sun. afternoon flip. xx (got my fingers crossed)

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:33 pm
by Mad Dog
Well the "Welcome to Flour Bluff" sign does say " A small Drinking Village with a Fishing Problem" :D :P Generally good folk though.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:27 pm
by Uncle D
Mad Dog wrote: Generally good folk though.

You gotta make one of Stan's "fish fry's". :!:

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:15 pm
by Mad Dog
Uncle D wrote:
Mad Dog wrote: Generally good folk though.

You gotta make one of Stan's "fish fry's". :!:
Yes Sir! The best party in town (so I've heard). :D

Good luck with the flip. I've come down with a head cold so I'm not leaving town this weekend. :(

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:41 am
by Uncle D
Mad Dog wrote: I've come down with a head cold
Get to feeling better. Sun after church, got our youth to come over to help. Can you believe it, one of the hottest day of the year. 103. Anyway all it cost was hamburgers. :D Forgot what the inside looked liked. 8O Julie took a few pics. Be up soon.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:03 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Youth groups work cheap. I remember in our youth group food would get us to just about any volunteer job site.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:16 pm
by Uncle D
No pics but we picked it up and set it on saw horses so I could reconfigure the cradle.

Getting the carpet down.

carpets all down.

ready to set one side on the ground

on the ground ready for flip

here we go

all set

back in the shop :D

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:24 pm
by Mad Dog
Well... you made that look easy. :D

All I can add is that you need at least one more grill. Probably something that requires a license plate. :P

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:40 pm
by Prarie Dog
Don
That crowd looks like they could knock back some brew!! How many six packs did that set you back :?:

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:11 pm
by Uncle D
Prarie Dog wrote: How many six packs did that set you back :?:
NONE
Should have mentioned that those guys are the youth group from church. Did have to cook a lot of hamburgers. 8O
Some fine young (and stout) men and ladies. Had to have cheerleaders :wink:

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:23 pm
by tobolamr
Nice job! That looks like one of the most laid-back flips you could have ever hoped for!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:35 pm
by MarkOrge
That bottom looks sweet !! Hope you don't take that the wrong way... :)

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:47 pm
by peter-curacao
MarkOrge wrote:That bottom looks sweet !! Hope you don't take that the wrong way... :)
It indeed does look sweat almost like a stealth bomber :D congrats on the flip

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:06 am
by chopperman
Congrats on reaching this milestone 8) It's very rewarding to see the hull flipped :wink:

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:26 am
by cottontop
Man that bottom sure is "shiny"! 8) Great work. I see a flipping party soon. John

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:57 pm
by Uncle D
Thanks guys, Been getting some work done. Ran out of supplies but have more on the way.
So does most everyone have to use twice as much epoxy as comes with the Kit?? J/K, but I have used more than the average bear. Tunnel and Boxes and such do use a bit more. Gotta get some pics taken and posted.

cottontop wrote:I see a flipping party soon
Hope I don't have to do any more flippin' John. :wink: Boat is Right-side-up now.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:22 pm
by peter-curacao
Uncle D wrote:So does most everyone have to use twice as much epoxy as comes with the Kit??
Twice would be in my case 70 gallon so no not twice as much, but still a lot more as in the kit :wink:

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:03 pm
by flyfishingmonk
I'll surpass the kit. The reverse chine and extra glass really eat it up. I had a couple batches kick off and one ran out of wood before I ran out of epoxy. By the time I prepped another section of wood it was to thick. I'll be ordering more.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:30 pm
by Uncle D
flyfishingmonk wrote:The reverse chine and extra glass really eat it up.

You ain't just whistling Dixie. I think I used a Gallon on the reverse chine and strakes. But then mine are all glass.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:40 am
by nc_robbie
Don I just took a few minutes and went through your build and I have to say I love the tunnel….man that thing is going to be hot . What are you planning to power her with? Keep up the good work and you will be in the water by spring!!! Rob

You have me thinking about my next build….a duck boat with a tunnel or more of a drift boat….so many boats to build so little time…. :doh:

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:46 am
by Uncle D
I have been busy on "her" since the last post. I wanted to beef-up the transom so I added an extra 1/2 in. Got the aft side of "E" bulkhead tabbed in. Using the 2x4 as a straight-edge and support.
No motor well on this one but I will add to the inside stringers. Just plan on "boxing from transom to "E" bulkhead and up to deck height.
I'm thinking on sealing the boxes/sponsons, not using them for storage or anything.

Question If they are airtight, is it necessary to add flotation foam?? I wasn't even planning on drains. Bad idea?? :doh:

"D" bulkhead is done and so is "A".

nc_robbie wrote:I have to say I love the tunnel

That tunnel a spin-off of a guy here on the forum named Tim who built a GF-16 for duck hunting. (if I'm not mistaken) I believe Prairie Dog and T are doing the same on a GF-12.
nc_robbie wrote:What are you planning to power her with?

I have an 88' Rude 140 hp. Same size and weight as the 115. I very rarely run wide oped except for hole shots. Besides I have 2 spare powerheads and 2 spare lower units for this motor. I would love to have a 115 yammy or e-tec but these "old motors" I already have.

Don

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:00 pm
by Mad Dog
Looking good Don. Very clean work. :D

If it were my decision I would fill those sponsons with foam. Yes "if" they are water tight then the bouyance is the same. "If" you punchure the compartment then you have a dead weight. At a minimum I would put a round, screw in inspection port like I did on the engine bracket on my rebuild. Sometimes you just want to be sure the compartment in dry.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:14 pm
by nc_robbie
Don I agree with you about the older 2stroke outboards good power and easy to work on I was planning on going that way but I found a new zuke for a steal that I could not pass up. I am looking forward to hearing how that 140 is going to push your ph she is going to need wings. I have been working a bit on my ph too so maybe this spring we can compare stories….I hate winter we have already seen a few flakes of the 4 letter word…..yuck me and the wife need to move south someday….Rob :D
My .02c I would make sure you can drain any section seems like no matter how well you waterproof something water always finds a way in….and I would add the foam to its easy to use and does not weigh much…. :D

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 am
by Uncle D
Thanks guys, I'll skip the foam but go with a drain on each side. That way I can check to see if I get moisture and if I do I can cut in an inspection port.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:38 pm
by nc_robbie
Don do you have any recent updates?

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:11 pm
by Uncle D
nc_robbie wrote:Don do you have any recent updates?
Not really Rob. I'm deciding on how wide to build the gunnel. I don't want 12In. but I think 6 in will work for me. I'm laying out the center cockpit bulkhead, "C" so I can get a feel for how it's going to look. Also trying to mock-up the seat and center console and locate the fuel tank under the CC.

Last 2 weekend have had me working on an engine for an uncle's aluminum flat bottom. Picked up an 88 SPL. Overhauled the carbs, waterpump, tilt-trim motor, control cables, steering cable and wiring. Transom is too low for this motor so I have a thread going in the repairs forum to get an idea on fixing it.

Don

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:13 pm
by BassMunn
Don I haven't seen your thread for a while, so sorry for the late comments, but I just have to say that the underneath of your hull looks really impressive, good job. 8)

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:46 pm
by Uncle D
BassMunn wrote:Don I haven't seen your thread for a while, so sorry for the late comments, but I just have to say that the underneath of your hull looks really impressive, good job. 8)
No worries and thanks for the compliment. I also just brought my "Uncle D" gallery up to date. Hope to get back to my own build real soon.

Don

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:43 pm
by nc_robbie
Don I was wondering if you have done any recent updates on your ph18….winter is over and the season is right around the corner….Rob :D

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 pm
by Uncle D
nc_robbie wrote:Don I was wondering if you have done any recent updates on your ph18….winter is over and the season is right around the corner….Rob :D
WOW, been awhile. Got my uncle's transom/motor finished. Also poured a concrete slope in front of my overhead door to the shop. Before was a steep rise and with the boat getting heavier, it was getting hard to lift it over. I moved the boat outside so my neighbor could paint his boat inside. Mine was uncovered with only the front casting deck sitting in place when we had a big rain. Well all I can say is water won't leak out. :lol:
Really gotta get pics but I have all the sub-floors, sole and front and rear casting decks cut and fit. Every piece of wood on this boat is covered with cloth. I went with a bench seat and built a pedestal to raise it 6 in. so I could sit comfortably. Still need to glass and glue it down if I don't make a change. I have the center console pieces cut and fit and ready to be glassed. I have A fuel tank that will go in the console so I'll need to box it in once I get the console glued. Once I get that done I'll lay in the chase tubes, foam, cleats, etc... :doh:

Don

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 pm
by tobolamr
Don, pics would be great! I've been wondering how you've been progressing... And I'm really interested to see pics of your build in the water, to see how it all works out in the end. :D

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:16 pm
by Uncle D
Hope to get back to it today. This past week it was the transfer case in my Tahoe. Total rebuild. :x I picked up some light cloth from a buddy so I can cover all the panels for the console. Don

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 pm
by nc_robbie
Don it sounds like you have been busy, maybe you should take a vacation and do some boat building!!! Good luck keep us up to date, sounds like its going well for you. Rob :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:27 pm
by Uncle D
Small update. Have the console together except for the "box" inside where the fuel tank is to be housed. I'll try to get it sanded and a first fairing on it this weekend. For cleats, I'm using 1x2 in. stakes from the box store. Applied a coat of epoxy on them so I hope to start gluing cleats soon. Ordered what I hope will be the last of epoxy for this build. Maybe the order desk can tell me the total amount I've ordered but I'm guessing twice the amount that the plans call for. :oops: I plan on doing better on the next.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:14 am
by Uncle D
Still chugging away since last report. I have ordered hatches. I need them to locate the seat then to locate center console and fuel tank so I can run chase tubes... :? At the moment I'm installing cleats.

Inside this area will be for storage. A divider will be installed for 2 compartments with deck hatches.

The bow compartment will be the anchor locker, a single hatch and I'll reenforce under the casting deck area for a trolling motor.

Everything is sitting silly at the moment in the boat but when the hatches get here I'll be able to really get going.

My wife has purchased a new "mode of transportation" since gas is so high and wants me to get the boat done so she can park in the shop.

Don

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:31 pm
by wegcagle
Dang. She kind of looks like a porcupine in that last picture. :lol: nice work and great progress 8)

Will

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:09 pm
by chopperman
Looks great :!: A lot of clamping going on :lol:

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:45 am
by Uncle D
Just got a call from OEM Parts LLC who are the people that someone on this site, bought gauges from. Super nice guy and great prices. 88 bucks for speedo/voltmeter, waterpressure and fuel gauges, plus a couple of other small stuff. Normally I wouldn't bother with a speedo but I do like having the volt meter. Theses were the Teleflex Custom Stratos series.

Here's the link again. https://www.oempartsllc.com/login.aspx

Don

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:38 pm
by Boater45
I bought a complete set of Lido gauges!! Great prices and a flat shipping rate.
I just ordered some switches, about $120 retail for $43.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:02 pm
by Uncle D
Got my hatches in. I went with production. I'm not as skilled as some. I bought T-H Hatches, Design series in grey. I'll do grey Kiwi on sole and decks. Bought from Bass Pro.

Says" structually engineered to "Walk On" :roll: "
We'll see. I've broke a few others in my time. I payed a little more for these so hopefully I won't need to go on a diet. :oops:
Also says that they have 180` opening, not quite more like 160` (is there a degree symbol o this keyboard? :doh: )

Don

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:32 pm
by peter-curacao
Uncle D wrote: (is there a degree symbol o this keyboard? :doh: )

Don
Alt + 0176 makes °

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:36 pm
by Cracker Larry
Alt + 0176 makes °
Jeez, how do you know that stuff :doh: I'd have to write it on a sticky note and paste it on the screen to remember it :lol:

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 pm
by Cracker Larry
I've got 4 of the TH hatches on my boat and everybody walks all over them. Also have some Tempress with no troubles, but I like the TH better. I've put them in a few rebuilds lately also.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 pm
by peter-curacao
Cracker Larry wrote:
Alt + 0176 makes °
Jeez, how do you know that stuff :doh: I'd have to write it on a sticky note and paste it on the screen to remember it :lol:
Honestly I had too look this one up, Alt + 0231 I do know out of my head :wink:

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:03 pm
by Uncle D
Thanks Peter, already got my sticky-note. :wink: Good to know about the hatches Larry. :D

I still wonder why my boat always list heavily on the side I'm standing on? :doh: :lol:

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:07 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Uncle D wrote:I still wonder why my boat always list heavily on the side I'm standing on? :doh: :lol:
It's the moon's gravitation. :wink:

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:45 pm
by Prarie Dog
FYI. UncleD is about 1.5 times Bradley's size. He's a very large fellow.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:58 pm
by Cracker Larry
Dang, he's as big as Peter :!:

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:09 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Prarie Dog wrote:FYI. UncleD is about 1.5 times Bradley's size. He's a very large fellow.
and also a super nice guy :) Your boat is looking great Don, good to see you back at it. I think those hatches will hold up for a good long time...

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:02 pm
by Uncle D
Thanks Richard. Would have liked to see you guys (and gals) again in the Keys. Hopefully next time.

Prarie Dog wrote:FYI. UncleD is about 1.5 times Bradley's size. He's a very large fellow.
Corn feed country boy. :lol: Plus I like malted barley and hopps. :roll:

Laid out the live well hatch and then cut 2 inches off the seat mount so it would all fit. Now I can locate the CC and fuel tank to run chase tubes. Got a few more cleats in the cockpit. Gettin' there. :D

Don

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:00 pm
by Uncle D
Just about have all the cleats in place for the soles. The seat mount had the last bit of glass laid. Again every bit of wood (except cleats) have a layer of glass. Gonna be interesting to see how much this puppy weighs. :doh: With a long weekend coming up, I hope to have the chase tubes in and some foam poured. I have 2 foam kits. 2 gal of A , 2 gal of B

Question: I want to be sure on chase tube sizes so here is what I had in mind.

One tube to the bow for lights..console to bow.
I will have a trolling motor and prefer the batteries forward. Should I use a separate tube or add an elbow to the bow tube for the lights.
What's a good size for one or both.

One tube console to stern for control cables.

One tube for fuel line only. Tank will be in sole under console and boxed.

One tube for electrical console to stern.

I'm thinking of not pouring foam in the center of the hull between the inside stringers. Do I or should I add mouse holes, I forgot what they are called :doh: , at the bottom center of the bulkheads for draining to the stern?? Drains will have to go around the tunnel.

Playing around but here is a visual:

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:20 pm
by Cracker Larry
Don, I would put the 3 tubes for the control cables, electrical and fuel line all on the starboard side. That way they can all exit the transom from the same hole and take the same path to the engine. You don't want to have cables coming to the engine from both sides, it would be too cluttered. I used 1 1/2" pipe for controls and electrical and it was tight. but workable. I used 1" for the fuel line and it was real tight and barely workable. Sure hope I never have to change it. I'd use 1 1/4 for the fuel line next time.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:19 am
by Uncle D
Cracker Larry wrote:I would put the 3 tubes for the control cables, electrical and fuel line all on the starboard side.
Yea, last nite I was sitting in the boat, thinking about that. Will do all on starboard side.

My tank is going under the CC. Is it best to build a box to completely seal it. I also need to secure it. I think it was you CL that foamed the corners to hold it in place. Gonna be a tight install. It is a used tank that is already expanded. Don

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:27 pm
by SmokyMountain
Don,

I would suggest installing an additional chase on the starboard side for wiring/ steering / motor harness/ etc... Having just run a lot of "stuff" through, I couldn't have done it without 2 on the starboard side and another on the port. I used 2" electrical conduit with the sweeping elbows. The sweeping elbow make a big difference.... just my two cents. I believe I have a schematic on my build thread I posted some time back.. very similar to yours. Tried to post it here, but the photo gallery wouldn't let me in.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 pm
by Uncle D
Thanks Andy, will do.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:08 pm
by Prarie Dog
Uncle D, when we built the GF18 we used that conduit with the sweep ends. The only drawback I see to the stuff is it's very heavy, on T's little boat I've been trying to keep the weight as low as possible, what we found is some pvc waterline that's 2.5" commonly used by the sprinkler system guys. The wall thickness is very thin but thicker than that sewer line commonly available at the box stores. The cool thing is you can put a lot more stuff in a 2.5" run than you can put in a 2". The other day I had the steering cable, control cables and wiring harness through it with no problem, room left over for a large Bull Snake!! I do believe in running the fuel line in it's own chase, no wiring at all.

You should be able to buy that pipe at a plumbing supply house.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:26 pm
by Uncle D
Thanks Paul, there is one around the corner.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:56 pm
by MarkOrge
Uncle D, just a thought on fuel under the console - this will affect your center of gravity fore and aft so you may want to consider doing a spreadsheet to see what you could do to offset moving upwards of 200 pounds 4 or 5 feet back. If you want I am happy to shre the one I did to Tangles & Snags - but beware it is messy....

Basically I took placement of anything that was going to change from design to my boat and ensure I came out the same by moving htings around. For example I am running a 10" jack plate and a heavier motor too, so I moved trolling motor batteries forward and also what helped is with teh bass boat cockpit my seating is a couple feet forward too.

Hope this helps and doesn't add complexity or worries to your project....

Mark

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:40 pm
by Uncle D
I've done some heavy duty ordering this week. Bob's 6"jack plate with the built in pump on the plate. LED Nav. lights, battery switch, buss bar w/fusses and breaker panel all BlueSea and Atwood. And to round it all off, Sea Star hyd. steering. This cost extra for my older Evinrude. Couldn't get a kit, had to order each part separately.

On the boat,All the chase tubes are in plus an extra tube stern to CC to bow. Most holes for the tubes are located and cut into soles. Don't think it will make the Texas meet even if I get the boat finished. The motor has to be gone through and painted. Not overhauled,( I hope) just carbs, water pump and go over ignition system and such.
Don

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:01 pm
by Mad Dog
UncleD, just bring the boat over finished or not. It will be easier to check-out on the trailer. :D

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:42 pm
by Uncle D
Mad Dog wrote:UncleD, just bring the boat over finished or not. It will be easier to check-out on the trailer. :D

Oookay, Dang, gotta work on the trailer. :oops:

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:52 am
by Uncle D
SmokyMountain wrote:Don,

I would suggest installing an additional chase
Cracker Larry wrote:Don, I would put the 3 tubes for the control cables, electrical and fuel line all on the starboard side. That way they can all exit the transom from the same hole and take the same path to the engine. I used 1" for the fuel line and it was real tight and barely workable. Sure hope I never have to change it. I'd use 1 1/4 for the fuel line next time.
Took Andrew's advice, this tube runs bow to stern with chases at the CC. I'll use the stern section for the live well plumbing. Went with the Flow-rite System. It sure is sweet. The smaller 1" are drains from the bilge. Because of the tunnel, this is the lowest part of the hull and I don't want to use the sponsons for that. That's where the live-well pump and control are located.
My vent holes for the tunnel. Over-sized filled and drilled. It gets boxed and capped with vent tubes. A bit different than most vents so I'll see. Got the box taped and glued. Next the cap.

Chase tubes for electrical, controls and fuel. Spare tube running to the bow too. Thanks Larry, used big tubes. :wink: :D

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:33 pm
by tobolamr
Good progress! Great to see pics on this build again, too!

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:25 am
by Uncle D
Foamed finally. Been working on the vents for tunnel. I don't really like where they ended up.
Fit the cockpit sole. It's actually a little too tight. Needs to be planed just a bit. Some of the chase tubes will be capped for if and when I ever need them.
Fuel tank set in place.
If I had it to do over again, I'd have waited to build the CC. I'll need to add to it or chunk it and rebuild it. It will need to be a bit longer to cover vent tubes and the box cover for the fuel tank. Still, might relocate the vents.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am
by Mad Dog
Uncle D wrote:I'll need to add to it or chunk it and rebuild it. It will need to be a bit longer to cover vent tubes and the box cover for the fuel tank. Still, might relocate the vents.
Great work Don :oops: . I'm thinking a foot rest over the vent tubes might be in order.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:05 am
by Uncle D
Thanks Charles. I've been thinking about that too. Don...aka Dave :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 am
by flyfishingmonk
Hi Derrick, :wink:

What about building a custom cooler off the front?

Casey

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:26 am
by Prarie Dog
Good job Dawg!! :wink:

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 pm
by Uncle D
flyfishingmonk wrote:What about building a custom cooler off the front?
Guess you lost me Case, Right now it's what to do with the vents. I like Charles' idea. might even make a box on the rear bulkhead, but a foot rest box would look better, I'm guessing. :doh:

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:52 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Well it appears as if the console is stopping short of covering the fuel tank and vents by 4 or 5 inches.

What I am suggesting is chopping a whole in the lower front area of the console, allowing it to slide back that 5 inches or so. Then rebuild the front to have a nice custom cooler with a seat that flips back kinda like a toilet lid, only with beer in it. :wink:

Put a drain plug in it and allow the water to flow to the bilge.

Pipe the vents out the side.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:09 pm
by Uncle D
Box built for fuel tank. It's located under console. Got help for Sat. to get console floor in. Batteries dead in Camera. Pics forthcoming.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:51 pm
by AtTheBrink
Looking good Don. You think you'll be fish out of her this spring?

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:34 am
by Uncle D
AtTheBrink wrote:Looking good Don. You think you'll be fish out of her this spring?
Man I hope so, I was hoping to be finished for this fall. :lol:

Fuel compartment finished for the most part, use green die for the final epoxy coat. I had blue but that didn't store well. Dried out. :roll: I like the grey die that most have used after looking at mine.

Anyways, my helper for the weekend and I..
did the final trimming of the console sole. Set it in place and fit snug as a bug. Nothing left to do but glue and weights.
Wound up using 45 oz glue on it. Next is the bow deck.

Don

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:58 pm
by tobolamr
Nice progress! Glad to see you still at it!

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 pm
by Cracker Larry
Dang, that's a wide boat 8O And very nice looking work 8)

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm
by Prarie Dog
Good job Uncle D. Looks like you wore that poor fellow out or maybe fed him one to many Shiners. :D

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:52 am
by SmokyMountain
Looking good. 8) I know that was a huge milestone to get the sole down. Couldn't stop smiling.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:08 am
by Uncle D
Went back to the lamination schedule to tape the console floor. Calls for the 12 oz. bi-axle 6" tape. Just wanted to make sure. That said I never understood why I was always short on that tape. Well, :oops: after CAREFULLY reading, I realized I have double taped at least all the stringers and probably bulkheads too. I guess a good mistake. Should be twice as stout. :lol: note to self... :?

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:22 pm
by Uncle D
Floor glued in for livewell / storage locker areas

Fillet's and taping and rest of cleats now. :D

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:43 pm
by cottontop
Looking real good. You are really getting close now. Won't fall apart for sure! :wink: John

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:29 pm
by AtTheBrink
Uncle D wrote:Went back to the lamination schedule to tape the console floor. Calls for the 12 oz. bi-axle 6" tape. Just wanted to make sure. That said I never understood why I was always short on that tape. Well, :oops: after CAREFULLY reading, I realized I have double taped at least all the stringers and probably bulkheads too. I guess a good mistake. Should be twice as stout. :lol: note to self... :?

8) Just like a Texan! Go Big or Go Home!!! :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 am
by Uncle D
AtTheBrink wrote:8) Just like a Texan! Go Big or Go Home!!! :lol:
cottontop wrote:Won't fall apart for sure! :wink: John
:D :lol: :D

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:40 pm
by AtTheBrink
Well Tio D, how goes it? Anything new on the boat?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm
by Prarie Dog
I'm surprised and astonished he doesn't have a built in cooler that'll hold a keg! :D

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 pm
by AtTheBrink
Prarie Dog wrote:I'm surprised and astonished he doesn't have a built in cooler that'll hold a keg! :D

Now that would be a first! 8O Would definitely need a designated driver on that boat! :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:45 am
by Uncle D
center storage locker on the bow deck. need advice on insulation for the sides. already have foam under the floor. guess I'll need some on the underside of the deck and lid too. the tap will be on the front cockpit bulkhead. and sorry, only a pony keg will fit. need a small CO2 bottle.(is that what you use with a tap??) Need to have Plastic Mugs too. Sorry, no glass allowed. So many details in a build. No wonder it takes so long to finish. :lol

"Well Tio D, how goes it? Anything new on the boat?"

Not this weekend, Mike. Was in the aransas channel sticking flatties.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:00 pm
by AtTheBrink
Now that flounder season is closed for the month, are you making any headway on your boat?

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:44 pm
by Uncle D
AtTheBrink wrote:Now that flounder season is closed for the month, are you making any headway on your boat?
Yea Mike, a little. Didn't get any work done last weekend but some on Wen. This Sat. gonna hit it hard. The plan is to finish all the cleats and hatch supports. I still have the gunnels to frame and fit. You boys be careful an Falcon and good luck.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:18 am
by Uncle D
99% done with all the hatch framing. made a few changes so took a bit more time.

Gunnel supports are in. I was able to locate the forward casting deck hatch cut outs. I clamped it down hoping some of the warp will relax. It sat on saw horses for months and took a shape of it's own. Before it's glued, inside the compartments will get a little fairing then a last coating of grey colored epoxy. I still need to locate the pop-up cleats and add backing plates. The hatch cut-outs will be ideal for all the backing plates and other uses. All are 1/2" with cloth on both sides.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:26 am
by Cracker Larry
Looks great Don, and the clamp makers love us :lol:

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:43 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Don,

Did you find things went faster once you flipped it? I would imagine they would since there are more 90 degree angles to deal with, and not as much curvature to content with like for the fairing process. Thoughts?

Casey

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:49 pm
by AtTheBrink
Looking good Tio D! One more step closer to the finish line! I am slowly catching up to you, but I dont have near the boat you do. :D

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:27 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Looking good Don! I like the Texas sized console and the hatches 8)

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 am
by Uncle D
Cracker Larry wrote:Looks great Don, and the clamp makers love us :lol:
I have 40 of the 3" alone. :lol:
flyfishingmonk wrote:Did you find things went faster once you flipped it?
Went much slower. Lots of details. I wished I had done a better job prepping before the flip like taping off the shear line before the graphite ( I have a few runs :oops: ), then primer right after the QF went on the shear. I was in a hurry to flip. So all that is left in addition to the inside. more accessories means more planning and lay-out. Livewell, coolers, hardware and on and on... 8O
AtTheBrink wrote: One more step closer to the finish line!
I think to myself, I can't wait to finish. Then in the same breath, what will I build next. :doh:
Aripeka Angler wrote:I like the Texas sized console and the hatches 8)
I wanted a console that would fit me. :wink: I have so many hatches I think I can subtract 10% off the total weight of the boat. :oops:

Thanks for all the words and encouragement folks!!
Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 pm
by Uncle D
Got 2 solid day in on the build over the holidays. All the hatch supports are in. There are three areas that could have additional hatches but I have so much storage area now that I'll wait on those. The hatch cut outs made great backing plates. All 5 of the pop-up cleats were located and cut in. Started with the first of the fairing on the inside. All the detail work makes for slow going.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 pm
by AtTheBrink
You will be painting the decks before too long!

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:37 pm
by Uncle D
Hope so Mike. I have a gallon of Kiwi Grip ready to go. :D

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:09 pm
by AtTheBrink
I am still going to try beat you to the splash! :D

What motor are you going with Tio?

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 am
by Uncle D
[quote=]I am still going to try beat you to the splash! :D [/quote]

I'm sure you will. I only get a few hours a week in. Then in the mean time I'll have a new fishing partner. :lol: 8)

[quote=]What motor are you going with Tio?[/quote]

I have older 140's Rudes. 3 spare lower units and 2 spare power heads. All loop charged. I would have liked to have a newer more efficient engine but I can buy a lot of gas keeping what I have.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:39 am
by AtTheBrink
I would like a newer one too. Mine is an '89 model and I dont have spare parts...

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 pm
by Uncle D
AtTheBrink wrote: Mine is an '89 model and I dont have spare parts...
I'll have extra coils and maybe power packs for ya. maybe a prop shaft too. Let me know if you need something used. I might have it or know where to get it.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:48 pm
by AtTheBrink
Thanks!

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:23 pm
by Uncle D
Spent last week on vacation fishing but did manage to get a little done to the boat.

Light grey pigmented epoxy in all the lockers.

The live well has dark green pigment now and the inside sheer, rear and fore cockpit bulkheads have blended filler applied. A little more sanding to the underside of the bow casting deck and it's ready to glue down after masking off the lockers.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:29 pm
by AtTheBrink
Looking good Don! How many coats did it take to get it opaque? And how much tint did you mix in your epoxy?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:14 pm
by Uncle D
AtTheBrink wrote:How many coats did it take to get it opaque? And how much tint did you mix in your epoxy?

I mixed about 1/2 oz per 3 oz of epoxy. one coat covered just fine, so I probably mixed it a bit much. :doh: :lol: Anyway the 3 oz's covered each compartment, more or less.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Looking great!

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:35 pm
by Uncle D
Been off the board for a while but I've been busy with the boat and got a CDL. Pics will follow soon. All the decks are on and glued. Also all the insides of the hatches are finished with grey tinted epoxy.
This past weekend, before the cold hit I sanded the fairing I had applied to the inside before the gunnels went on. Then the gunnels were glued in. I have two things left before final fairing and paint. 1.I have a coaming?? I think it's called,but it will go on the inside edge of the gunnel. They are 1x2's. And 2. modify the center console so it fits better over the fuel tank compartment and tunnel vents. Now need a little warmer weather.

Don

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 pm
by tobolamr
Uncle D - Good to see you back at it! I'm looking forward to seeing your picture updates, too!

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:54 pm
by AtTheBrink
Uncle D wrote:Now need a little warmer weather.

Don
Boy you got that right! This cold weather blows! It looks to be sticking around for awhile too. :(

Not a fan of winter. :?

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:22 pm
by Dougster
Good to see your progress Don, but it makes my back ache to see all those compartments to epoxy and fair! This cold weather has been tough for sure. I can get my shop up to to mid 60's by early afternoon, but mornings are tough. I've managed to get the hull painted though. Next comes Kiwi grip. I have friday off and it looks like a bit of a warming trend, so let's hope. Bein' outside has felt like walking around inside a fridge lately. Friends from Santa Fe came for a few days around the new year and, despite the colder Sante Fe climate, shivered here in our stuff.

Thinkin' about spring Dougster

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 am
by Uncle D
While I was schoolin', this is what I've gotten done to date.
Grey tint in all the hatches.

Green tint for the live well plus I've got the plumbing done too.
The Flow-rite livewell system with quick disconnect installed.
Front casting deck on and rear casting deck prepped and ready.
All decks done! Still have to round over and tape when the weather warms a bit. Also the inside fairing is complete and I don't have the pic yet but gunnels are in. I know the supports for the gunnels are going to be toe busters. May have to change that.

Don

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 am
by Cracker Larry
That's great progress, Don 8) Looks really good.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 pm
by tobolamr
What CL said! VERY nice!

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 pm
by cape man
If you tie the gunwales into the sides with the supports you really don't need to take them out onto the deck. I agree with the toe stubbing effect and it also makes wash down harder.

Looking fantastic!

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:14 pm
by BassMunn
Wow Don your boat is coming along really nicely

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:06 pm
by Uncle D
Thanks guys!! :D

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 am
by jorgepease
That is really nice, going to be a great boat!

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 am
by AtTheBrink
Lookin' good Tio! I am falling behind, better get my butt in gear if I am going to beat you to the water!

Where are you going to put your all your gear? You should have added a storage compartment or two! :wink: :wink:

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:02 pm
by Uncle D
AtTheBrink wrote:

Where are you going to put your all your gear? You should have added a storage compartment or two! :wink: :wink:
Actually that's funny cause I have 3 more compartments that aren't going to be used. :lol:

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:35 pm
by AtTheBrink
I am sure you will find something to put in them. We always do, don't we?

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 am
by Uncle D
AtTheBrink wrote:I am sure you will find something to put in them. We always do, don't we?
Not me cause I didn't install the hatches.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:27 pm
by Uncle D
Pics of the gunnels. Inside trim isn't on yet. Started sanding fairing on shear.
Still have to modify the console.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:40 pm
by BassMunn
Looking good Uncle D!!

Like your hatch layout on the front deck looks nice and neat

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 pm
by AtTheBrink
Looks great Tio! I think you are going to beat me to the ramp! Beautiful work!

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Looks great!

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 am
by Uncle D
I have a new apprentice! Sorta Kinda nephew wants to build a small sail boat. He is attending a local junior college for an airframe and power plant degree. Yesterday evening he came by so we laid out a game plan. Last nite we broke out the new super duper Rockwell multi-tool to whack off the toe stubbers in the cockpit. Not so sure I like how they look now. I'll get a few pics soon. Here's the before. And kinda what we did.
I cut 4 inches above the sole because I'll run the Kiwi Grip up the sides that much. :help:

Don

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 pm
by Prarie Dog
Nice, clean looking work, Uncle D. Really like your hatch layout!!

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:18 pm
by tobolamr
You may want to post pics sooner rather than later. If I think I understand how you cut that off... You may have an issue. :help: :help: :help:

Those sides of those bulkheads are structural, and need a 3" total width all the way up the side of the boat. At least, that's what I've gathered from years of watching builds. Can you post new pics soon?

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm
by AtTheBrink
What are you changing on the console?

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 pm
by TRC886
I think I like what you've done to your "rod holders", but tobolamr raised a good point. You might have made a mistake when you cut them :help:

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:46 am
by flyfishingmonk
tobolamr wrote:You may want to post pics sooner rather than later. If I think I understand how you cut that off... You may have an issue. :help: :help: :help:

Those sides of those bulkheads are structural, and need a 3" total width all the way up the side of the boat. At least, that's what I've gathered from years of watching builds. Can you post new pics soon?
I had the same thought. Would the gunnel not come out far enough to keep you from hitting them?

Casey

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 am
by Uncle D
Thanks guys, I keep looking at them and I think ya'll are right. Originally it calls for just one frame in the center of the cockpit. That's "C" frame location, but I'll probably extend them down to the sole but make them taper into the sole instead of sticking out so much like before. The original gunnel is wide. Like 12 in. but I didn't like that so I went with 5 in. to have more cockpit space. I'll post that in the other builders forum so J and S can give there take on it. Don

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 am
by Cracker Larry
Don, I agree with the others, I think you cut them too short. Plus, it's fugly. I would taper them all the way down to the sole. At least you've got a tool that can easily zip them off :D

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:18 am
by Uncle D
Yea Larry, I posted in the "Power Boats to get J or S's opinion. I'll do what they say or if no comment, I'll do as you and the others have suggested.

I must luv doin' things twice. :doh:

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm
by tobolamr
Uncle D - I'm really sorry. :oops: :oops: But I just know that issue has come up before, and that you need that 3" of "bulkhead" all the way up the side of the boat. I've spent a LOT of time on the PH18 builds, as that was the boat I wanted to build first. I was not trying to cause any issues, but was hoping to save some headache in the future.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:21 pm
by Uncle D
tobolamr wrote:Uncle D - I'm really sorry. :oops: :oops: But I just know that issue has come up before, and that you need that 3" of "bulkhead" all the way up the side of the boat. I've spent a LOT of time on the PH18 builds, as that was the boat I wanted to build first. I was not trying to cause any issues, but was hoping to save some headache in the future.
Not at all Amigo!! No worries. Larry was right, fugly. And you were right because J confirmed it. Take it down to the sole. This is one of those times I shouldn't have been thinking..I need everybody to help keep me straight on this. Thanks :!:

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:26 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Uncle D wrote:
tobolamr wrote:Uncle D - I'm really sorry. :oops: :oops: But I just know that issue has come up before, and that you need that 3" of "bulkhead" all the way up the side of the boat. I've spent a LOT of time on the PH18 builds, as that was the boat I wanted to build first. I was not trying to cause any issues, but was hoping to save some headache in the future.
Not at all Amigo!! No worries. Larry was right, fugly. And you were right because J confirmed it. Take it down to the sole. This is one of those times I shouldn't have been thinking..I need everybody to help keep me straight on this. Thanks :!:
That is what is wonderful about building a boat out of glue and wood... you simply use more glue and wood and presto you are back where you started. =)

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:31 pm
by peter-curacao
Maybe this will work? :doh: foam up a pvc pipe, cut it open, take out that foam core, cut that core in half and trim it to fit that panel,glass it in so it's structural against the panel, you still hit you toes but less intense :wink:

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm
by Uncle D
thanks for the idea Peter. I did go ahead and spliced the frame in. It goes to the sole but is tapered down so it won't stick out so much. Guess I'm going to see how many stub's it takes to develop that memory.
At least I'll have something to laugh about when others stub their toes. :lol:

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:13 pm
by AtTheBrink
You got plenty of toes! It will probably just be the little toes that take a beating, we don't use toes much anyway! :lol: :lol:

But seriously, glad you got it all straightened out in time!

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:43 pm
by Mad Dog
Uncle D wrote:Guess I'm going to see how many stub's it takes to develop that memory.
I think I have the solution for Don. I've used this trick for as long as I can remember...

Wear shoes. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:46 am
by Uncle D
Mad Dog wrote:
Uncle D wrote: Wear shoes. :D :D :D :D :D :D

10-4 :!:

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:56 pm
by MarkOrge
I know I am WAY north of you guys, but my die hard flats/bone fishing enthusiasts tell me you need to be barefoot on a clean deck. This is so you can "feel" the flyline if it is hung up on any part of your feet/toes, etc. When wearing shoes, you won't feel the fly line you are stripping that is laying around the dek and under your feet get snagged on one of your toes (or about to be)

just my $ .02 .... i haven't picked up my fly rods since I moved east .....

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm
by flyfishingmonk
MarkOrge wrote:I know I am WAY north of you guys, but my die hard flats/bone fishing enthusiasts tell me you need to be barefoot on a clean deck. This is so you can "feel" the flyline if it is hung up on any part of your feet/toes, etc. When wearing shoes, you won't feel the fly line you are stripping that is laying around the dek and under your feet get snagged on one of your toes (or about to be).

just my $ .02 .... i haven't picked up my fly rods since I moved east .....
This is an accurate statement. I typically fish in socks so I can feel the line but still protect my feet from the blazing hot sun. And the result is more fish. =)

Casey

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:49 am
by Uncle D
I haven't ever had that problem..never fly fished or fished with a fly. :lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:57 am
by AtTheBrink
Uncle D wrote:I haven't ever had that problem..never fly fished or fished with a fly. :lol:
We are going to have to fix that problem :!:

I'll teach you. You haven't really fished 'til you've flyfished!

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:05 am
by Uncle D
AtTheBrink wrote:

Good deal Mike. Looking froward to that!! :D

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:56 pm
by AtTheBrink
Uncle D wrote:
AtTheBrink wrote:

Good deal Mike. Looking froward to that!! :D
Me too! It is a fun sport. Most of it is sight fishing, it is always better when can see 'em eat! You won't typically catch as many fish in a day but the ones you do catch are alot more memorable.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 pm
by Uncle D
Got the gunnels, supports, trim and including the decks all glassed. working on the console now. I didn't like the looks the way it was, so now, what was to be open is now enclosed. I'll have to get two more hatches or something, one in front and one in the back to have access inside. Once I have all the control cables, lines and wires in place I may install a shelf inside. The fuel tank is under the console. I used my homemade electric fairing board on the outside shear. Looks like I need one more lift of QF there. I'll still need to fair some more on the inside around the cockpit and seat support. If I don't forget something, I'll be ready for primer soon.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm
by Dougster
"Homemade electric fairing board". Hey maybe I missed something. Have you posted pics of the thing? Inquiring minds and all. I made a redneck one: standard homemade long board and a fan :D I bet the primer will be a breeze and make things look great.

Watchin' from the hill country Dougster

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:42 pm
by Uncle D
Sorry for the late response Doug. Here is the original.

The more or less final is a board cut to the length of a belt sander belts. I glued a 1/2" high x 1/4" wide rib along the back to create camber. That way on flat surfaces such as on hulls, you get even pressure all along the length of the board. Doesn't need to be much, but otherwise only towards the ends will sand and not in the center of the board. I still have the longer board in the pic with different hand grips but the workhorse is a shorter board that has a DA mounted on one end had a hand grip on the other end. It also has some camber. The rheostat is for better control. And finally the 3M adhesive. All in all it works pretty good, better than by hand!!

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm
by AtTheBrink
That is a neat rig there Tio. I have one of the 1/3rd sheet sander that I never use. It might end up getting used now. Good idea, thanks for posting the pictures.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 pm
by Dougster
Very cool Donn!

Thankin' you Dougster

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:22 pm
by Uncle D
I have been on hold for about a month because of an additional job. Part of the hold-up was that I wanted input on my console. I never got to post pics for ya'lls opinion, but my boat building buddy stopped by the house. After looking at my lay-out and a few Q&A, I'm ready to get back after it. Next stop is to cut out the hatches front and back in the console and glue it down. Then fairing and primer.

Don

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:13 pm
by AtTheBrink
Don, you don't happen to make regular trips to Houston do you? Looking for a way to save some money on plywood.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:12 am
by Uncle D
Not at this time Mike. I'll be going to H-town in 4-6 weeks. Birth of grand baby. If I do get a load that way and am coming back empty, I'll try to arrange something. I'm usually near Houston Hardwoods during my trips. If it works out, I'd be happy to help.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 am
by AtTheBrink
Don I really appreciate that! I still need to get over there and check out your boat in person! :D Congrats on the Grand Baby!

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:49 pm
by Uncle D
Very little progress to date. I've got the console glued in and that's been about it. With this second job, i don't have the time of day it seems. i have cut and epoxied pieces ready to glue inside the console. In the mean time I hope to fair the CC and get a final layer of fairing on the sides soon.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:26 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Man I hear ya. You and me both.

Casey

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:49 pm
by tobolamr
Good to hear that you're still inching along, though!

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:15 pm
by AtTheBrink
Made any head way with your boat lately? I am finally able to get back to mine. I still need to stop by one of these days.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:34 pm
by Uncle D
Good to hear from you Mike. No boat building at all. Just got finished rebuilding the front end of my Tahoe, new tires and new radiator. If I get any free time I'll get back to it. Need to do a little housekeeping to the shop, then fair and sand a little more. Glad to hear your building again!!

Don

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:50 pm
by AtTheBrink
It was a long break from building but I have all the material to finish the build headed this way, finally! I need to do a ton of house keeping to get ready for paint. I went with Sky Blue and Cloud White. Getting excited, ready to splash this thing!

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:38 pm
by Uncle D
Mike, If you haven't had enough fun fairing painting, well... just sayin'. 8)

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:50 pm
by AtTheBrink
I am not quite sick of it yet but I will be as soon as this boat is done! I once I practice painting mine I can help you with your boat and maybe get it right! I have been going over the outside of the hull trying to find all all the little imperfections, a real pain in the back.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm
by Mad Dog
Hey Don? You must be doing a lot CDL driving. Haven't seen any updates from you lately.

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 am
by Uncle D
Mad Dog wrote:Hey Don? You must be doing a lot CDL driving. Haven't seen any updates from you lately.

Dang, I am driving too much. two jobs is a killer for boat building.. I did do a small repair on my bosses scooter yesterday.
On mine, I'm trying to finish the fairing. Then it's on to primer. Got an hour or two on Sat. morning then had a run. That's basically been it for a month. :| Thanks for asking Charles :D

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:01 pm
by Uncle D
Dang, been over a month. Fairing the CC. Should get the third and final lift done soon. Starting to see a little daylight through a crack...a very small crack.

Question...I'm sure that it's been answered before but Should I neat epoxy the areas that are QF'ed.. I'm thinking I should cause I have a few small tiny areas that I sanded down to the wood on the CC. Mostly corners. Or just the bare areas..

Thx, D

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:27 pm
by tech_support
Question...I'm sure that it's been answered before but Should I neat epoxy the areas that are QF'ed.. I'm thinking I should cause I have a few small tiny areas that I sanded down to the wood on the CC. Mostly corners. Or just the bare areas..
above the waterline, you can go right to primer over QF. Thats what I do 100% of the time, I woudl only neat epoxy over QF on the hull bottom.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 pm
by Uncle D
Thanks!!

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:58 am
by blueflood
For what it's worth I did contact S3 a while ago with the same question. I was recommended to neat epoxy over QF. Personally I feel much more comfy with that strategy regardless of its location or square inch area. The majotiry of the hull is covered, why skip a few spots ?

Marc

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 am
by jacquesmm
Yes but we use an epoxy primer!
Anyway, it doesn't hurt or cost much to coat it once more.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:57 pm
by Uncle D
Okay, thanks again

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:35 am
by Uncle D
PORN...been forever since the last post. Fairing for topcoat. Also re-cut the rod holders for a cleaner look.

Console, chase tubes, fuel and vent.

Fairing for Kiwi Grip

Three coats primer

First layer top coat.Jay Gray
Julie decided we should coat the entire boat since we had some left over paint.

She's calling her "The Grey Ghost"

First coat was a bust, or learning curve. We learned to watch for roller shed and when to keep adding reducer. And once tipped, leave it the heck alone!! We'll sand and do the second coat. Were having trouble with mostly lint. We have moped and cleaned and tack clothed. Also fans pulling air out of the shop. Any advice will be appreciated

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:54 am
by justin_dwyer
Wicked looking boat man !! 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:05 am
by Aripeka Angler
Looking great Don! It won't be too long before you are chasing reds 8)
On the lint thing, it's coming from the circulating air, the roller or your tack rags. I personally don't run a fan when I am painting with Sterling. I just gear up and tough it out. You will get through this stage of the build if you keep after it :) Nice work :D

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:36 am
by Uncle D
I'm sure it's in the air. Not sure what to do about it. I couldn't find any info on sanding between coats but I'm guessing 320. I need to sand where the roller shed in a few areas. I'm also wondering if I need 600 or 1000 grit for a final go over to remove any blemishes such as these lint spots or leave well enough alone. :doh:

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:44 am
by Cracker Larry
Looking good, Don! That Sterling shows every spec of dust. I've found that it helps to wet down the floor and everything else around it that you can to keep the dust down.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:18 am
by Dougster
You've been busy Don! That's a lot of progress since your last post and sure looks like she's gonna be a fish machine. Good notion coating the whole boat; makes putting on the Kiwi a snap as you don't have to worry about any primer bleed through showing. I did like Richard said. I turned off my fan and also bought some cheapo plastic to staple around the boat and above it to make a quick and dirty tent. Sounds like a lot of trouble but it wasn't more than an hour of time to staple up. Then I wet the floor with a few buckets of water, put on a respirator with new filters and laid on the Sterling. Still got some dust :lol: Not bad though. I sanded with 320 very lightly to get some tooth in some areas that I did over ( like the cabin roof). Of course if you keep in the 24 hour window you don't need to sand. I dunno about touch up with that real fine paper, but there's a ding in my transom, smaller than a dime that I'd like to fool with, so maybe someone will speak to that.

Hope you and family are well and figure to see you this summer at POC.

Still on board Dougster

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:24 am
by SmokyMountain
Don,

She's looking great!! You say you had some lint for your roller. I used the West Marine thin foam rollers when I painted. They left very little lint behind. I used a fan on low too because I didn't want fumes in the house. I put a AC filter on a box fan and it help some. Looks great!!! You'll love how she performs!!! :D

Andrew

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:56 am
by TRC886
I read a post a post somewhere, that you want a relatively coarse sandpaper between coats, just to give the next coat some tooth to bite into. I don't remember what the "ideal" grit was, but I don't think it was finer than 320.

IIRC: The builder had worked his way from "coarse" to 1000 grit (or finer) just before his final topcoat. His concern was that he'd see sanding marks in his final paint if he didn't use such fine sandpaper. The forum consensus was that coarser paper would not show sanding marks.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:22 pm
by willg
Uncle D, that's good boat porn! The boat looks awesome all the way around. I've got a few questions for you: How much Sterling did you order and how many coats are you planning? What brand/color hatches are you going to use?

Will

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:32 pm
by Shamrock Kid
I like that color, it looks great Don.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:48 pm
by Uncle D
willg wrote:Uncle D, that's good boat porn! The boat looks awesome all the way around. I've got a few questions for you: How much Sterling did you order and how many coats are you planning? What brand/color hatches are you going to use?

Will
I bought a gallon. I'll probably have half of it left after 3 coats...That's the plan, unless...
I have the T-H Designer series in light gray. Best price was online at Bass Pro. I'm BFG (big fat guy) so for the price, these hatches look to be strongest. I hope.

Larry, we mopped the shop 3 times but there is so much dust from sanding and working inside that I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Doug and TRC, 320 grit between coats is what I'll go with. And Julie bought clear plastic sheeting for our "booth". Glad its winter!
Planning for all three of us at POC.

Andrew, I'll get to West Marine soonest, Thanks.

Shamrock, Thanks. It's going to be a lot of gray...Jay Gray topcoat, light gray Kiwi-Grip and light gray hatches. If it's too much I may add something different.

As soon as I can I'll sand, clean, mop, then build the booth for the second coat.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:58 pm
by tobolamr
Nice progress! And I have to admit, "The Grey Ghost" sounds pretty nifty to me, too!

(my kids have been on a superhero comic kick, and I like the "superhero" name!) :D

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:09 pm
by AtTheBrink
OK Don! Let's see some pictures and hear about what's going on!

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:19 pm
by Uncle D
6 months is too long not to post-up. Boat's done. Been rigging and trailer refit. Nearly all electrical done. Fitting my old 140 Johnson. Powerhead painted and so is the rest of the midsection and lower unit. Mid section is bolted to jackplate and hydraulic steering cylinder is on too. Front hatches are on but I still have the aft hatches left once rigging is finished. Once that's done it's off to register. Hope by next week.
Don.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:47 pm
by AtTheBrink
It is still a race Don! We are both doing the same thing! You might beat me yet if my poling platform doesn't get finished. I am still looking for pictures of yours :?: :doh: :)

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:31 am
by tech_support
sounds like your pretty close to going fishing :)

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:03 pm
by MarkOrge
SWEET !

Someday mine will be shiny.... :wink:

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:33 pm
by Uncle D
Getting closer. More hatch covers installed. A couple more to do. Then a bead of silicon. Once I fit the trailer it's ready to register. There is so much stuff still all over the boat from rigging that I'm not ready for pics just yet but I'll post some soon. Working for the POC deadline. D.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:44 am
by Uncle D
The hull is finished. I will Change to the Powerhead I originally wanted use. While sand blasting for paint, I had a bolt hole for the starter that for some reason is open into the crankcase. Not taking a chance I'll take it apart. Once on and running Then I can fit a prop. I get 32 at about 5000 or so. I don't think my tunnel is effective right now. The boat sits nice in the water but running, I can't get the bow up. The faster I run the more the bow wants to plow. Minor stuff. Mad Dog had a couple pics from the Meet at POC.