CS23 Charleston SC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Leotis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CS23 Charleston SC

Post by Leotis »

peter-curacao wrote:Nice but I think it would make Bateau boats with a 100+ gallon capacity unstable, not sure though :doh:
I will find out soon enough I hope to use two 55 gallon saddle tanks rather than two belly tanks.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'd rather have that 700 pounds below the center of gravity than above it. Just a thought.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

I agree with Larry as light as these boats are having that much weight above the CG and having to switch often to keep it balanced would make me leary of using saddle tanks.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Leotis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Leotis »

TomW wrote:I agree with Larry as light as these boats are having that much weight above the CG and having to switch often to keep it balanced would make me leary of using saddle tanks.

Tom
I would not have to switch tanks they would be connected by a equalizing tube, but the center of gravity is a different issue? Where is it on the CS23? I hate to get ahead of my self but I would like to have a below deck fish box and a storage compartment also below deck.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

We are talking Verticle Center of Gravity in this instance and it is at or slightly above sole level depending on the boat and what options and all are on it, for the CS23 it's probably 4-6" above the sole. So if you use saddle tanks you raise that VCG significantly as Larry pointed out 700lbs with the fuel load you are going with on a total hull weight with tanks, etc., of less than 1900lbs. If that 700lbs was below the VCG it would help stabilze the boat making her ride better in rough water, where with saddle tanks you are making her the opposite and she will roll more in rough water.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Leotis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Leotis »

TomW wrote:We are talking Verticle Center of Gravity in this instance and it is at or slightly above sole level depending on the boat and what options and all are on it, for the CS23 it's probably 4-6" above the sole. So if you use saddle tanks you raise that VCG significantly as Larry pointed out 700lbs with the fuel load you are going with on a total hull weight with tanks, etc., of less than 1900lbs. If that 700lbs was below the VCG it would help stabilze the boat making her ride better in rough water, where with saddle tanks you are making her the opposite and she will roll more in rough water.

Tom
And i picked the CS23 for stability so i will not be using saddle tanks. thanks Tom.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

:D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Leotis wrote:[ I would like to have a below deck fish box and a storage compartment also below deck.
Plenty of room for that under the casting deck ( if you make a casting deck)

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

peter-curacao wrote:
Leotis wrote:[ I would like to have a below deck fish box and a storage compartment also below deck.
Plenty of room for that under the casting deck ( if you make a casting deck)
I would think so to.

What layout are you going with Leotis?

BTW- Your progress looks great. I'll be watching closely, I'm hoping to build this boat one day.

Daniel

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Leotis now I would put a valve so you can switch tanks. You will probably want to empty the front tank first for trim reasons and have the center tank which if I recall is more under the console be the main tank. Just depends what size tanks you can get under the sole where Jacques shows them in the plans. I know Jim Wright on his C19 does that with his two tanks.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy