Page 1 of 1

CS23 Charleston SC

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 pm
by Leotis
Not sure if i know how to post pictures yet but if you look in the builders galleries i have posted some pictures of what my CS23 will look like, I hope, except with outboard/outboards. i found this puppy at the Charleston wooden boat show. http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-25619

Re: CS23 Charleston SC

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:32 pm
by PastorBob
:wink:

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:58 am
by tech_support
nice boat. For practical reasons I would not want that dark of a hull in the Southeast, but she is sure is pretty. Sort of a "picnic" verseion of a spearfishing hull. No blood on that canvas 8O

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:38 am
by Leotis
Thanks for posting those pictures Bob.

My colors will be much lighter than that but I'm so far away from that it's not even a thought right now.

As soon as I get my camera cable I will post some pics of my progress so far, I just got a new project in Hilton Head SC so I have even less time to get my fix in now.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:42 pm
by Spokaloo
Man I love seeing CS's go together. Will be watching this CLOSELY.

E

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm
by woodbutcher
I'll be watching close myself as the cs models are ones I am looking at for the second build.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 pm
by fishin'
I think that boat is this one. http://www.seaislandboatworks.com/boats/novak29.htm She is a beauty.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:43 pm
by Leotis
fishin' wrote:I think that boat is this one. http://www.seaislandboatworks.com/boats/novak29.htm She is a beauty.
It's real nice and a nice price tag to go with it.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 am
by Jonny
Leo, I lost ur number. Send me a text with it.

Jonny

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:12 am
by Leotis
Well i got all the frames mounted and realized i did not put my two inside stringers in, oh well that will happen this weekend along with the bow mold and then I will start cutting hull panels. I did find my camera cord but still can not get the images in the post???

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 am
by peter-curacao
Congrats on this step, looking forward to the pics 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:13 am
by D2Maine
nm

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:05 pm
by fishin'
looking good! All of the sudden, we have a lot of builds going on in the Charleston area.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:46 pm
by peter-curacao
leotis,

I would take that bulkhead out before planking just to make life easier later on, besides that you don't really need it for the planking.Just my two cents

Peter

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:42 pm
by Leotis
peter-curacao wrote:leotis,

I would take that bulkhead out before planking just to make life easier later on, besides that you don't really need it for the planking.Just my two cents

Peter
Your talking about frame F? You have done this already so if you think it will be easier later i will take it out. Thanks Peter.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:55 pm
by peter-curacao
Now I see you have less frames as I do so I don't know if it's F, I mean the frame before the transom

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 pm
by Leotis
peter-curacao wrote:Now I see you have less frames as I do so I don't know if it's F, I mean the frame before the transom
Yes , i have one less than you do, now that i've gotten this far i wish i would have ordered the CS25 plans. I would start over if i thought i was going to have more time. Are you still waiting on your fuel tanks? Did you ever consider saddle tanks? Not sure if you we could use them on the carolina style boats?

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:31 pm
by peter-curacao
Leotis wrote:
peter-curacao wrote:Now I see you have less frames as I do so I don't know if it's F, I mean the frame before the transom
Yes , i have one less than you do, now that i've gotten this far i wish i would have ordered the CS25 plans. I would start over if i thought i was going to have more time. Are you still waiting on your fuel tanks? Did you ever consider saddle tanks? Not sure if you we could use them on the carolina style boats?
To be honest I don't know what you mean by a saddle tank :oops: Yes I'm still waiting for my tanks they told me next week they are finished at last, Saturday they will be here to dry fit them and make a final decision for the connections. You are making the bracket version of the 23 so actual you have the 25 :wink: (think the glass half full not half empty)

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:52 pm
by Leotis
peter-curacao wrote:
Leotis wrote:
To be honest I don't know what you mean by a saddle tank :oops: Yes I'm still waiting for my tanks they told me next week they are finished at last, Saturday they will be here to dry fit them and make a final decision for the connections. You are making the bracket version of the 23 so actual you have the 25 :wink: (think the glass half full not half empty)

This is a Saddle tank, they go in the Gunwhales. They are tapered, larger at the top than at the bottom, Same concept as the belly tanks. just in a different location.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:00 pm
by peter-curacao
Nice but I think it would make Bateau boats with a 100+ gallon capacity unstable, not sure though :doh:

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:22 pm
by Leotis
peter-curacao wrote:Nice but I think it would make Bateau boats with a 100+ gallon capacity unstable, not sure though :doh:
I will find out soon enough I hope to use two 55 gallon saddle tanks rather than two belly tanks.

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:51 am
by Cracker Larry
I'd rather have that 700 pounds below the center of gravity than above it. Just a thought.

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:40 am
by TomW
I agree with Larry as light as these boats are having that much weight above the CG and having to switch often to keep it balanced would make me leary of using saddle tanks.

Tom

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:28 pm
by Leotis
TomW wrote:I agree with Larry as light as these boats are having that much weight above the CG and having to switch often to keep it balanced would make me leary of using saddle tanks.

Tom
I would not have to switch tanks they would be connected by a equalizing tube, but the center of gravity is a different issue? Where is it on the CS23? I hate to get ahead of my self but I would like to have a below deck fish box and a storage compartment also below deck.

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:04 pm
by TomW
We are talking Verticle Center of Gravity in this instance and it is at or slightly above sole level depending on the boat and what options and all are on it, for the CS23 it's probably 4-6" above the sole. So if you use saddle tanks you raise that VCG significantly as Larry pointed out 700lbs with the fuel load you are going with on a total hull weight with tanks, etc., of less than 1900lbs. If that 700lbs was below the VCG it would help stabilze the boat making her ride better in rough water, where with saddle tanks you are making her the opposite and she will roll more in rough water.

Tom

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:48 am
by Leotis
TomW wrote:We are talking Verticle Center of Gravity in this instance and it is at or slightly above sole level depending on the boat and what options and all are on it, for the CS23 it's probably 4-6" above the sole. So if you use saddle tanks you raise that VCG significantly as Larry pointed out 700lbs with the fuel load you are going with on a total hull weight with tanks, etc., of less than 1900lbs. If that 700lbs was below the VCG it would help stabilze the boat making her ride better in rough water, where with saddle tanks you are making her the opposite and she will roll more in rough water.

Tom
And i picked the CS23 for stability so i will not be using saddle tanks. thanks Tom.

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:50 am
by Cracker Larry
:D

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:24 am
by peter-curacao
Leotis wrote:[ I would like to have a below deck fish box and a storage compartment also below deck.
Plenty of room for that under the casting deck ( if you make a casting deck)

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:02 am
by Murry
peter-curacao wrote:
Leotis wrote:[ I would like to have a below deck fish box and a storage compartment also below deck.
Plenty of room for that under the casting deck ( if you make a casting deck)
I would think so to.

What layout are you going with Leotis?

BTW- Your progress looks great. I'll be watching closely, I'm hoping to build this boat one day.

Daniel

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:05 pm
by TomW
Leotis now I would put a valve so you can switch tanks. You will probably want to empty the front tank first for trim reasons and have the center tank which if I recall is more under the console be the main tank. Just depends what size tanks you can get under the sole where Jacques shows them in the plans. I know Jim Wright on his C19 does that with his two tanks.

Tom

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:27 pm
by Cracker Larry
Tom makes a good point about the trim and it's good to be able to isolate the tanks if you get contamination in one. Each tank has to have a shut off valve by USCG requirements anyway.

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:58 pm
by Leotis
TomW wrote:Leotis now I would put a valve so you can switch tanks. You will probably want to empty the front tank first for trim reasons and have the center tank which if I recall is more under the console be the main tank. Just depends what size tanks you can get under the sole where Jacques shows them in the plans. I know Jim Wright on his C19 does that with his two tanks.

Tom
I agree with all of you, I just wish now that i could get back home to work on this thing, stuck in Hilton Head, SC.

I planned on doing the jump cabin version Peter, but now I'm thinking I need to do the open with the casting deck so I can put a fish box in.

i've been on plenty of boats in my short life and the one thing i do not like is a cluttered/crowded deck. I want as much free space and room as possible.