Tom's C17ccx "CARONDELET"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Tom's C17ccx "CARONDELET'

Post by tech_support »

good to see you getting started on her Tom :)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Peter I first floated the C17ccx in April 2008,
I'm so confused :doh:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Capeman loaned him *the hatch*... so he could get her splashed before he started... it can really mess with your mind if you are not used to that sort of thing... 8)

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Cracker Larry wrote:
Peter I first floated the C17ccx in April 2008,
I'm so confused :doh:
Me too. I think it may mean that he finally decided that the C17ccx is what he would build. And after ALOT of pondering he is getting started. Maybe

Glad to see ya started Tom. Hopefully I want be too far behind you.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

topwater wrote:Way to go tom.....i know you have been building this one in your head for some time.
Now that you have every thing straight it should go much faster "alot less pondering time "
I definately agree with Topwater, my build was flying while I was following plans, then I got to the top deck and started the customizing part and someone threw the anchor overboard when I wasn't watching. I think if you added it up I have spent atleast 3 months just looking, measuring, thinking , planning , drawing and pondering what and how to do something that I didn't have plans for.

Tom seems to have done all this planning way before time, so should be much quicker.
Tom tell us when to start the stopwatch :lol:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

It has started, tick-tock. :lol:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

cape man

Post by cape man »

Capeman loaned him *the hatch*... so he could get her splashed before he started... it can really mess with your mind if you are not used to that sort of thing...
Opening the hatch now...

Here's a picture of Tom's boat...

...oh wait, that's the picture from the boat plans page... :D :D :D :D

Tom if you are planning on bringing her down for the meet next spring you better stop typing and get building!!!! I too once had some pretty strong confidence in my ability to crank a boat out quickly.

You will of course do a fantastic job, and certainly know what you need to do. I will be cheering you on the whole way. Plenty of sweet places on that design to use the walnut, and when sealed properly just about any wood is boat wood.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Cape man... everytime you open that hatch, the GPS satelites need to be resync'ed. I checked my GPS today, and it had me about 21,000 miles over New Zealand, in orbit. It must have been just as you opened it, and before an update. Give us some warning when you're using that thing... :x

While I was there, I did see (don't exactly know how) your boat completed Tom . Would you like to know what color you had... er... will paint her? Of course, if I tell you know, it may change your mind, so maybe I shouldn't tell.... :roll:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Funny you should mention paints KS, just got a new brochure from Alexseal a German company that are sold by Hamilton Marine. Same system as Sterling paint, catalyst and reducer. Have some gorgeous colors and are priced better. Info I am getting indicates hardness and gloss is better than Sterling. I know what colors I want and Sterling didn't have them was going with Perfection. Now I don't know till I do some checking

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Well, I think it is *causally* safe to at least tell you that she is going to look great. 8)