FS14: jaydillyo's first build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Center console

Post by jaydillyo@yahoo.com »

Yes. I have that thread and his gallery bookmarked. I was hoping for some measurements for where the center console should be placed. That's ok though, I'll figure something out. :)

I have to say that his speed readings are really encouraging. I'm hopeful that the 20hp Yamaha I got will push it along quite nicely. Also, the Yamaha is a much lighter, 134 lbs vs the 173 lbs I believe he quoted for his Big foot Mariner.

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

Pat4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14: jaydillyo's first build

Post by Pat4 »

Jaydillyo,

Keep us posted with lots of pictures of your progress!!
And if you want me to do some measuring on my FS14, let me know!

Patrick

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My motor arrived yesterday via fright. The packing could have been better, but it seems to be ok. I don't see any issues or damage.

I'm thinking about bringing it into a Yamaha dealer to have them check it over and winterize it. It's a brand new motor, but I think I'd rather know now if there is anything wrong with it than wait until next spring when I am about to use it. The warranty is already ticking so there's no real point in waiting.

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have decided to bring the motor in and have it run, checked over, and winterized. I will be bringing it in on Monday. Everything should be fine, but I want to know for sure.

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Here's the layout that I've been toying with for my FS14.

Most of it is self explanatory. The only part that isn't is the seat in front of the CC. The idea is to have a standard seat in front of the CC and a removable larger seat that can be placed across it in order to seat two people.

I have the layout of the boat drawn out in chalk on my basement floor. I'm going to add these other elements and see what it's like.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

P.S. The red doesn't mean anything. Just put it there to break up the white. :)

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Motor Stand

I finally finished up the motor stand and got it mounted and stored. It looks so much better on the stand than it did sitting in its box! 8)

I can't wait to mount it to my FS14 next year!

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I'm happy to say that my warm up project has arrived! I'm going to be building a SnG kayak kit from another company. My father and I are going to get it started while my parents are visiting for thanksgiving. This kayak is a christmas gift for my mother from my father and I. This is step #1 to building my FS14. I won't be posting anything else here about the kayak, except for maybe a picture when it's completed. :o

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Now that March is here, I'm looking forward to starting my FS-14 build. I want to prepare for the imminent build so I can get it done ASAP.

Does temperature affect anything other than the curing of the epoxy? Will it be ok if I build the jig and do the stitching in the cold? I'm anxious to see the hull take shape. I'll definitely wait for temperatures to rise before I do any gluing. My guess is that any expansion in the plywood would be small enough not to matter. I just want to be sure.

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

jaydillyo@yahoo.com wrote:Now that March is here, I'm looking forward to starting my FS-14 build. I want to prepare for the imminent build so I can get it done ASAP.

Does temperature affect anything other than the curing of the epoxy? Will it be ok if I build the jig and do the stitching in the cold? I'm anxious to see the hull take shape. I'll definitely wait for temperatures to rise before I do any gluing. My guess is that any expansion in the plywood would be small enough not to matter. I just want to be sure.

-- jaydillyo

The only restriction to working in the cold, other than curing of the epoxy, is how much cold you can stand. They great thing about plywood is that it is dimensionaly stable. Plus, for wood, it isn't heat or cold that directly cause movement. It's changes in moisture. But not an issue with plywood. Build on and do the gluing when it's above 45 degrees.

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

I started building my FL14 a few years back in late March early April. Built in the garage after work and on weekends. The only"problem" was when it stayed cold during the day, sometimes it would take 2 days for the epoxy to cure (Marinepoxy medium). Usually did layups in the evening, and as the temperature dropped overnight it cured just fine. Cutting and stitching can be done at any temperature, just keep the wood dry. There's about a foot of snow on it now and it has survived 5 winters upside down and summers on Lake Erie and other small lakes around here. One thing I would suggest is if it doesn't say to cover the wood with glass, do it anyway. The problem I ran into after a couple of years was checking on the exposed wood that was not glassed and it is BS1088 meranti. Rick