FS14: jaydillyo's first build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14: jaydillyo's first build

Post by terrulian »

Yes, primer will more reveal than conceal fairing lapses. However, some builders, myself included, use the primer coat as sort of a guide coat. Once the boat is all one color, you can use a light dusting of graphite powder or spray paint, and then go over the whole boat with some 220 on a long board. This will help identify the areas that need more work (the low spots). If you've used an epoxy primer like S3 you can add some fairing with thickened epoxy or Quick Fair and then sand and spot prime. I had to repeat that process several times but you go with whatever level of finish suits you. It is a bad feeling when, after you've done all this work you finally put on the topcoat and it emphasizes every single little mistake.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm going to disagree with a condition...

I did NOT sand with high grit paper. All under 100. Using S3 primer and EMC LPU I'd suggest that areas that were properly faired would give you guys a run for you money on finish smoothness.

The condition is what I mean by "properly faired". In this case I mean weave, pin holes, gouges and any other lows filled. All high points lowered properly. Etc.

The S3 will cover small pinholes and sanding gouges. The EMC levels out what the S3 didn't get. It made my disastrous finish look good. If it can do that, a decently dedicated effort at fairing will won't really look worse.

Granted I've also suggested use of some of the most expensive finish products out there.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jaydillyo@yahoo.com »

S3 primer is on the way. Haven't picked out paint yet.
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jaydillyo@yahoo.com »

- Sand
- Prime
- Guide coat
- Sand
- Fair
- Sand
- Fair
- Sand

Even though there are a few minor spots I was about to declare fairing over when I accidentally hit the side with the edge of my RO Sander and put a good gouge in it. I guess that means one more coat of fairing.

Getting close to the point of painting or flipping and doing the inside. Who here paints first? Who glasses the inside first?

-- jaydillyo
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

On the smaller boats that are not too hard to flip, it's preferable to wait on the finish until all the build is done.
Hank

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Hi,

I agree with Hank, I flipped my FS14_LS before paint.

Now it´s full off hand marks, epoxy runs and scratches that will be easily fixed when I sand and re prime to paint.

Regards,

Carlos