OB19 build in Texas - I accidentally deleted my gallery They're trying to restore.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OB19 build in Texas

Post by peter-curacao »

Looking good let the mixing begin 8)

Steven

Post by Steven »

Spent a few hours trimming and shimming to get everything lined up to my liking. Glued between the stitches. Tomorrow morning I'll cut the stitches and glue the gaps. Sunday or Monday will be glass day.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Cut the stitches, pushed it outside and rounded over the edges. Thought I'd do the glass this weekend, but it will be raining tomorrow, so it will have to wait.

Next to the land barge for a little size perspective.

Last edited by Steven on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Getting close to Glass day. Doing one more check around to make sure everything is in order. Checking flatness of aft bottom panels. Found a problem on the port side bottom panel. Somehow, after checking and double checking, I managed to not get the the botom panel flat to the frames. There was a hump at the transom bulkhead from 1/3 way up from the chine down to the chine. I say 'was' because I sawed the hull side to bottom panel joint open from the transom 4' forward. The panel laid down flat with a little weight and I reglued the joint. So tomorrow I'll round over the joint and prep for a shoot through the hull transucer. Gonna rout a circular recess 6" in diameter 1/2 way through the hull panel. I'll glass it in with biax the night before I do the hull glassing. After the flip, I'll rout a 4" diameter hull just into the glass and fill it with biax and resin.

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Can you explain more about what you're gonna do for the transducer? You plan on there being pure glass for the transducer to shoot through right? :wink:
edit: okay I get it now :oops: I would be kinda scared to router that after the bottom's been painted. I cut the hole all the way through, put a temporary piece of backing covered in visqueen under it, and filled it in one shot. Maybe I'm missing something though?
Aloha

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Hey Fonda, don't worry, you're not missing anything. That's exactly how to do it. I only made the hole 2" in diameter and that's been plenty. Clean sounding to 600' at 25 knots. Not sure why Steven is making the hole so big and only going halfway through.

I just drilled the hole, duct taped across the inside of the hull, mixed up a cup of epoxy, and made up a mush of loose biaxial fibers until it was thick, and filled the hole in one shot. Ground it flat with Mr. Belt Sander, and glassed over normally.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I did mine just like LL, works like a champ :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Steven

Post by Steven »

Fonda@kauai wrote:Can you explain more about what you're gonna do for the transducer? You plan on there being pure glass for the transducer to shoot through right? :wink:
edit: okay I get it now :oops: I would be kinda scared to router that after the bottom's been painted. I cut the hole all the way through, put a temporary piece of backing covered in visqueen under it, and filled it in one shot. Maybe I'm missing something though?

Well, my thinking was that I would end up with a glass filler that overlapped a recess in the ply. I planned on routing from the inside down to the glass I added in the bigger hole from the outside. The inner hole would be just big enough for transducer. Cleary, based on LL and CL replies I was way over thinking the problem. I will be taking the much simpler path of drilling and filling. Just got my order of glass fibers, so I'll mix up a mush.

LL, did you dam up and create a wedge that was level to the water line so the transducer is shooting straight down and not at the angle of the hull?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Since mine has a flat bottom, it obviously wasn't necessary, But that's how I would do it with a V hull. Just put a plastic collar around it, like a butter container, tape around the outside and pour some goo in it. If the boat is level, gravity will level the thickened resin.

You'd never get a good reading if your Xducer was shooting off to the side.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

I cut a piece of 3" PVC, glued it to the hull. Poured in straight epoxy to get a level suface. Mounted the transducer about 1/8" above epoxy surface. Then I filled the well with mineral oil to completely submerge the transducer. Finally, capped the well and caulked around the cable.

Image OB17 Splashed June 2007