Page 1 of 1

PG22 built from CNC kit

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:55 pm
by tech_support
I have posted a gallery of pictures sent to me by one of our builders. This PG22 was built from our CNC kit. You will notice the MDF jig that is now part of our kits, this make the assembly much faster and more accurate than before.

here is a link to the gallery (over 100 pictures)....

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1080

A couple of the pictures to show the kits....

The builder wanted tp start using her before winter. So she is only primed at this point. I believe this is a dive boat, so they moved the weight to starboard so tanks will be on port side - she lists to starboard without the weight of the tanks. The boat was built in new port news VA, so you know this is probably the smallest "ship" they work on :)

Re: PG22 built from CNC kit

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:12 am
by Fonda@kauai
Some of those pics look eerily familiar :D Makes it seem like mine will actually be done one day :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:10 am
by saltponder
Joel,
In going through the photos, it appears that the bottom, everything below splash rails, was primed, then painted with expoxy/graphite, then re-primed. What is the primary purpose of the epoxy/graphite? Strength?
Gil

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:30 pm
by jacquesmm
I don't know what the builders intention was but the epoxy-graphite is there to provide resistance to abrasion.
If you don't like the color black, then you can paint over it.
I assume that's what he is doing.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:02 pm
by Jaap
what a fantastic time saver!! Nice boat a panga!

jaap

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:49 am
by saltponder
If one is going to coat the bottom with epoxy resin/graphite, is it necessary to prime coat the bottom of the hull if it has already been glassed and faired? Will the primer form a better bond than glass/resin that has been sanded?
Gil

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:29 am
by gk108
If you are going to coat with graphite/epoxy, that will function as the seal coat for the fairing compound, so you can skip the plain epoxy seal coat.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:07 pm
by saltponder
BTW, what a great addition, the CNC cut MDF board. Man, that would have saved inestimable time in my project.
Gil

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:41 am
by tech_support
saltponder wrote:BTW, what a great addition, the CNC cut MDF board. Man, that would have saved inestimable time in my project.
Gil
The CNC jig is perhaps more beneficial than the pre-cut panels and parts. The kits now have both.