OD18 in Arizona..SPLASHED..

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: OD18 in Arizona

Post by Bowmovement »

I know where Surprise is. Have a good buddy that lives in Phoenix. Looking forward to watch your OD18 come together. Where will you be using the boat?

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Matt
Just going to use it in the local lakes and over at the River. Lake Mohave and Lake Havasu and the River inbetween. Maybe a trip now and then to Rocky Point or Baja Side.
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Well it's not alot, but it's a start. Got 2 4x8 frames made and leveled. I'll use these to cut plywood and also a nice level pad for my build. The deck is 3/4" and frame build 16" on center.
Also got my plywood stacked flat and a 3/4" Partical board on top to hold everything flat.
After looking at this, thought I'd modify and build a temporary table for my saw. This way I can just slide the 3/4 over to the tempory table and rip it to width for the stringers. Also for the Rub Rails. Only takes a couple of minutes to add it or remove it.

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Nice shop. Lots of room.

I see some quad tires in the background. What do you ride?

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

OK, let the questions begin. Please bear with me, other than operating and riding on a few boats, boating is new to me as are most boating terms. The FL14 was the first boat I ever owned, and Built :D

First questions come from reading the plans. There are a few parts that i don't understand. "Transom Brace" it shows 4, I can't see or understand where these go :doh:

Next is the two pieces right under Mold B, (you will need the plans to see these) I can send picture if necessory. They are 2' - 6 3/4" with a 2 1/4" curve. I was thinking casting deck? but with those measurements the deck would be 8' from the front.

These questions may have been ask before, but I couldn't find the answer. I always do searches to try to locate the answer before asking the question.

Also is there any problem with making Mold E out of 3/4" partical board as a temp mold? Reason is I need 6" of that piece of 3/4 for part of the stringer. When making the stringers a full 6" and losing 1/8" per saw cut I can only get 7 pieces out of the full sheet.

Thanks in advance,
Larry B

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

There are only 2 transom braces, they will form the motorwell sides. The nesting is just showing you possible locations to cut them from the panels.

The 2 pieces shown under mold B will form the casting deck. I wouldn't cut these out yet. You may want to modify them later, mine is much larger than that. Even if you want to build it to plan, you will get a better fit if you wait to take measurements from the hull after it is assembled.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

CL, thanks for the info, but I guess I'm alittle slow. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer :doh:

I understand the motorwell sides, but I thought they were the Quarter Seat Side's with the notch cut out for the clamping board??
This is where I'm having a problem understanding it??

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Give me a drawing number, Larry
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Cracker Larry wrote:Give me a drawing number, Larry
D212/3

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I understand the motorwell sides, but I thought they were the Quarter Seat Side's with the notch cut out for the clamping board??
Same part, just different terminology. It is both the motorwell side and the quarter seat side.

OK. Top left corner D212/3 shows the quarter seat sides, with notch for clamping board. There will be 2 of these, but they do not get installed yet.

Just below that are the transom braces. There are 2 of these. These are just temporary and will be temp installed to the stringers, to align and attach the transom. Later in the build you will remove these and replace them permanently with the motorwell (quarter seat) sides.

Below that is the seat tops.

Don't worry about 4 transom braces shown on the nesting, same page, that's just to give you an idea of best places to cut them from.

Does that make sense?