OD18 in Arizona..SPLASHED..

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 in Arizona

Post by Larry B »

CL, thanks for that information. I all makes sense now.
So it would be ok to make the transom braces out of any wood, doesnt' really need to be Marine ply? Also did you see my other question about making mold E out of 3/4 partical board?
Thanks for your help on this,
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

No, the transom braces really don't need to be marine ply, they aren't permanent.

Mold E on the other hand will be cut down and become Frame E, the motorwell bulkhead. It needs to be 3/4 marine ply, at least in the end. It can initially be anything. Craig and I both didn't make that cutout in Frame E, we cut it straight across and made a splashwell. Now is the time to really think about what modifications you might want to make.

Here are my transom braces

The actual seat/or motorwell sides don't get glassed in until after the sole goes on, as well as the upper part of the frame. You can see how I cut frame E straight across..

Now framed in for seat tops and splash well top (not on the plans)

Then the top goes on..

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

CL, thanks. That answers my questions very well. I do want to make my motor well like you and craig did. I think it looks very good and functional. I hope you guys don't mind, but I'd like to copy most of the things you did. You guys are way more experienced than I am about boats. I really liked the way you have the sump and bait wells in the back. and I'll probably copy the lockers up front pretty close also. I've learned in my old age to listen to people who know what they are talking about. I' ve gone over your pictures and craigs alot, just thought I might be missing something as I didn't really understand it all.

I'm going to rip a 6" piece off the 3/4 for my other piece of stringer. Then I'll cut the final motor well after the flip and sole install. Pretty sure I'm on the right track now.
Ordered my epoxy kit and hoping it is here this week.

Hope I'm not being a pita or become one :help:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

No problem 8) When in doubt, ask before you cut :D
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Bowmovement wrote:Nice shop. Lots of room.

I see some quad tires in the background. What do you ride?

Matt
I've got a Yamaha Rhino

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Larry B wrote:
Bowmovement wrote:Nice shop. Lots of room.

I see some quad tires in the background. What do you ride?

Matt
I've got a Yamaha Rhino
Very nice. We do alot of desert stuff. I dont have anymore toys :x sold everything when I got hurt. I have a good buddy who just got one of the new Polaris Artic Cats. He let me drive a couple of weekends ago and I wasnt a big fan. Almost rolled the thing. :help: Went to turn around and cut the wheel hard then hammer down and next thing I know I am up on 2 wheels. 8O All I could think was I better save this cause I cant afford to fix it. I cut the wheels hard the other way and hammered down again and we rode away like I knew what I was doing :D

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Starting to cut my stringers. Took the time to get one right and now I just copy it. Not anything real exciting about the pictures but thought I'd post them anyway. Won't get my epoxy till Nov. 3, that will give me time to get alot of stuff cut out.
I'm not very fast, But I sure am slow :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Took the time to get one right and now I just copy it. Not anything real exciting
Not at all, a very important point to make a pattern and perfectly duplicate parts. The router with the guide collar and straight cutting bit is an excellent method 8) You will do well with this build, I can tell :D

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

The hardest part was figuring out the added 1/2" on the stringer. It makes the overall length longer. 11/16" to be exact. But thats the only part I'm making bigger so the rest should be simple. Usually I'd use a router bit with the bearing on the bottom, but I didn't have a sharp one and found this one. Had to do about 3 passes because of the bit size but it worked out ok. Yes you guys build reports are great and I'm useing alot of info in them. Just thought I'd post as I go so maybe someone can pick up a new idea or better yet put a couple of idea's together and come up with a wonderful idea. I've learned everything I know about boat building here on the forum, and what a great bunce of people here. If I can just contribute alittle bit or one idea, it will be worth my time spent here.

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Looking good. We like pictures around here.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."