Joe's P19 RE-LAUNCH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Joe's P19

Post by Joe H »

Got a little work done this weekend on the P19, finished cutting the side panels on the CNC machine, I was way off on the rpm's, we were turning 2500rpms @ a feed rate 10" every 2 ½ minutes in order not to splinter the plywood.

I splice the bottom panels together and temporarily place them on the frame, more or less just to get them out of the way so I could splice the sides together, I was able to do the lower sides but it looked like the weather was turning nice and I think my OD16 was getting a little jealous of all the time I was spending in the garage with another boat so I went out fishing.
BTW: I made what I hope is a small mistake when splicing the lower sides together but if no one can see it from the pictures I think I'll just let it go and deal with it later.

Kind regards
Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That sure is a pretty OD16 8)

Big boats looking good, just fix it and move on :wink: Is it just the camera lense, or does the rear portion of the bottom have a hook along the keel?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Joe, glad to see that you are boat building and fishing :) Is that a thunderstorm I see behind your OD in the pic :doh:
Good luck on your boat and say hi to Janet from Sandi and I. Hope to see you in Boca Grande next year....

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

I can't tell dimensions very well from the pictures, but it looks like the sum of the two side panels just adds up to the length of the bulkhead sides. The upper side panel is supposed to overlap the bottom panel by a several inches. If the former is true you are working with an earlier set of drawings that had the dimensional mistake. I hope for your sake I am just imagining this. (You can see the whole story by starting with my post of March 10, 2007 on the P19 side panels and following the discussion until the panel drawings were changed in late March.) Otherwise, go for it. The next few weeks are very rewarding.
As for possible hook in the hull, just shim on top of the stringers until everything is dead flat before you get serious about taping the joints.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Wow, Eric I read your post and had to go out and measure right away, I'm good with 6" of overlap.

I just put the fiberglass splice on the wrong side, I had it all laid out on the floor and was reading the building notes and they said to put the splice on the outside of the lower and upper sides so I hurried and flip them over and put on the splice, sat down in my thinking chair and noticed I put them on the wrong side, ha, too late.

Good eye Larry, I have to adjust the stringers under the bottom ply yet but it's not nearly as bad as the picture show's it.
I love that OD16, Richard we were heading out to do some night fishing in the river for walleye, it was great weather all day until we got to our destination and that storm came out of nowhere, we pulled up to someones island to find shelter and drink a couple of beers until the storm blew over, never did get to fish, but that's okay we had a blast driving home in 3 to 4 footers and a good reminder of why I'm building the P19, we got our butts kicked but the OD16 held up just fine.
Man, I really want to go to Boca Grande but just don't know yet, soon. Tell Sandi we said hello.

Joe H

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Your OD is pretty Joe. :D

I can't wait to see your P19.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Sorry for the false alarm. That extra hull work is forever burned into my memory.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

I didn't quite understand your comments on the splices. Just make sure that the fiberglass splices near the bow include the outside of the panels. Those pieces are under a lot of stress due to the hull shape. You will not get a fair curve if the panel does not have a lot of strength at the splice. It is fun watching another P19 come together. You will be the first to post pictures of a hull the way Jacques designed it.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Joe isn't that typical midwest/Great Lakes weather. :cry: I have never been out on the lakes when it hasn't changed for either the worst or the better. :lol: :x

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Eric, I put the fiberglass splice on the inside of the lower panel, it was supposed to go on the outside, I don't think it will be a big deal? I'm glad you are watching my build, I'll try and document it as a go along and I'll have a lot more questions.

Thanks Murray, I really like the OD16 but I don't know how to slow down in a chop and end up really hurting after a day out on the water and as Tom pointed out the weather seems to catch me off guard way to often, the bay I live on is called choppy Anchor Bay for a reason, I need a "V" bottom!

Joe H