Joe's P19 RE-LAUNCH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Joe's P19 RE-LAUNCH

Post by justin_dwyer »

Thanks Joe, they are great pictures.
Rider looks like a pretty cool customer 8)

The idea is to have the cabin for the two little ones to sleep in while Mum and I fish :lol:

How does she go with a 90?
I am thinking of putting a 115hp on it so I can load it up with fuel, water and camping gear. I am thinking of putting two fuel tanks in.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Hey Justin, I think you would do much better with the 115, the 90hp is okay, I can get up to 36mph according to the GPS with just me in the boat but get her heavily loaded and the 90 struggles, she has a stock prop on her now I may go with a stainless.
I have a relatively small fuel tank, 25 gal hasn’t been an issue yet.
I just installed an on board 2 bank battery charger over the weekend, very nice option to have.
The idea is to have the cabin for the two little ones to sleep in while Mum and I fish
Same reasoning for me with the Grand kid’s, they love it, the cabin is their fort and the boat is their pirate ship!

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Rogerdog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerdog »

Is Rider a young whippet, or is he an Italian greyhound? I have a whippet named Jack who has very similar color markings.

That is a beautiful boat.

Wayne

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Thanks Wayne,
I've read Larry's stories about Jacks adventures, I was hoping to see some pictures of him, we have had a couple of rescued whippets in the past but Rider is an Italian greyhound, he's something else but he does love going for boat rides!

Your boat is out of control, fantastic.

Joe H

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I was hoping to see some pictures of him
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Joe H wrote:Hey Justin, I think you would do much better with the 115, the 90hp is okay, I can get up to 36mph according to the GPS with just me in the boat but get her heavily loaded and the 90 struggles, she has a stock prop on her now I may go with a stainless.
I have a relatively small fuel tank, 25 gal hasn’t been an issue yet.
I just installed an on board 2 bank battery charger over the weekend, very nice option to have. Joe H
I would rather have the power and not use it than flog an undersized one(I think I'd get better fuel economy that way too).
Good idea with the on board chargers, does that just run off the motor, you would need to do a few miles for it to get any charge in there wouldn't you (sorry if this is a silly question, electrics will be my least favourite part of my build)
Joe H wrote:Same reasoning for me with the Grand kid’s, they love it, the cabin is their fort and the boat is their pirate ship!
I can see that game being played as well, expect Dad will be the fishing pirate and the cabin will be the locked dungeon :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Good idea with the on board chargers, does that just run off the motor
Hi Justin, sorry for the late reply, the on board battery charger has to be plug into an outlet, that way it keeps a constant full charge well she's moored behind the house, the motor keeps the cranking battery charged for the most part but I also have a deep cycle trolling battery that I use for the trolling motor and windlass, this is the one I have,

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-X ... /10224683/

Joe H

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Justin you can run your extension cord to a plug like this which leads to your charger. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/ ... _104205780

This will allow you to not even have to step into the boat depending where you place it to plug in your extension cord to your battery charger. I am not promoting this brand as I believe there may be better ones out there but it shows the best way IMHO to connect a charging system whether you have a 1,2 or 3 bank system to an extension cord.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Thanks guys, that is a great idea I hadn't thought about...I will definitely think about it now though.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That is very cool, I hope my boss doesn't see that or I'll be installing 2 of them :help: :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose