SmokyMountain's PH18 Build in E. TN****SPLASHED****

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SmokyMountain's PH18 Build in E. TN****SPLASHED****

Post by SmokyMountain »

Mr. Monk, say, is that Kiwi grip their white or grey ?

How is the fishing going?
The Kiwi Grip is a light grey. I got white and went to Lowes and found a grey I liked and had them add the color. I wouldn't recommend white, it will be really bright in the sunlight. Fishing here in the E. TN mountains has been pretty good. I haven't got the boat out yet, too much soccer going on all week and weekends...... going to rectify that this weekend. 8)

Andrew

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

It's about time you crawled out from under a soccer ball Andy, :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks Andy. I am going to look at the white and see, i would like it as light as possible. Good luck with the soccer and the impending fishing!
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Andy, not sure if you still check your thread, but wanted to check to see how your liking the boat?

Also, I'm getting close to the end and because I am using a jet I am getting nervous about the weight of mine. I know you did quite of bit of customization of the deck layouts which added weight above and beyond the design weight and I was curious if you had every weighed the boat and/or had an approximate weight.

Hope all is well.

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

Dustinwg,

All is well and still love the Phantom. Going to be down around Cape San Blas the week of the Oct. 10 and looking forward to fishing in St. Joe Bay and Apalachicola Bay. Hate to miss the meet but it's a week shifted...

As to the exact weight, I'm not sure. Even with a few of my modifications she's a light boat, draft is what barely 6" and easy to tow. I always meant to go to the local landfill and use their scales to figure it out. She'll do 40mph with one person: Suzuki 90 with 18" prop.

I can get her on plane in than 10" water with trim tabs down and jacked up 3-4" . On plane she's very skinny with a traditional prop and jacked up, your jet will be scary skinny!!

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

That area in Florida is an awesome spot. Went down to Carrabelle (only about 40 miles) several years with a couple buddies, and we had a blast.

The only reason I am worried, is because of the efficiency lost from the Jet (30%). Talked to the jet manufacturer and their recommendation is for a 90 hp powerhead that the total weight (boat, motor, people and gear) needs to stay under 2,000 lbs. From my figuring I'm am going to be right there. Guess if she doesn't get up right, I will just have to go on a diet!

Hope yall have a great trip to Florida and catch em up! Thanks for the info.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Andy, I'd like to get/make a bench cushion like the one behind your console. Can you tell me how yours came to be? And what you use to secure it? Your boat remains an inspiration to me, btw.

Thanks, Will

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

Beautifull. Great job Brad. How did you and Andy make out after all the fires?
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

I'm totally blown away by this beautiful build. First time seeing this build thread and when I have a little time plan on reading from the beginning. I didn't realize how nice this hull design was, and the workmanship is truly world class. Hope I get the chance to build one someday. A great inspiration for any builder. Mike

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

willg wrote:Andy, I'd like to get/make a bench cushion like the one behind your console. Can you tell me how yours came to be? And what you use to secure it? Your boat remains an inspiration to me, btw.
Willg,

Sorry of the late response. I had an local upholstery guy make one for me. It's made out of marine nargerhide ??, and had a rubber guide sewn that is rounded (male) that slides into an aluminum strip (female) that is screwed onto the boat. I'll take a couple of pictures to show you exactly what I mean. I appreciate you kind words from you and seaslug :oops: .

As far as the fires, I'm in Maryville and Bradley is in Seymour; which we had some local fires but nothing like Gatlinburg and some areas around Pigeon Forge. I lack the words, when seeing the devastation .... a lot of people lost everything....

Thanks

Andrew