Mark's PH18 in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
HiImNuts2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mark's PH18 in Toronto

Post by HiImNuts2 »

Hi Mark,
You were referred to me in a post on here and I am building a PH16 with a bass boat design in mind. I am a complete boat building novice and have never built a boat in my life but planning to give it the old collage try here. I have two adult grandchildren that love to fresh water fish and they are anxious to get underway with this build. I am looking to build a twin console as well however I cant find anything online that I can either buy or build, I was hoping you have some ideas. I'm looking to make this boat with two seats and a flat platform deck. My plans for the PH16 just came in and I'm totally lost looking at them since the plans reflect a center console. it is in the hopes after reading a few books I'll figure it out and get the build started in the next month or so. I have a great working space and the tools I need I just don't have a clue so I'd like to correspond with you on your build to learn a few things and perhaps make this a possibility.
I hail from the great White North growing up on Cape Bretton Island in Nova Scotia and came to the states with my family as a child in the mid sixty's and have remained a citizen of Canada, I have a summer home in Cape Bretton and am hoping to fish the lakes and inland water ways there. If this request is ok with you I'd like to ask some building questions and perhaps get whatever advice you can give.
Thanks Mark
Be Well
Dave

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Mark's PH is a work of art 8)
I am a complete boat building novice and have never built a boat in my life but planning to give it the old collage try here.
Everybody starts as a novice. The trick is, don't try to understand every step at once. Break it down into little bites, like I'm having to do with my new teeth :help: Take it one step at a time. Learn everything you need to do for the first step, which will be the building jig. Take your time and make it strong and true. Then focus on the next step, cutting parts, learn what you need to know, take your time, ask questions before you do it wrong. Then the next, then the next....it's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. You cannot eat it or absorb it all at once, just take it one step at a time. Learn what you need to complete that step, then move to the next. Many people on this forum with no previous woodworking or fiberglass experience have turned out some mighty fine and beautiful boats. You can too, if you want to.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:Mark's PH is a work of art 8)

Yeah it sucked we missed him in Toronto, would have loved to see his build, but hey work comes first, him being occupied did give us a great day in Toronto though, what a nice and beautiful city, especially the park on the island 8)

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Wow thanks Guys. Sorry I have been busy, my Phantom was supposed to squeeze in just prior to the busy season when about 1000 people in the market area would suddenly want all their work doNE and boats in the water for the Canadian Long weekend, but alas I lost a few weeks. I'll have some update pictures for you shortly as she is back in the garage painted and final steps underway.

Dave - seriously I would consider going with a really basic center console PH18 wood core like the smart guys do it. I did everything g the hard and expensive way as I had a particular outcom in mind.

If I may, time is so precious and I would reccomended the above so you can get on the water with a roomy, light boat sooner rather a than later. My fondest memories with my Grandfather were in a pretty ugly boat and I don't even remember what color it was. Sorry if this sounds preachy.

If you wanted to go composite route I figured a way to router Coosa board for my type of deck instead of building a mould like I did. Tricky stuff and nasty prickly dust too by the way but way easy to work with.

I am in Markham, feel free to drop a line.

Four won sex niner niner five one tree too sex if you want to text
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

MarkOrge wrote:I'll have some update pictures for you shortly as she is back in the garage painted and final steps underway.
Looking forward to seeing the pics of her painted. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

sorry guys it has been so crazy busy I have to do some batch updating... I have been remiss in my sharing of recent successes. Got her back a few weeks ago from the paint shop. Although I was not happy with over spray in my hatches... she is one shiny beast. Awlgrip White... they took a long time as with work as I had to pay them to do a lot of the fine finishing and imperfections I just didn't have to got get to. I also didn't quite miss the busy season when they have to get thousands of boats unwrapped from winter and into the water for our boating season. Here she is right out of the shop. Pictures don't do the shinyness justice, she is BRIGHT

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mark, the paint looks great!! Send us some updates when you have time!! Jeff

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

8) 8) I think if I ever have to paint another one of any size, I'm going to take it a paint shop and have it professionally sprayed too. As many as I've painted, I still suck at it and it takes me forever. I'm slow but I do poor work :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Got her home and put her back on the cradle and in the garage, bolted lots of stuff on that was dry fit, then called up brother in law with the boom truck and put her back on the cradle so we could finish....

And safely on the trailer again... more work to do....

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

I may be wrong but If it were mine I would have mounted the jack plate flush with top of transom.This will allow you to get the full lift out of the jack plate.Any one else? Feel free to jump in on this. Most all I have seen and installed were flush with top as I said. ????? :doh: :doh: :doh:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.